Sonny Landreth witth John Hiatt

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dreric

Sonny Landreth witth John Hiatt

Post by dreric »

Just a Dumble geek moment.

I saw John Hiatt with Sonny Landreth on guitar last night. Sonny was paying his Dumble and I was in direct line to the amp.

Fantastic sounding amp, does anyone know what Sonny plays? He's also an amazing player, incredible finesse and control. They are on tour for the 25th anniversary of Slow Turning, it was a great show.
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440
martin manning

Re: Sonny Landreth witth John Hiatt

Post by martin manning »

norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

That makes me feel old! My first band were the opening act for John's 'bring the family' tour where he first used Sonny and the boys. We did the European leg. It was a great time and the Two bands became friends. Sonny blew me away the first time I saw him soundchecking for the first show. He was playing an old Firebird. Sonny was the live replacement for Ry Cooder who'd done the album. John then used this new live band for the next few albums, the next one being Slow Turning. Halcyon days [emoji3]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Last edited by norburybrook on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

"Little Village" was the album with super group Ry Cooder, Nick Lowe, and Jim Keltner. Not John or Ry's best work in my opinion, but a decent album. "Brng The Family" is a masterpiece,
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

telentubes wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:36 am "Little Village" was the album with super group Ry Cooder, Nick Lowe, and Jim Keltner. Not John or Ry's best work in my opinion, but a decent album. "Brng The Family" is a masterpiece,
I agree 100%, I always use little village as an example of what makes a band. To me a band is greater than the sum of it's parts, little village were the opposite :D

Bring the family is indeed a masterpiece, but the next two albums are great too. He went off the boil a bit then.

when I look back that was a vey fertile time for me without knowing it at the time, after the John Hiatt tour , we then did the same for Stevie Ray Vaughan, Robert Cray, Los Lobos.

Deric, the original band was John Hiatt. Sonny Landreth, Dave Ranson on bass and Kenny Blevins on drums. Did he have those guys?

Marcus