New build- Tweedle Dee-now with sound clips

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

New build- Tweedle Dee-now with sound clips

Post by norburybrook »

Well it had to happen.

Yes I 've started a new build. A tweedled Dee. That does perhaps mean I will have to build a 5th gen amp after this so I'll have the full spectrum.

anyway. few hours today and here I am. I've decided to go the head route as it gives more flexibity even if that's not 'true' to the original :D
IMG_20180831_164527.jpg
IMG_20180831_164535.jpg
IMG_20180831_192647.jpg

Marcus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by norburybrook on Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: New build- Tweedle Dee

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Outstanding, I think you'll really enjoy the amp! Let me know how it turns out.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Phil, thanks, no one's ever called my building outstanding so thank you [emoji1]

The eagle eyed amongst you will have seen that the amp is oriented hanging down. This is a mistake I want to have it bottom up like a Marshall so new face plates are being made.

I've also realised I'm going to finish my roll of kester solder!!! I think that means I've done my apprenticeship [emoji3]

M

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
talbany

Post by talbany »

I've also realised I'm going to finish my roll of kester solder!!! I think that means I've done my apprenticeship

Marcus
There is one more thing you need to do to make it official!. Accidentally walk away from the bench with the guitar cord wrapped around your foot yanking the amp you just finished smoke testing on to the floor bending the chassis and breaking all your power tubes while tripping the breaker in your shop. After you rebuild that amp.Welcome to the club.. :lol:

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

:lol: Tony. I had a good laugh over that visual.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

me too :D

I have slipped with my meter probes and shorted out pins on the power tubes of a 100w build when I was doing some final bias tweaking. I did get a nice flash of sparks , a puff of smoke as the 100R center tap resistors fried :D

Fortunately I've never had a large DC shock. I'e had a couple of mains 240v AC shocks which are painful as hell.

I'm hoping I can get this done with what little solder I have left. Having used good stuff now for a few years I never want to go back to the sh*t local harware stores sell!!

MC
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Colossal wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:42 am :lol: Tony. I had a good laugh over that visual.
Me too! I just coughed up my coffee.
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

I’ve pulled my Tweedle Dee build or it was the previous one, can’t remember, exactly as de/prescribed :)

1.20m later (that’s abou 4 feet) it was with one screwed 12ax7 cover, but everything else was intact.
It seems NASA had a reason or two choosing turret construction back then (yep - it was a turret board).

you're gonna love this amp. Kind of a one trick pony, but what a trick it is.

Niki
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

well, that's all the wiring done. Had a bit of a faceplate confusion so I'll be getting plates next week, so the pilot light is being held in with masking tape at the moment as that will have to come out.

IMG_20180901_144214-01.jpeg
IMG_20180901_143220.jpg

Just going make a coffee and then fire her up.

M
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

fired up, nothing. No voltage coming from the rectifier.

realised I'd wired up the rectifier one pin out all the way round. Until I'd put the valve in I couldn't easily tell which was pin one with these white sockets.

fired up again all voltages OK, nothing on V1.

I'd missed a jumper for the B+ to the V1 plates.

Added jumper fired up again.

Perfect! :D

sounds lovely through my 2x12 alnico cab. Going let it burn in a bit tomorrow, anyone tell me what the setting for the P.I. trim should be?

Valves are:
V1: ECC83/12AX7WA -BEIJING NOS (Beijing Valve Factory)
V2: ECC83/12AX7LPS-SOVTEK (Sovtek) GBP 1
V3,4: JJ 6V6
V5: JJ GZ34

Need to think about a cabinet now.

a build in a day :D well 2 half days.
IMG_20180901_180755-01.jpeg
IMG_20180901_180803-01.jpeg

new faceplates are coming next week.

Big thanks to MIke at Modulus amps for all the bit's a pieces he's a great resource for us guys this side of the pond :D

M
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

For the PI, you want to start by balancing it and then find tune from there. Much like the PI trimmer in an ODS. Very simple circuit compared to what you have been doing.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

martin manning wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:25 pm For the PI, you want to start by balancing it and then find tune from there. Much like the PI trimmer in an ODS. Very simple circuit compared to what you have been doing.
yes, building an amp n a day is quite refreshing :D

Cabinet work now,,,,,,urgh…...not my favourite part of the job as I've got limited tools and space. The weather has taken a turn for the better though so good timing :D

to be continued.

M
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Interesting, I've just stuck these in that I found in a box of spares: Russian military 6n3C-E from MIG fighter jets :D
IMG_20180903_130416.jpg
IMG_20180903_130354.jpg

very nice they are too, made the amp louder with a bit more clean head room. It's quite pokey, could easily gig with it with a drummer. I'm playing it through an EVM12 in a thiele cab. I'm probably as far away from the original tweed deluxe as it's possible to get now :D

thanks to Aaron for suggesting using the EV.

M
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Yes Marcus, Michael from Modulus is great, I often buy stuff from them

Very nice amp by the way!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Hi Marcus,

Excellent work! That looks really nice. How do you find the EV? Did you get a chance to play with the PI trimmer vs. Your Ear?