2N5210 AF PREAMP/DRIVER NPN TO-92 50V TRANSISTOR

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

talbany

2N5210 AF PREAMP/DRIVER NPN TO-92 50V TRANSISTOR

Post by talbany »

I ran across a 2N5210 AF PREAMP/DRIVER TRANSISTOR (at Mojotone) to use on my FET board.Has anyone tried using one of these. Any thoughts about using it instead of the usual UHF/VHF amplifier Dumble uses.
Looks promising :D
Thanks

Here is the Spec sheet

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/149/2N5210-888419.pdf

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
martin manning

Re: 2N5210 AF PREAMP/DRIVER NPN TO-92 50V TRANSISTOR

Post by martin manning »

2N5210 is a BJT, not a J-FET like HAD used. You could certainly design an amplifier stage around that part, but it wold be a completely different circuit and it would not have the high input impedance of a FET. What's your goal here? Something easier to find and cheaper than the NTE parts? 2N4416A is what many people are using. They are current production and $6-$8 at Mouser. A MOSFET is another alternative, see http://www.muzique.com/schem/mosfet.htm. The BS170 used there is ~$0.50. It uses a 9V supply, which probably doesn't matter when the input is coming from a guitar (that could be changed, though... BS170 VDSS is 60V). PCB's and a tiny pre-assembled SMT version are available too. Other high impedance pedal boost circuits could be used, such as MXR Microamp. You can audition them in front of the normal input.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Martin
Thanks for the post!.I am not concerned about cost. However, I do think the FET circuit engaged in clean mode is a useable sound for me I am not a really a big fan of it when in OD mode!(especially using single coils) I am trying to find an alternative that sounds good in both modes and since the 2N5210 is designed for use as preamp might be better suited as a boost and thought I would ask if others had an opinion on this :D .I have used external pedals in the past with very good results (MXR micro/ RC boost/Boss CS1) all of which seem to work better IMO while in OD mode.This is the main reason why I have not gone with the FET in my amps in the past.I suppose I can put it on a relay and have it switched out when in OD mode and I may just have to go there :x
The Orman circuit looks promising.I may give that a shot.Thanks for the link.

BTW.I know there are others out there who like the sound of the FET in OD mode..Great! I don't

Thanks Again

Tony
UltraHookedOnPhonix

Post by UltraHookedOnPhonix »

Hey Tony!

Have a look at Mouser part#: 512-BF256B

N-channel JFET @ $0.40 ea.

From a quick glance, it looks like it could work as a replacement for the 2N4416A with some minor tweaking.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Thanks Jonas

I think I am going to breadboard up a couple different ones up and see if any stand out!
Will add this one on my list 8)

Thank You!
Tony
mojotom

Post by mojotom »

I thought about designing a preamp based on a LND150, high voltage mosfet.
On the paper that mosfet has some nice features.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

talbany wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 11:49 pmI think I am going to breadboard up a couple different ones up and see if any stand out!
Sure, find your "desert island" boost and use that. The good news is that you can probably find a PCB at GGG, Mad Bean, BYOC, Aion, etc. Modules from BYOC's Crown Jewel system offer lots of possibilities, including an Armstrong compressor :shock: : https://buildyourownclone.com/collections/crown-jewel Aion has an Echoplex EP3 preamp board, which DSBeasley reports is a good alternative to the D-FET: https://aionelectronics.com/project/are ... p3-preamp/