Favorite Enclosure for Four Button Footswitch?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Charlie Wilson

Re: Favorite Enclosure for Four Button Footswitch?

Post by Charlie Wilson »

OK, some I am finally going to wire this thing up but trying to figure out current limiting resistors for the LEDS. My guess is that originally there were four switchable functions and that at a later time Dumble added the fifth Jazz/Rock function. This would have been easy if he removed the 1K resistors on the power board and simply put a jumper. Then the appropriate series resistors could be added to the footswitch. Instead, he chose to parallel the four 1K resistors which is fine if only one LED is lit as it would add 250 ohm to whatever resistor I put in the footswitch. However, I have to assume that the device may be used with one up to five functions engaged at the same time which would have the effect of five times the 250 ohm or 1250 ohm (added to the value of each series resistor I have in the footswitch). I guess this would be easier if I had the device and simply tried different resistor values but I am working off pictures and phone calls. Any ideas?
CW
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Is there anything stopping you from adding a jumper over the paralleled resistors? It’d be much easier to get uniform brightness that way. Maybe that means someone on the other end would have to do that?
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

martin manning wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:41 pm Is there anything stopping you from adding a jumper over the paralleled resistors? It’d be much easier to get uniform brightness that way. Maybe that means someone on the other end would have to do that?
Yes that would be the ideal way to do it but the customer seems to not want me to alter the device at all. He also doesn't mind if the LEDs dim a bit if all five are engaged. So I think the plan is to lite the LEDs with 20mA of current if one is engaged with a 265 ohm or so resistor plus the 250 ohm resistance on the power supply board. This should give me enough current if for some reason all five are engaged. Maybe a slightly larger resistor for the Blue LED( 20 mA 8.7 mcd 3.3v).
CW
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Well, here is what I came up with. Get to play through the preamp and some other Dumble amplifiers tomorrow. :D
CW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Can’t wait to hear back!

Thanks,
Aaron
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Well I had a good Dumble day today. :D Footswitch worked perfectly. All functions switched as they should and the LED brightness was perfect. My friend/customer was thrilled that I could figure it out from some pictures. Got to look at and hear some great Dumble amps also.
CW
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Great that it worked out. Was there any LED dimming issues, especially the switches with the shared power?

Thanks,
Aaron
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Aaron, no dimming issues. I was surprised. My customer thought it was funny that I was being such a nerd about the LEDs.
CW
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:25 pm Aaron, no dimming issues. I was surprised. My customer thought it was funny that I was being such a nerd about the LEDs.
Sort of a matter of professional pride, isn't it? Thanks for the interesting report!