Wonderland with EL34's?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

joe6v6

Wonderland with EL34's?

Post by joe6v6 »

I have some decent doner Iron from a Seymor Duncan Convertiable amp that ran 4 EL34's. I was wanting to get opinions on how best to use it in a JM Wonderland amp with reverb. I have attached both the Wonderland schematic and the SD schematic. Would I be best off using EL34's? I dont see the primary impeadance of the ouput transformer listed, or would I be OK using this output trans with 6L6's? Also of intrest are the ultralinear taps which I have used with great sucess in other types of amps. Would using them in this amp help? hurt? or not make a difference. Any advise or input is appriciated. . Thanks : Joe (the duncan schematic is pretty clear if opened in paint)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Resistors not Transistors !
dbeasley

Re: Wonderland with EL34's?

Post by dbeasley »

OT is meant for EL34s, highly likely that it would be OK for 6L6s though not ideal Zpri.

As for UL on the JM sig amp - you could try it, however If so I would disconnect the global negative feedback. UL is a form of negative feedback so would probably make the amp sound more sterile if you left the other feedback loop in.

The beauty of the JM sig amp to me is that you can practically build it with anything....good parts, cheap parts, used pinball machine parts...and you'll get a good sounding amp. I've built a version of this amp with a pair of EL34s and it sounded great. I see no reason why you couldn't do it with a quad.

Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

EL34's sound great in this amp. I have built one with JJ el34s and liked it a lot. Just need to wire the power tubes for EL34s and your done! I would also stay away from the UL setup as mentioned above for this amp.

Cheers

Guy
mojotom

Post by mojotom »

Did you use 1k screen resistors on yours Guy or do you kept the 470R and just wire the sockets for EL34 ?

Just powered mine, I'm in the tweaking phase ;)
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Hi Tom. Glad to hear you've almost finished your JM build. I actually left the screen resistors at 470 . I found that I liked the tone more with the lower value screen resistors. They say its safer to run 1K with the el34s, if I was to play the amp more often I would probably up them to 1K.

Cheers

Guy
joe6v6

Post by joe6v6 »

Thanks for the info, Once I got to looking around Ive seen where several people have built this amp with EL34s & loved it! I dont have any old pinball machines laying around but I do have enough spare parts to put one of these together without one. , I think Ill stay away from the ultra linier & just stick with known circuitry. Im going to use the EL34,s because thats what the output trans was designed for. These transformers are massive, ill post pictures & im going to weigh them. looking forward to getting started.. Thanks : Joe
Resistors not Transistors !