Tan Music Man

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

talbany

Tan Music Man

Post by talbany »

I was going through some old drives the other day and ran across these shots. :D
It's Low Plate Classic w/Music Man Iron using EL-34's
Serial # is unknown but is in a tan cabinet. For those who have not yet built a Musicman powered amp yet, I highly recommend them. :D

Any Questions?

Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by talbany on Sun May 27, 2018 6:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
talbany

Re: Music Man

Post by talbany »

More Fun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stelligan

Re: Tan Music Man

Post by stelligan »

Cool shots! Henry built me a 50 watter in 2006 from an RD50. Still have it and LOVE it.
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1620
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Thanks Tony! What's up with the resistor between the mid and bright switch? Edit: It's a deep switch not a mid switch, the 270k is part of that deep switch network :P
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the pictures Tony.

You mention using Musicman iron for the D style amps, how does the build sound different with this transformer set.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
talbany

Post by talbany »

Mark wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:46 am Thanks for the pictures Tony.

You mention using Musicman iron for the D style amps, how does the build sound different with this transformer set.
Mark
Due to the higher plate voltages, the major difference in soundstage is a more forward and open sounding midrange. Harmonic structure is a bit different 700V plates 350V screens creates a unique clipping symmetry within the output section..The higher plate voltages shifted load lines and impedances which also effects frequency response so a combination of these 2 being the most prominent to me IMO..
These amps are fast responding but not stiff (since Dumble used 50uF on the plates). These amps are slightly cleaner but nowhere near as clean as the RD series MM amps that ran SS preamps. All these anomalies I mention now are not a drastic change but noticeable.IMO
In a way it's hard to put into words all the differences the MM output section offers.You just have to play one to get it. :D

BTW.I will say one of the most highly praised Dumbles out there is the "Ultrasound/Tan ODS" that everyone who has played it gives rave reviews. From what I've heard!
It is a blast to build and play them!

Tony
Last edited by talbany on Sun May 27, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
talbany

Post by talbany »

erwin_ve wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:50 am Thanks Tony! What's up with the resistor between the mid and bright switch? Edit: It's a deep switch not a mid switch, the 270k is part of that deep switch network :P
Erwin
Exactly.The only difference between this amp and my Low plate classic layout is in the PS oh and GNFB resistor :D
It would take me about 10 min to modify the low plate layout for MM
BTW.The other cool thing is Dumble used the extra 6.3V filament tap to run relays. :D

Tony
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I should have picked up a MM to use as the basis for a great bass guitar amp 700V plates and 350v screens perfect PT.

Mark
talbany

Post by talbany »

For those who want to hear a Music Man EL-34 in action here ya go!. Clip starts 2:37
This is the famed Tan Ultrasound EL-34 amp (#167) in both clean/ OD and boost!
Amp is a Low plate Skyliner. What do you think :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnOSCxxtXa8

Tony
Mark

Post by Mark »

The clip sounds good, though I didn't like the guy playing guitar, great hands but he didn't have fire in his belly.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Mark wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:54 am The clip sounds good, though I didn't like the guy playing guitar, great hands but he didn't have fire in his belly.
Chuck is a great player, it's tough to have 'fire in your belly' doing things like this. :D

M
Mark

Post by Mark »

He seemed like a nice guy, but I wanted to see a bit more aggression displayed with the Trainwreck amps. I guess I wanted to see what those EL-34's could do in the tan Dumble. :twisted:

As you say hardly an inspiring gig.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

My question is on the power transformer is it a type 1 130 watt MM. I serviced and rebuilt a 1975 MM 130 it had the type 2 power transformer
I did not see the extra filament winding's on the type 2. That said the type 2 MM 130 did nail the Johnny Winter sound.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Steve
Yes 200-130 type 1. These actually have an extra 6.3V winding in them although they do not label it on any of the MM repair schematics (that I have seen). Mine is dated 79

BTW.The 130 type 1 sounds nothing like Johnny Winter in a Dumble amp. :lol:
My band opened up for JW a ways back running a pair of 4x10 65's his settings were High power. Bass Off/Mid on 10.Treble on 10 vol on 10. YEAH!! :shock: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhfH8F5ToWk
He seemed like a nice guy, but I wanted to see a bit more aggression displayed with the Trainwreck amps. I guess I wanted to see what those EL-34's could do in the tan Dumble.

IMO generally when you see a good player like that demo-ing or trying out an amp and he lightens up like he does it's a good clue the amp is touch sensitive.I don't think these amps shine as much with a heavy hand but hey Mark to each is own right!

Tony
Mark

Post by Mark »

Tony, to my way of seeing things an Express clean sound isn't it forte, it's drive, harmonic content, ability to feedback and feedback into the harmonics is where it's strength lies. My limited experience tells me the Express clean tone sounds a lot better without the cold clipper stage and 0.0022uF cap to the clipper. I think the changes in the Komet were an attempt to get a bit more bredth from the amp. Of course it is all subjective as you say.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott