Tan Music Man

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ToneMerc

Re: Tan Music Man

Post by ToneMerc »

talbany wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:26 am BTW.Did you have yours custom wound or was it a replacement?

Tony

Tony, the first one was a MusicMan replacement from Mojo, wound by Heyboer. I used this only because I was unsure of my specs, not being sure of what guys like Brandon and Shad was doing. I regretted using this transformer, it as ran very hot, had few extra terminations that I didn't need and voltage higher than I liked. All further builds I had Heyboer wind to my specs.

TM
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:05 amHere is Mercury Magnetics HD130.
Thanks CW! Another outfit that is not very forthcoming with basic information about stuff they sell... 265 VAC makes sense if it's unloaded, and consistent with Tony's info above.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

martin manning wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:15 am
talbany wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:17 amWhich of these models again you think run high unloaded?
I was questioning the 265VAC loaded Mike mentioned for a MM-type PT he had wound. It would make sense if it was meant to be the unloaded voltage. Did I misunderstand?
Martin, yes that was unloaded as when you install tubes and FET board, voltage will be pulled down 38-40 volts. On the HT I have gone as high as 1.2A but there's only so much wire you can get to physically fit in the Fender twin frame footprint, then you have start making compromises, no inside bell, no relay winding...etc.

The specs below should be right around 700 loaded, if you wanted to be in high 680's you could go as low as 255.

260-0 @1.1A
32-0 @150mA
6.3@ 150mA
6.3 @8A

TM
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

martin manning wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:01 pm
Charlie Wilson wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:05 amHere is Mercury Magnetics HD130.
Thanks CW! Another outfit that is not very forthcoming with basic information about stuff they sell... 265 VAC makes sense if it's unloaded, and consistent with Tony's info above.
Wow, I never knew what the Mercury specs were, would have saved me some effort 8 years ago.

The specs I remember for the stock one supposedly was 268@.900mA

TM
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

But even if you had that document, you don't know if it's loaded or unloaded, and there is no current rating given. Now, you could say that since there is no current specified it is zero, but come on! Mojo is as bad or worse. Hammond data sheets have loaded and unloaded voltages, and DCR.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

martin manning wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:22 pm But even if you had that document, you don't know if it's loaded or unloaded, and there is no current rating given. Now, you could say that since there is no current specified it is zero, but come on! Mojo is as bad or worse. Hammond data sheets have loaded and unloaded voltages, and DCR.
Well, that might be true in the context of that's the only info that one would had access to.

TM
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Looks good Tony, am I seeing things or is the mid and bass cap reversed from their usual locations. Also, I have been trying to figure out for awhile what make those bright blue coupling caps are. I think they are the same ones Dumble liked to use.
CW
talbany

Post by talbany »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:41 pm Looks good Tony, am I seeing things or is the mid and bass cap reversed from their usual locations. Also, I have been trying to figure out for awhile what make those bright blue coupling caps are. I think they are the same ones Dumble liked to use.
CW
CW
The Blue MF caps " I believe" to be the MMP style caps but are the Polyester equivalents..I have also seen those caps in some later 5th generation HRM amps and Bluesmasters mostly in stacks or used as GNFB spot.
Not sure why he would have switched positions there could possibly have to do with the size of the cap.
BTW. We used to use these caps in some of our earlier lunch box style amps because of there size..They are a decent sounding cap, however, carry no magic mojo dust in them IMO..

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"