Low Plate 2nd Gen vs. Low Plate Classic

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jfs322

Low Plate 2nd Gen vs. Low Plate Classic

Post by jfs322 »

Hello All,

I want to start my first Dumble build, and I'm deciding between a Low Plate 2nd Gen. and a Low Plate Classic. Can anyone explain the main differences between the two: (1) In terms of the circuit; and (2) In terms of the tone/feel/response of the amps. Are they that different?

Thanks!
dbeasley

Re: Low Plate 2nd Gen vs. Low Plate Classic

Post by dbeasley »

"Classic" denotes what EQ circuit the amp has.

"2nd Gen" denotes what era of amp it is.

Dumble EQs generally fall into the "Pre-Classic/Classic/Skyliner" order chronologically with exceptions (HRM, Bluesmaster)

If IIRC, 2nd Gen falls into the "Pre-Classic" EQ category. The difference between this and the "Classic" is a few component values I believe. The sonic differences are probably not all that great - seems like Dumble was trying to make the EQs less interactive as the years went on (my opinion)

Short answer - not a lot of difference between a Classic and Pre-Classic.

2nd gens are all low plate amps (some could have been modded later to high plate Skyliner) typically with what's called the "70s Funky OD entrance"

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

mojotom

Post by mojotom »

jfs322 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:53 pm Hello All,

I want to start my first Dumble build, and I'm deciding between a Low Plate 2nd Gen. and a Low Plate Classic. Can anyone explain the main differences between the two: (1) In terms of the circuit; and (2) In terms of the tone/feel/response of the amps. Are they that different?

Thanks!
Yes they are quite different.
Different tonestack
Different OD circuit
Different Phase inverter
And more.

That’s a lot for those amps.

What kind of sound you’re looking for ?

On my amps the 2nd gen feels more 70’s, quite open and kind of Fender sounding.
Low gain OD. Sound better at volume for my taste. Great slide tone. Not as refined as the later ones but very nice too.

The low plate classic is more “classic” Dumble topology. The clean should be nice but the OD may need some work, and I prefer a 100W low plate.
But choosing this topology means you can change your mind later on a wire the amp as a Skyliner and/or low plate giving you a lot to choose from.

High plate skyliner are my fave, the clean will not be as good but the OD will feel nice from the start, the low plate that can but buzzy and may need work (well documented on the forum).
jfs322

Post by jfs322 »

Thanks all. To clarify. Essentially I'm narrowing down to SSS #002 vs #004, which in the "Dumble SSS History" thread on this site suggests that #002 is a Low Plate 2nd Gen. and #004 is a Low Plate Classic. Now, of course, I know there are a lot of differences between those two amps aside from just the tonestack -- i.e. #002 has a cathode follower, #004 has a ton of NFB that #002 doesn't, different Phase Inverter on each, etc.

I'd like to make not necessarily a clone of either, but a hybrid of the two. Since Hartmann's SSS is in that vein, I might just use his layout, circuit, and be done with it. But I'm curious about the tonestack on #002 vs. #004, leaving aside the many other significant differences between the two amps. Which would people prefer to use as a basis, #002 or #004? I believe Hartmann's uses #002?

Thanks!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

The SSS is a completely different animal to an ODS.

M

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jfs322

Post by jfs322 »

I'm aware. I don't think I ever said I'm building an ODS, to the extent that I did, I apologize for the confusion. 2nd Gen. and Classic are also SSS voicings too, no? At least, I'm going off of this thread:

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18597
mojotom

Post by mojotom »

I assumed you were thinking about the ODS ;)

In your case (clean only) I would favor the classic tonestack.
Didn’t build an SSS but a JM sig and tried 13 style tonestack and classic and prefer the classic on that amp, specifically 330p/100k/.1/.05/250k/250k/1k-1k8.

Easy to switch from one to the other.

Check the Wonderland too, more like 004, very nice amp quite easy to build.
Really like mine, tried various stuff on it (2nd gen tonestack, SSS power supply, etc) and kept
coming back to the original values.
jfs322

Post by jfs322 »

Perfect, thanks, I'll give that a try! Just re-read Hartman's SSS thread, and I stand corrected, it looks like he used a Classic tonestack with #002 cathode follower and PI.