Is a dumbleland a bass amp?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dr. who

Is a dumbleland a bass amp?

Post by dr. who »

I noticed an interview done with dumble where he says that SRV used Jackson Browne's bass amp on an album and then dumble made a bass amp with attention paid to the mids, and that was the SSS that SRV had. Are these bass amps? how would you mod for bass? could a HRM be made bassy?
Bob-I

Re: Is a dumbleland a bass amp?

Post by Bob-I »

dr. who wrote:I noticed an interview done with dumble where he says that SRV used Jackson Browne's bass amp on an album and then dumble made a bass amp with attention paid to the mids, and that was the SSS that SRV had. Are these bass amps? how would you mod for bass? could a HRM be made bassy?
The Winterland was a bass amp modeled after the Ampeg SVT. I know that Jackson Browne had one of these. The Six String Singer, SSS, was a one channel amp designed for clean only. Word is Dumble built one for SRV while he was on his final tour, SRV never saw it.
Pete

Post by Pete »

dr. who wrote:could a HRM be made bassy?
As I understand it, the HRM is a (Hot Rod) Marshall sounding modification of the overdrive (distortion) circuit in the Overdrive Special model. Probably not suited for bass unless you are going for that effect :?: :)
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

This is the amp SRV recorded with, SRV took delivery of 2 Steel string singers, played and used them both.

The word is that SRV liked that this 300w monster's clean at any volume so much that he had Dumble flown to Austin to mod his amps in the back room of Heart of Texas Music.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:This is the amp SRV recorded with, SRV took delivery of 2 Steel string singers, played and used them both.
So the article I read was bogus... that can't be... it was on the interweb so it MUST be true.

Thx for straightening that out. :D
The word is that SRV liked that this 300w monster's clean at any volume so much that he had Dumble flown to Austin to mod his amps in the back room of Heart of Texas Music.
Very cool.
Funkalicousgroove

Here is a pic of stevie with his SSS's and one of his rig later after he got the second one.

Now I do know that SRV sent one back for servicing, it took a year. When it was done Dumble gave him a bill for $4500 for "phone time" SRV said that was more than he paid for it new, and that Dumble could keep it and "Insert it". :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
adlibmusic

Post by adlibmusic »

Not that this adds to much to the discussion, but it's just a great photo of [according to the article from Best of Guitar Player, June?,1994] SRV's amp setup during the "In Step" recording session, including an SSS.
Loren
Hotrod Ford

Post by Hotrod Ford »

dr. who wrote:I noticed an interview done with dumble where he says that SRV used Jackson Browne's bass amp on an album and then dumble made a bass amp with attention paid to the mids, and that was the SSS that SRV had. Are these bass amps? how would you mod for bass? could a HRM be made bassy?

Indeed, SRV did use Jackson Brownes gold panel old Dumbleand Bass amp to record the Texas Flood alsbum ,

he really did not have his SSS by then !

he got his first SSS (the silver face one by end of -83)
I personally saw him use that amp in early -84 and he told me that it was his new ( and obviously first own Dumble amp) it was also a special version amp and not the same as a regular SSS and that this was the main amp,

The orange amp on the pics here was as far as I heard (and also seen live for that matter) occationally used by Tommy Shannon as a bass amp on some of the large stage gigs,

SRV mostly used the Silverface and the Blackface one amps that he had

hope that might help
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:Here is a pic of stevie with his SSS's and one of his rig later after he got the second one.

Now I do know that SRV sent one back for servicing, it took a year. When it was done Dumble gave him a bill for $4500 for "phone time" SRV said that was more than he paid for it new, and that Dumble could keep it and "Insert it". :D
Not that you or anyone gives a crap, but i was the first guy to build DIAZ amplifiers after Cesar passed away. Randy Shertz ( the MAN behind them now) is one heck of a dude. Him and Cesar were best friends, and he was with Cesasr when he passed away. If REALSOUND in Boston rings a bell, thats where Randy was hangin out. The main guy there was always saying that Dumbles sucked, jealous of course, but i`ll tell ya, a CD-100 w/boost on and CRANKED was AWESOME!!
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

so the winterland is the bass amp...any schematics?
Funkalicousgroove

Someone around here has gut pics, from what I understand the sound of it is very "Phil Lesh" and Hi-Fi.
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

anyone know where that would be?
JimiB

Post by JimiB »

yeah where?
:D