Help With Two Rock OT Swap

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

Re: Help With Two Rock OT Swap

Post by norburybrook »

I think one has to factor in the weird phenomenon that the same amp will sound different day to day too, and I'm not talking about different venues when on tour, I'm talking about the same rig in the same place with the same mics etc.

the other day I couldn't get the sweet singing OD I had on one track I'd recorded two days previously with the same guitar,amp settings and mics.....go figure ......

all part of the charm of the 'real thing'

M
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

There are those stories about artists taking one device or another on tour to insure that just the right voltage is supplied to the amp. I think Robben Ford did that, at least for a while. I don't know what other variables might cause changes in an amp. Seems like environmental things like humidity would be more likely to affect the guitar.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Martin,

Yes, voltage is one of those things I'm aware of that does make a noticeable difference. I helped a friend set up his rig at my house before a gig last year and it was sounding great.

His gig was on a boat with a generator. When I spoke to him the next day he said his rig sounded awful.

In my case in my studio, my suspicions are; I was the variable in the equation. My mental state, physical state (was I tired?-yes) and also the song/key/style have a big part to play.

I spend a lot of my life producing and mixing tracks and some tracks just fall together easily, others from the same batch will need a lot of work.

It's an interesting discussion, probably shouldn't derail this thread anymore though :D

M
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

I hate that when it happens. I was playing at band practice I'm thinking to my self do I suck that bad???
Well it was a axial capacitor broken lead making contact most of the time but not that day I could not see it with the naked eye chop sticking around I found it.
Voltage charting the amp didn't help any. Enough said.