Fuchs ODS 30

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

gsb

Fuchs ODS 30

Post by gsb »

Hi!
My friend plays blues /jazz here in Graz -Austria with FUCHS ODS 30. Amp is 10 years old in absolute mint conditon used mostly in studio.Sound ist superb and all functions worked fine.Only one thing he complained is litle buzz when he set reverb from 9 -13 o clock .Buzz ist for me minimal an is not changing with other setings .I have asked him how are the tubes -all original ( 10 years old !) Amp was delivered with 2 6l6 . I will retube it with new tubes ,power tubes are cathode bias ? I need any info for setup and tubes that can be used 5751 ,7025 ,brands etc . I have TAD Tube dealer here in Germany.

Thanks gsb
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
j0k3335

Re: Fuchs ODS 30

Post by j0k3335 »

gsb wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:38 pm Hi!
My friend plays blues /jazz here in Graz -Austria with FUCHS ODS 30. Amp is 10 years old in absolute mint conditon used mostly in studio.Sound ist superb and all functions worked fine.Only one thing he complained is litle buzz when he set reverb from 9 -13 o clock .Buzz ist for me minimal an is not changing with other setings .I have asked him how are the tubes -all original ( 10 years old !) Amp was delivered with 2 6l6 . I will retube it with new tubes ,power tubes are cathode bias ? I need any info for setup and tubes that can be used 5751 ,7025 ,brands etc . I have TAD Tube dealer here in Germany.

Thanks gsb
mine is a combo ... as old as this one ! And Sounds really good !

Of course, some "NOS" 12ax7 tubes can improve the sounds, and I use such of them ( Sylvania, Brimar, ... ).

Don't believe people who say that "the Sounds of the Dumble come from the preamp -it's true- so, the power tubes are less important -it's NOT true- and I've tried a lot of different
NOS 6L6 ( yes , I better like to use it with 2 x 6L6 instead of 4 x 6V6 : I'm a 6L6 lover :) ) : Old Sylvania, Philips STR415, STR386 = at each time some different flavors .

I try, today, a set of 6l6gc sed winged c and they are in the same level ! ... may be they have a little bit less mid (?) and give some more "fender" flavour on my Clean !

But, I'm sorry I can give you brands of some "present" tubes ... but I understand that NOS tubes are expensive ! : there are a lot of topic concerning tubes choice == read them, they are really interesting ! ( TAD 6L6 seems to be good , the JJ 6L6 which were original on my Ceriatone Bluesmaster were not too bad and not too expensive ... but a little far from a good set of STR 415 :mrgreen: TAD makes a copy of these STR , may be interesting ?!)

And one advice that was given to me here , that I really understand : Don't use NOS == too expensive, and , when you will have to retube, probably difficult to find the "SAME" NOS tubes ...

... I will see that when my NOS stock will be close to empty ... but it will take some years :mrgreen:
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Robben Ford, Larry Carlton don't use NOS tubes in their famous Dumbles...they use new JJ's

I've used new JJ's in all my Dumbles in the power section and they're great. I mostly use them in the pre amp section two , but have also used new EH, Sylvania fro good results.

M
j0k3335

Post by j0k3335 »

norburybrook wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:08 pm Robben Ford, Larry Carlton don't use NOS tubes in their famous Dumbles...they use new JJ's

I've used new JJ's in all my Dumbles in the power section and they're great. I mostly use them in the pre amp section two , but have also used new EH, Sylvania fro good results.

M
That's for this reason , that I repeat, in my post : "And one advice that was given to me here , that I really understand : Don't use NOS == too expensive, and , when you will have to retube, probably difficult to find the "SAME" NOS tubes ".

So if you find the right "new" tube for the right place, I'm sure you can get real good results !

But anyway, you have to buy some different brands and try them ... and as I've a lot of NOS tubes why going to buy new one's ? :)

"Robben Ford, Larry Carlton don't use NOS tubes in their famous Dumbles...they use new JJ's" : Yes, but my amps are NOT fine tune/tweak by Alexander, Brandon or, in my case, Andy :oops: :D

But yes, it's better to find the right new tubes : less expensive, you can get great results and you can get the same one each time you have to retube, I agree :wink:
drew

Post by drew »

gsb wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:38 pm I will retube it with new tubes ,power tubes are cathode bias ? I need any info for setup and tubes that can be used 5751 ,7025 ,brands etc . I have TAD Tube dealer here in Germany.
The amplifier is not cathode-biased. The procedure for setting the bias is explained in the manual : https://www.manualslib.com/manual/63774 ... =13#manual

Please pay careful attention to the safety warnings!

Edit: Disregard the above. See post from fuchsaudio below
Last edited by drew on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j0k3335

Post by j0k3335 »

drew wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:42 am
gsb wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:38 pm I will retube it with new tubes ,power tubes are cathode bias ? I need any info for setup and tubes that can be used 5751 ,7025 ,brands etc . I have TAD Tube dealer here in Germany.
The amplifier is not cathode-biased. The procedure for setting the bias is explained in the manual : https://www.manualslib.com/manual/63774 ... =13#manual

Please pay careful attention to the safety warnings!
Oh, very surprising ?! It must depend on the year of manufacture? mine is cathode bias and I can use it with either 6L6 or four 6V6.
If Andy Fuchs goes through the forum, he can probably tell us either the year of transition or if there are both models?
I think this is a peculiarity of the ODS30: all other ODS are fixed bias (?) . (my ODS50 head was)

Btw thanks for the manual :wink:
gsb

Post by gsb »

hi,
amp is cathode bias with 330 ohm resistor build 2007.Thanks for advice i will use some new tubes probably TAD
gsb
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Our ods30 is cathode bias. All other models are fixed bias. The cathode resistor moved to 470 in later amps, which is wise to change.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
gsb

Post by gsb »

Hi
Thanks for advice Mr.Fuchs ,your technic support (Mr.Rich) was amazing to answer my questions.Cathode bias resistor 470ohm must be 50w ? About this litle buzz by turning reverb up -i will wait and first retube amp also clean rca conectors and replace reverb cables.
thanks gsb :D