#102-a truly versatile amp

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Re: #102-a truly versatile amp

Post by M Fowler »

Marcus,

Saw an early 1980's Fender Esprit Flame pre Robben Ford signature guitar I was told. Not sure if it's value
but rare guitar to Find in Fargo, North Dakota. I do not know much about the Esprit history.

Mark
fred.violleau

#102-a truly versatile amp

Post by fred.violleau »

M Fowler wrote:Marcus,

Saw an early 1980's Fender Esprit Flame pre Robben Ford signature guitar I was told. Not sure if it's value
but rare guitar to Find in Fargo, North Dakota. I do not know much about the Esprit history.

Mark
I used to own one, but ended selling it.
There are 3 build types, I owned the entry level. The main differences are tuners, bridge and inlays on the neck. The guitar has cavities in the body and was build to a competitor to the Gibson Les Paul.

I must say the neck through is gorgeous. Fast and easy to play. I liked the balance of the instrument, but the main problem are the PickUps. Decent in clean but horrible when distorted. I did not want to alter the original configuration and had it in a black finish , so I choose to sell it.

There was not so many of these japanese guitar built. Some site say a few hundreds.. and overall not more than a few thousands.

Humble and Dumble,

Fred.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Interesting, indeed! Would you mind posting a link to which schematic and layout you used? 8)
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Aurora wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:59 pm Interesting, indeed! Would you mind posting a link to which schematic and layout you used? 8)
I used the one from the Dumble files section, look for #102, exactly as it is except for it being 50w, having a power Transformer wound with a extra secondary for the relays, and using a OT with 4-8-16 oh taps. I've built two exactly the same and they both sound pretty much identical.

I still use the 100w filtering though on the power board (2x220uF), not sure if it makes any difference, I did try with using 2x 110uf but couldn't hear any noticeable difference on one build but put the 100w ones back as they matched so looked nicer :D

Marcus
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Oh - thanks alot , Marcus...
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

norburybrook wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:26 am
Aurora wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:59 pm Interesting, indeed! Would you mind posting a link to which schematic and layout you used? 8)
I used the one from the Dumble files section, look for #102, exactly as it is except for it being 50w, having a power Transformer wound with a extra secondary for the relays, and using a OT with 4-8-16 oh taps. I've built two exactly the same and they both sound pretty much identical.

I still use the 100w filtering though on the power board (2x220uF), not sure if it makes any difference, I did try with using 2x 110uf but couldn't hear any noticeable difference on one build but put the 100w ones back as they matched so looked nicer :D

Marcus
Hi norburybrook,

after a dozen Dumbles built only to "hear how it sounds" I was hesitant about building a #102. I built a #124, perhaps my first Dumble, but it didn't excite me and I was convinced that the construction of the various models had been a necessity to improve himself and improve performance, I hadn't connected the development process at the time, to the tastes changed, to the taste and needs of the guitarists for whom he had later built.
Now I understand that the development of these amplifiers was a combination of all these variables.
I personally prefer the series that still recall, more or less, the sound of the Fenders albeit with a very personal Dumble sound.
I have read your experience with interest and I have a question before starting, did you use the layout of the #102 low plate classic or the high plate skylainer?
Thanks and a hug. Franco
franco mezzalira
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

norburybrook wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:28 pm I've been in the studio this week recording a solo album after years as a sideman/producer.

the #102 has been my go to amp for a wide variety of tracks.

here's a little taster of what a lovely clean sound it can produce. The cab is the ported 'larry carlton' EVM-12L mic'd with an SM57, and a 1960's Neumann U67. Guitar straight into the amp. Telecaster with an 'Oil City' hand wound P90. Reverb and FX added later.

https://youtu.be/BNoYTQ8_7D0

M
The thoughtfulness of this playing is incredible. I love the way the chromatic part develops up to the D-G-D-G-G' part and then returns. Wonderful music, and what a great sounding amplifier.

The full up tune on your website reminds me of this song by Charlie Hunter called Dersu from his Ready, Set, Shango! album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1DdfTCAb8A
Just plug it in, man.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

:)

@Franco, it's so long ago I can't remember much about the build TBH, I did a full build thread so I think all the info will be on there.

@ViperDoc , thankyou for the kind words :) I can't believe 5 years have passed and I still haven't finished the follow up album.

I've been really busy playing/producing so haven't had much time to record my own material and build amps, hence I've not been around these parts for a good while.

I hope everyone is well and still doing what they do.

Marcus