My JMSig w/ SSS Step Filters Build Thread

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Aaron

Re: My JMSig w/ SSS Step Filters Build Thread

Post by Aaron »

Great work! Even has the orange power lead.
Did you do the #004 or #002 filter circuit?

Thanks,
Aaron
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

yes, great work. I knew it would be good when you posted full CAD drawings :D

Orange mains cable..just like my lawnmower :D

Congrats.

M
rccolgan

Post by rccolgan »

Aaron wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:21 am Great work! Even has the orange power lead.
Did you do the #004 or #002 filter circuit?

Thanks,
Aaron
Thanks! I'm trying to get to know the amp a wee bit more, stock, before going with the step filters :oops: . Two less knobs as variables to dialing in tone. Once I get to know all the capabilities, I'm going to go with the step filters per the Dumble Files by Martin Manning. It seems like a modern fit to compliment the JM Sig.

For my other empty chassis, I'm going full-on #004 step filter and circuit. Just saving the $ at the moment for parts. Once that's done I'll swap the chassis around the cabinets so JM sig is in my black cabinet and 004 is in the 004 cabinet. I also have a donor rainbow zinc USA Accutronics reverb tank to swap internals. :D
norburybrook wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:59 am yes, great work. I knew it would be good when you posted full CAD drawings :D

Orange mains cable..just like my lawnmower :D

Congrats.

M
Thank you! Your lawn mower must have amazing tone! lol Obviously tone comes with the orange mains cable... Plus, it's quite practical in a dark club playing out (I have to assume). Less tripping over wires. I use my courtesy AC outlet a lot more than I thought I would too which is how I turn on the fan by plugging it in for now until I tap into the mains.

Silly question for everyone as I've come to learn my rear baffle on the 2x12 is 1.75" longer than I believe the original is. 18 x 9" vs 16.25 x 9". Would I be crazy to assume there would be any difference in tone with 2x G12-65? Knocking on the cabinet produces a real low rumble as it is and I'm a little lost calculating port size vs frequency.
Ryan
https://www.thetonegeek.com/
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Silly question for everyone as I've come to learn my rear baffle on the 2x12 is 1.75" longer than I believe the original is. 18 x 9" vs 16.25 x 9". Would I be crazy to assume there would be any difference in tone with 2x G12-65? Knocking on the cabinet produces a real low rumble as it is and I'm a little lost calculating port size vs frequency.

IMHO, the hole in the back of the cab isn't really a port, yes it will afect the frequency response slightly but not like a tuned port. I doubt a couple of inches either way will make any difference with a semi open back cabinet.

I'd stick apair of EVM12 in there then you'll really hear what a 100w amp and cab can really do :D

M
rccolgan

Post by rccolgan »

norburybrook wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:29 pm
I'd stick apair of EVM12 in there then you'll really hear what a 100w amp and cab can really do :D
Ha! There you go! Maybe I'll pick up a pair for a compare/contrast down the line. They aren't the cheapest so I would have to have a great reason to buy them at this point but I'm highly interested in rattling the hell out of the cabinet hehe. :twisted:

I appreciate your input about the rear baffle. Who knows. The slightly larger opening might be a better fit for G12-65s vs the JBL's it was originally designed for anyway. I'll stick with my instincts and get on to actually playing vs over-analyzing.
Ryan
rccolgan

Post by rccolgan »

A friend of mine, who has some great chops playing guitar, gave the amp a test spin. Some of the parts also included the Fender Dual Professional on the right to simulate John Mayer's amp setup from the past few years.

Full 40+ minute demo: https://youtu.be/4oSIAVsJ_lc

Basic noodling with the amp set to 4.7k GNFB to compare it against a Vertex Steel String (I know.. I know..) https://youtu.be/QGoh4QMaPm0
Ryan
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

rcolgan,

Did you ever wire in the filters on this build? And if so, how did you implement the filters? The SSS amps used a cathode follower mixer setup after the filters so curious to see how you implemented that here.

Great looking build!
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."