My Dumble hrm needs help . Please.

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

gmule12

My Dumble hrm needs help . Please.

Post by gmule12 »

Where to start. It's been a long journey with my amplifier. At start it was built with a 6 l 6, few months ago l change it to el34. My problem is that i feel there's no overdrive in this amplifier. All switches are solder and wired properly i check this 20 times. All voltages are correct. But amplifier doesn't feel like i have a lot of break up. Master volume i set on 12 a clock. Drive set at 12 as well and level at 12 as well. with those settings i prefer it's very loud and very little break up. is this should sound like this or there's something wrong with my amp. All of voltages are ok. Thank you an Happy Christmas.
larsvictor

Re: My Dumble hrm needs help . Please.

Post by larsvictor »

An Issue with the relay? Does it really switch? Is there a change in volume between clean channel and overdrive?

Lars
xtian

Post by xtian »

Here are a few ideas to consider:

Do you have a trimmer that leads into the OD section?

Do you have Rock/Jazz switch?

You can try lifting the HRM stack from ground--it may be sucking a lot of gain away from the OD.

On the clean channel, if you turn the Volume control to 10, and keep the Master volume down to reasonable listening level, you should be able to get a little crunch (distortion) with a hot input like humbuckers. Can you?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Can you please post a schematic of exactly what your amp is?

Can you post a photo of the chassis interior?

With respect, 10thtx
gmule12

Post by gmule12 »

Thank you for reply. My amplifier is from ceriatone and it is mk2 . My problem is that amplifier does not feel have a lot of gain it's more like a crunch but i need to push down very hard in the volume. I'm using 4 by 12 cab with celection g1275. Amplifier by itself does not have muche gain only with celator have a wee bit of gain. The best what i can do is to make a video and post and here. So stay tune and i will back to you today.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

My amplifier is from ceriatone and it is mk2
Do you have a schematic for that that matches your actual amp?

With respect, 10thtx
larsvictor

Post by larsvictor »

HRM50-MK2.jpg
Is this your Amp? Any modifications?

Lars
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Thank you for reply. My amplifier is from ceriatone and it is mk2 . My problem is that amplifier does not feel have a lot of gain it's more like a crunch but i need to push down very hard in the volume. I'm using 4 by 12 cab with celection g1275. Amplifier by itself does not have muche gain only with celator have a wee bit of gain. The best what i can do is to make a video and post and here. So stay tune and i will back to you today.
Welcome to the Ceriatone troubleshooting website. How may we help you today. :roll:
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18953
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I think this was asked before, but the OD channel has a trim pot (100k in that schematic) that you need to adjust for your taste of OD. If it's too low, it may be barely providing any input into the OD and therefore giving very little drive. You may want to dial that up until you get the drive you want. If you get none, then as has been mentioned, your switch may not be triggering so you're just staying on the non OD channel and have only what the clean channel can provide. Pictures of the amp will help us determine what may be going wrong.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

talbany wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:02 pm
Welcome to the Ceriatone troubleshooting website. How may we help you today. :roll:
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18953

thank you that was truly more than enough pressure to get cake straight through my blow hole
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
gmule12

Post by gmule12 »

Ok. First sorry for bad comment about ceriatone. I didn't mean to offend anyone and specially Nik. I changed everything to standard hrm now. I never have a chance to play at another ceriatone dumble hrm so it's very hard justified how this amp should sound . Maybe i was expecting too much from it. One of my problems with amp at the minute is that without celator does not have much used touched good sound by itself and it's very loud i need to keep my level pot on one and a half to not blow my head off and drive at the noon and master volume at noon as well. Only with celator i can achieve reasonable ton and distortion breakup at lower volume. Thanks and apologies.
rogb

Post by rogb »

gmule12 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:46 pm Ok. First sorry for bad comment about ceriatone. I didn't mean to offend anyone and specially Nik. I changed everything to standard hrm now. I never have a chance to play at another ceriatone dumble hrm so it's very hard justified how this amp should sound . Maybe i was expecting too much from it. One of my problems with amp at the minute is that without celator does not have much used touched good sound by itself and it's very loud i need to keep my level pot on one and a half to not blow my head off and drive at the noon and master volume at noon as well. Only with celator i can achieve reasonable ton and distortion breakup at lower volume. Thanks and apologies.
You won't offend Nik, just the people who put countless hours in coming up with these circuits (including HAD I guess) and then shared them for us to build. I found this out with my very first posts, as I had no idea that C-Tone got its circuits directly from here. :lol:
Lynxtrap

Post by Lynxtrap »

Not sure if I understand this correctly, but why do you have the master at noon if it's too loud? Turn the master down and turn up the preceding volume controls to get overdrive with less volume.

"Hey mister, turn it on, turn it up, turn me loose!"
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I never caught if the OD section was ever working.. was it? Is it?

If yiu switch and the sound either barely or doesn't change at all, something is very wrong with either switching or the OD section.

These amps pump out more gain than anyone would want.

As said above, turn down the master to like 1 or 2, set the first volume at about half, set both overdrive section controls around 4 on the dial. Play and switch OD on. What happens?
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
gmule12

Post by gmule12 »

ok, if I set Master to 1 or 2 and first Volume about half way which is a clean channel ok then amp is very very quiet. Then in to OD with no PAB jet, and OD control are at 4, there is a big jump of volume , but l couldn't call that overdrive, it's more like fender hot rod devill on clean channel with volume at 3 or 4 and with PAB gets just louder with tiny break up. Just come back from practice , man my ears are bleeding from nasty on pleasant OD.
Thanks for interest.