http://media.putfile.com/fatHRM
mat
makrisp

Re: hard to play amp - cure ? Clip added

Post by makrisp »

mat wrote:Ok, here is quick and dirty clip how it sounds now:

Matt,

Sounds smooth, my question is how does it feel at the fret board?

What type of pickup, guitar and speaker did you employ?
PM
mat

Post by mat »

makrisp wrote:
mat wrote:Ok, here is quick and dirty clip how it sounds now:

Matt,

Sounds smooth, my question is how does it feel at the fret board?

What type of pickup, guitar and speaker did you employ?
It feels ten times better than earlier :D

Pickups are a pair of Duncan'59 on my Ibanez semi-hollow. Speaker was Celestion 12-65 Heritage.
mat
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

mat,
Sounds really nice to me! Glad you're getting closer to where you want to be with that amp. That amp and guitar seem to make a great pair...
kleinm

Post by kleinm »

Really sounding nice mat!
67:1
mat

Post by mat »

stelligan wrote:mat,
Sounds really nice to me! Glad you're getting closer to where you want to be with that amp. That amp and guitar seem to make a great pair...
Thanks stelligan, I like the Ibanez very much. I tried with my Les Paul style guitar but the semi hollow has nice woodines and more complex midrange in it. Very good match in deed 8)
Really sounding nice mat!
Thanks kleinm. It is the very first clip and first take (was rushing to work).

Any feedback welcome ! My skin is quite thick :roll: :lol:

To this day I have been seeking the most pure and singing overdrive but nowdays I have learnt to like a little 'meat' or dare I say 'fat' on the sound. If it is too clean, it feels kind of sterile.
Its nice to me have a classy click when the pick meets the string and nice singing on the upper register and gutsy growl on the middle strings and little bit fat on the lower strings. Kind of LC's tone.
mat
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

dogears wrote:What?? We all know of that pic.... Late 70s Dumble, pic posted by DOug Roccaforte. No secret there Jim...
groovtubin wrote:funny you mention that, in the pic of REAL thing, i SEE a trimmer pot down by the edge of board, no one so far has believed me, i SEE the knurled edge of the wiper adj, am i wrong funk? It makes perfect sense to DIAL in a amp! jp
no kidding... but i HAVE learned a thing or to @ HRM mojo? Your talk w/Bill at gear page, mmm,,,no secrets jim, none at all..:) and there`s water for sale in Hades too..
Sven

Post by Sven »

Greetings,

Mat, after listinening to your new sound clip, it appears to me that Robben Ford should consider having you build him a copy of your new HRM amplifier (actually, RF should ask that from the gentlemen who have ¨helped you along¨ to get it to be what it is now) .

Sven
mat

Post by mat »

Sven wrote:Greetings,

Mat, after listinening to your new sound clip, it appears to me that Robben Ford should consider having you build him a copy of your new HRM amplifier (actually, RF should ask that from the gentlemen who have ¨helped you along¨ to get it to be what it is now) .

Sven
Thanks Sven :D

Actually I'm not finished yet. The amp is still too hard playing and too trebly + mushy comparing it to my nonHRM. In fact I am thinking of building the entire preamp+HRM+dlator+PI section on a new board and swapping that in to see if the problem lays there.
actually, RF should ask that from the gentlemen who have ¨helped you along¨ to get it to be what it is now
Yes, I been getting lots of good advices from a couple of gentlemen 8) You know who You are :wink:
mat
Sven

Post by Sven »

Greetings,

My overall impression is that many people just cram too much into a too small a space. Is that really neccessary? I do not think so. That is why D'lite looks (and, obviously, performs) so well, because everything is laid out so nicely, so ¨comfortably¨. I am going to build my HRM into a nice 19¨ wide chassis and have it as high and deep as it takes to make a very tidy amp. Yes, your idea to build a nice, neat new board for pre-amp, HRM, loop and PI is very good. Actually, I also think that FX loop circuit should have its own power transformer and supply, definitely.

As for the sound of the clip, it is really very good ... actually I like a bit of ¨harshness¨ in there since it give the sound an edge ... but, on the other hand, you know best how that amp sounds in the room. Yes, your sloppy96 sound clip from your non-HRM amp is very good, but, on the other hand, HRM is supposed to sound different than that ... it seems.

All things considered, this is looking very good and some of us are following the progress with ¨great expectations¨.

BTW, could you post that link from that store in Finland? They had some interesting and nicely priced PT's there.

Sven
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

Sven wrote:Greetings,

My overall impression is that many people just cram too much into a too small a space. Is that really neccessary? I do not think so. That is why D'lite looks (and, obviously, performs) so well, because everything is laid out so nicely, so ¨comfortably¨. Sven
It is easier to service a roomy amp and I've heard all the talk on this and the TrainWreck pages on component spacing but honestly this amp:
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3068 sounds as good as the roomy ones and connected to the same speakers you cannot tell the difference in sound or noise floor. The basic Dclone circuit design (coupled with quality components) is a hard act to beat.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
mat

Post by mat »

My overall impression is that many people just cram too much into a too small a space. Is that really neccessary? I do not think so. That is why D'lite looks (and, obviously, performs) so well, because everything is laid out so nicely, so ¨comfortably¨. I am going to build my HRM into a nice 19¨ wide chassis and have it as high and deep as it takes to make a very tidy amp. Yes, your idea to build a nice, neat new board for pre-amp, HRM, loop and PI is very good. Actually, I also think that FX loop circuit should have its own power transformer and supply, definitely.
You are maybe right about putting too much stuff in a small enclosery. Although heisthl has built couple quite crowded but exellent sounding amps, so I hope I will get mine behave also. I think my build does not look too crowded. It has to be something else. As dogears suggested, further filtering of the d-lator helped the sound to be better.
As for the sound of the clip, it is really very good ... actually I like a bit of ¨harshness¨ in there since it give the sound an edge ... but, on the other hand, you know best how that amp sounds in the room.

After further tweaks the amp sounds worse than on that clip. But I would like it to be smoother.
All things considered, this is looking very good and some of us are following the progress with ¨great expectations¨.

gulp :oops: I will go slowly for now on. I'll make sure everything gets build as they should be. Tripple check everything. Maybe give time to my D-style pedal project also. I've built 3 pedal projects to try to calm myself being so frustrated with the HRM of mine :roll:
BTW, could you post that link from that store in Finland? They had some interesting and nicely priced PT's there.

Sure, it is at http://www.uraltone.com/kauppa/index.ph ... effb548a4c
mat
ampgeek

Post by ampgeek »

+1 on having adequate room to "move around" and modify/repair inside an amp chassis.

However, another +1 on still being able to get great tone even in cramped quarters.

And...A final +1 on the adequacy and flexibility of the D'Lite plan.

I stuffed my homegrown version, including relays and dual biasing, into a 14" X 10" X 2" chassis to allow it to fit into an old Bogen enclosure that I had lying around.

http://www.brownnote.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=382

I have since tweaked it a bit to include the Skyliner EQ and BluesMaster power section among others and have switched most of the orange drops to Xicon MPPs. Currently running it through a Avatar 1X12 partially open back cab with G1265. Although I am not convinced that it hits the highest benchmark for D tone, it does sound great!

Dave O.
novosibir

Post by novosibir »

An outstanding brillant thread is here going on :o

Larry
Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery