A guy talks about his recent contact with HAD

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mr. dB

Re: A guy talks about his recent contact with HAD

Post by Mr. dB »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:59 pm
Mark wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:55 am Hmm, I wonder why BB King didn't use such as amp? (Larry brought it up.) :wink:
You know that's the first thing I though when I listened to this clip, man Larry sure sounds a bit like B.B. King here :D It definitely started to morph after that quite a bit, but I love B.B. and wish I would have been able to see him live before he left us. An amazing talent. I had to google it, as I didn't know but I felt pretty sure (and was right) that he used a fender. Says on at least one site he used a Fender Deluxe. I have always loved the 335 tone but never had the money for one. I bought an epiphone 339 to get close :D

~Phil
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Oh gotcha, yup that's definitely one. I know it's not 'gospel' but equipboard shows a 1965 Super Reverb, a Lab Series L5, and a Fender 68 custom twin reverb

oddly, though I guess for his mostly clean stuff SS would work fine.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Mark

Post by Mark »

I suspect B.B. King used whatever the hire company could supply when he played live. I thought he used a Twin Reverb, but I don't have anything to back that opinion up.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
galtjunk

Post by galtjunk »

I rented a blackface twin to B.B. King several times when he played in my town.
Bear

Post by Bear »

B.B. liked the 85 watt Twin Reverbs, could cope with the 100 watters, and didn’t like the UL 135 watters. Those probably accounted for him finding the Lab Series amps.

I seriously doubt he used the 68 Custom Twins often if at all. It was a brand new model in the year he died. I’m guessing his rider would have tolerated nothing less than a blackface reissue, since it was a known quantity.
okgb

Post by okgb »

Which pod cast was the op referring to ?
I thought I read somewhere [ maybe on the internet ] that HAD was making guns ?
that's funny, if you buy one you can say you've been HAD
anyway , if the secrets die with him , then maybe they really were secrets!

And , if his circuits are not so special , then why are allot of people copying them and making products that look the same ?
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

okgb wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:08 pm Which pod cast was the op referring to ?
I thought I read somewhere [ maybe on the internet ] that HAD was making guns ?
that's funny, if you buy one you can say you've been HAD
anyway , if the secrets die with him , then maybe they really were secrets!

And , if his circuits are not so special , then why are allot of people copying them and making products that look the same ?
Part of what makes him so 'magic' is that he feeds into the hype, I think, by being so reclusive. He's not a magician, but it seems to me that he deeply understands the entire end to end of every component in an amplifier. He helped build and design them from when he was very young and is a master of the engineering required to do it right. There are surely others that can do it as well, but they're not as well known. His circuits are special because each one was custom tailored for a specific musician. He's like a bespoke tailor that makes a suit exactly for you. Others could do this surely, but how big is that market? Right now especially it seems to be a race to the bottom for the cheapest amp made the most commodity style possible so that they can sell them in the billions. It has become nearly impossible to make a living building custom amps unless you already are big enough and well known enough. There are not a lot of people willing to pay top dollar for an amp unless they already know it's by someone that's well known.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
okgb

Post by okgb »

but there's many willing to buy and support a custom market buying clones for three grand
the real tell is when these copy builders start to think they've created something and it's their work, or they've added something
special & unique that makes it truly different and worth buying over other amps
Mark

Post by Mark »

The thing with HAD is there isn't any info from him to quantify whether his designs are gifted or what he's into at the time.

Perhaps we ought to focus on great amps that are affordable and deserving of admiration. People use to feel this way about DR-Z amps etc. I'm not sure what they are like as I have never played one.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
drew

Post by drew »

okgb wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:08 pm Which pod cast was the op referring to ?
I assume this one:
http://www.guitarwank.com/podcast/2018/ ... njny-8zn9n

Looks like the next one may also have some Dumble content:
http://www.guitarwank.com/podcast/2018/ ... zn9n-8sbyn
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Mr. dB wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:21 pm
pompeiisneaks wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:59 pm
Mark wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:55 am Hmm, I wonder why BB King didn't use such as amp? (Larry brought it up.) :wink:
You know that's the first thing I though when I listened to this clip, man Larry sure sounds a bit like B.B. King here :D It definitely started to morph after that quite a bit, but I love B.B. and wish I would have been able to see him live before he left us. An amazing talent. I had to google it, as I didn't know but I felt pretty sure (and was right) that he used a fender. Says on at least one site he used a Fender Deluxe. I have always loved the 335 tone but never had the money for one. I bought an epiphone 339 to get close :D

~Phil
The Lab was his amp of choice but he often took a backline twin as well. The Lab is still one of my favourite amps but it needs the right speakers - the stock are rubbish. I own one from 1979 and prefer it clean. BB uses Volume and Master at maximum and hence a bit distorted.

BB is rocking a Lab here:
https://youtu.be/9VxYAAe6CdI

https://youtu.be/WFi3C_5U9_Y
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

FUCHSAUDIO wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:22 pm Actually, a dear old friend (who was one of my mentors) showed me a device he made that was apparently popular in NYC recording studio tech toolboxes. It used a recording head (usually something worn out or a cheap cassette tape player head), mounted on the end of a Bic ball point pen shell with coax on it. They used it as a 'sniffer" to read component radiation and hum fields with a scope or an audio signal tracer...you'd be amazed what you could "see".
Andy, I'm curious. I have a little transformer going spare... could that work as a sniffer hooked up to the scope?

Stephen
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
Mark

Post by Mark »

Stephen1966 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:56 am [quote=FUCHSAUDIO post_id=386360 time=<a href="tel:1528813">1528813</a>331 user_id=163]
Actually, a dear old friend (who was one of my mentors) showed me a device he made that was apparently popular in NYC recording studio tech toolboxes. It used a recording head (usually something worn out or a cheap cassette tape player head), mounted on the end of a Bic ball point pen shell with coax on it. They used it as a 'sniffer" to read component radiation and hum fields with a scope or an audio signal tracer...you'd be amazed what you could "see".

Andy, I'm curious. I have a little transformer going spare... could that work as a sniffer hooked up to the scope?

Stephen
I wonder if the radiated signals really affected anything?
And if anything was learnt from this process?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Mark: It matters when having crosstalk. Intended or not.
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

erwin_ve wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:24 am Mark: It matters when having crosstalk. Intended or not.
Indeed, I can see a sniffer being useful to identify emissions around components and then minimize the crosstalk by repositioning them.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu