SSS with OD channel - step filter location?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dbeasley

SSS with OD channel - step filter location?

Post by dbeasley »

Greetings!

I have been musing the idea of building a SSS and integrating a low plate classic OD section into the amp. I was curious as to where the placement of the step filters would go in this arrangement:

Before the OD channel would allow some control over the frequencies being clipped going into the OD, but could load the signal down excessively and neuter the drive levels

Post OD could be cool as well - it would provide some tone shaping like a HRM or HF taper setup. My guess is that it would load the signal down less in post configuration, especially since it's coming right before an active mixer stage.

Thoughts on which would work better or worse?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

martin manning

Re: SSS with OD channel - step filter location?

Post by martin manning »

Third option: put it in front of the loop send so you can use it for both OD and Clean. I had the thought to build the filter into a Hammond box so I could plug it in at the loop jacks.
dbeasley

Post by dbeasley »

So post OD, Reverb wet, and just before the PI entrance?

martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Is your OD channel a cascaded set up like an ODS? If so then I think post OD, before the mixer, would be closest to the SSS original philosophy. Just before the PI would be an interesting experiment though, EQ’ing everything. That’d require an attenuator where the filter was originally located, and maybe some tweaking to match it to being cathode driven.
dbeasley

Post by dbeasley »

Yes Martin - was considering going low plate non HRM for the OD section

jph118

Post by jph118 »

I like the idea of the filter after the reverb mixer, before the PI... I believe that’s where Mesa put the graphic eq in the Mark 2 amps, whereas the Mark 1 had it before the reverb send. The extra gain might’ve encouraged that move.
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

I like the bass and treble cut controls on V-1b if you use a 12AX7 That said I use a EF86 input pin 9 cut controls pin6 it's like night and day why a EF86 has a gain factor of 180
not 100 like a 12AX7 I only put 90 volts on the EF86. No inductor used. Check out the 1957 VOX AC-15