Dumbles/D-Types and 10s

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

B Vance

Dumbles/D-Types and 10s

Post by B Vance »

Hey,

I'm relatively new here, and I don't mean to stir the pot to soon with a new thread, but I've got a question and haven't been able to dig up too much info on the subject.

I know that the real Dumbles as well as the D-Types are generally matched up with 12 and very rarely 15 inch speakers. Is there a particular reason why they are generally limited to these sizes? Do 12's just respond better to the sonic tendencies of the amps?

I'm considering getting a D-Type amp to use in conjunction with my custom Fred Daab and 2x12 cab. If I go the D-Type route, I'd be interested in either a 3x10 or 4x10 speaker configuration. Can anyone tell me about experiences with a D or D-Type through 10's?

Thanks for you help and your time.
Brian
Funkalicousgroove

Re: Dumbles/D-Types and 10s

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

I had a guy show up at my shop one day with a Marshall Jtm60 4x10 cab, I thought it sounded pretty good, real tight and fast.

IMHO the 12's sound much better though.

Why are you stuck on 10's?
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
B Vance

Post by B Vance »

[quote="Funkalicousgroove"]I had a guy show up at my shop one day with a Marshall Jtm60 4x10 cab, I thought it sounded pretty good, real tight and fast.

IMHO the 12's sound much better though.

Why are you stuck on 10's?[/quote]

Funkalicousgroove,

Thanks for taking time to talk to me offline this week in our email traffic and for responding here.

I'm not stuck per-se...just really curious I suppose. It almost seemed like a foregone conclusion for D's and D-types..."You got a D-Type...what type of 12 are going to use?" It was almost like no one was looking into 10's as an option.

However, if the consensus is that most people here think that 12's do the amps more justice, I won't argue. After all, if I knew 1/2 as much as you guys do about these things, I'd know 10x what I do now.

As far as 12's...what would you guys suggest for R&B and light blues. I play for a female duo...think Lauryn Hill/Etta James vocals, Soulive groove with numerous lead breaks.

Thanks,
Brian
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

You know, If you really like 10's they are Super with the clean side of these amps, you could get a cabbone and switch between 10's and12's or even use a combination.

As Carlos santana says- these amps produce the Placido Domingo Belly tones- IMHO you lose some of that with 10's.

For 12's I like a combination of an emmince swamp thang and a tonker, or a pair of celestion G125's ( having a/b'd recently I tend to lean toward the emminence combination, your miles may vary).
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

I've made some with single 10s (Eminence Legend). You can do a club gig with it and it's not bad if the amp is on the floor but it's not as effective as a single 12. If you're talking lounge wouldn't you rather use a single speaker configuration for small size? These amps have a presence of sound that doesn't require a lot of air movement to sound full with hi-fidelity. An EVL or Altec12-17H or JBL G120 will probably give you the loudest cleans. The celestons work best in pairs. The eminence RWBlues works well as a single but it has a little less highs and more low mids (nice FAT blues solo tone) . Of course this is just one opinion.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com