A few ?'s re- my Wonderland build

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

joe6v6

A few ?'s re- my Wonderland build

Post by joe6v6 »

I have finished my Wonderland build & have built it a very nice Maple head cab which awaits its final tweaking. The amp fired right up with no real issues, after swapping the OT primaries, it didnt squeal but rapid speaker oscillation occurred, swapping the OT primaries corrected it. The amp sounds fantastic! Very nice tone at all volumes & all the controls work as they should. Here are the questions / issues.
The mid & deep switches seem to have a minimal affect on tone & volume There is a slight volume & mid boost (very slight) but nothing like on the ODS builds ive done. Is this normal or does this sound like something is wrong? The bright switch works as it should.
The reverb sounds great and is very lush but does not seem to go far enough. As it is I can turn both knobs all the way up & it is very "useable" & not over the top. I have tried several tanks & all seem to give the same performance. I have a 5751 in v3. Will an 12AT7 add anything? AX7? Some other mod or area to look at?
Other than these relatively minor issues Im very pleased with how this has turned out, advice & comments are appreciated. . Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Resistors not Transistors !
norburybrook

Re: A few ?'s re- my Wonderland build

Post by norburybrook »

the mid and deep are quite subtle yes. I've never needed to turn the reverb controls past midway on my amp , I think I've got a 12 AT7 I'd have to check.

perhaps if you can be bothered look at my build thread, I imagine the valve choices will be near the end.

Marcus
joe6v6

Post by joe6v6 »

Using an AT7 helped a little but not much. I want to get a good bit more out of it before I call it done. Does anyone think changing the 100k send & return pots to 250k or beyond will increase the signal to the reverb tank? I changed the 220k grid resistor on v2 to 470k & again it may have been a little help, but im looking for a pretty good increase. . . Joe
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Joe,

the reverb circuit in this amp does kill a lot of general gain. Did you keep the 1M-68k voltage divider as per the layout? I changed that on my build as I felt it just killed the gain too much even on a 100w amp. I can't remember what I changed it to, check my build thread.

Also on an amp less than 100w I wouldn't bother with the master volume, it's really the global fx return volume so should be up full anyway.

Just thinking aloud here so hope any of that helps.

Marcus
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Does anyone think changing the 100k send & return pots to 250k or beyond will increase the signal to the reverb tank?
I do. A simple "test" would be to add a 100k to 470k range resistor from the reverb send pot to ground (from the ground side). A Fender dwell pot would typically be 1M there.

IF you have not already checked your voltages in the reverb section, I would do so in order to rule out any error in that regard.

With respect, 10thtx
joe6v6

Post by joe6v6 »

I added a 220k resistor on the send pot & it made a big difference in the right direction, Im thinking of changing that pot to 1 Meg. Should I do anything to the return pot? . . All the voltages are right in line with whats on the layout, I did try jumping the 10K dropping resistor to up the voltage but that did nothing other than raise all the voltages. . . Joe
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

My 50 watt JM Sig is the opposite. My send and return are on 1.5 with tons of reverb available. I could use less.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

telentubes wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:42 am My 50 watt JM Sig is the opposite. My send and return are on 1.5 with tons of reverb available. I could use less.
yep, I've never had mine past 5, I think there's something going on here that's not quite right.

M
Rockwell666

Post by Rockwell666 »

nice clean build man!!
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The deep switch is fairly subtle, but the mid should give a nice boost. Something doesn’t sound right there. Can you do a better pic of the switching area, hard to see cause the switches are underneath.

What reverb tank are you using? Doesn’t look like a 9AB3C1B style? Could be impedance issue?

Thanks,
Aaron
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Regarding the Deep switch I found it had more of an effect when playing at lower volumes.
Regarding your reverb try opening up your master volume more ( turning more to the right) if you haven't already.

Cheers

Guy