Anyone built an ALL-RN65-resistor amp?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mlp-mx6

Anyone built an ALL-RN65-resistor amp?

Post by mlp-mx6 »

Not counting power supply or screens, I'm talking about the preamp and PI.

I looked at a picture of a Mojave amp in a recent Guitar Player and it looked like they used RN65s everywhere I could see. (it WAS a small picture, though)

Just curious...
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...
Bob-I

Re: Anyone built an ALL-RN65-resistor amp?

Post by Bob-I »

I did, won't do it again. I find 1 W carbon comps warmer sounding for signal carrying resistors but the RN65's better for plate loads. I tried RN65's on the PI vs. Carbon comps and didn't hear a noticable difference (maybe dogears can though).
tonelab2

Post by tonelab2 »

Bob-I wrote:I did, won't do it again. I find 1 W carbon comps warmer sounding for signal carrying resistors but the RN65's better for plate loads. I tried RN65's on the PI vs. Carbon comps and didn't hear a noticable difference (maybe dogears can though).
I too built one with the RN65's on the PI and didn't really care for them in that section. Sounded sterile to my ears, very slight but noticable.
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

tonelab2 wrote:
Bob-I wrote:I did, won't do it again. I find 1 W carbon comps warmer sounding for signal carrying resistors but the RN65's better for plate loads. I tried RN65's on the PI vs. Carbon comps and didn't hear a noticable difference (maybe dogears can though).
I too built one with the RN65's on the PI and didn't really care for them in that section. Sounded sterile to my ears, very slight but noticable.
I'm wondering if the carbon trim pot has an effect on the PI plate load. It's possible that the little bit of carbon kills the brittleness. Did you use a trimmer on your build?
tonelab2

Post by tonelab2 »

No trimmers on any as yet. I'm thinking of installing one for current build to see if it helps to balance the PI. Trimmers in that section to tame brittleness might work, I've never really given it a thought. I know I don't care for to many MFs in a build as alot I've heard tend to be hard to listen to for very long ( can't really explain it, sort of like premature listening fatique). Could be a combination of speakers and tubes as well adding to it. Amp building can be simple at times but sh*t it can get complicated picking the right components and tweeking till your happy.
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

You can use the RN65's here and there, I use one in the OD entrance network on HRM's and like it, but I try to use as much carbon in the signal path as I can.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
Sven

Post by Sven »

Greetings,

Would CC 1W resistors be better than CF (also 1W) resistors? Is 1W enough to decrease the possibility of ¨thermal noise¨ with CC resistors in these amps, or would 2W be needed in certain ckts? I suppose 1W would be enough. Again, is there really any improvement from using CC resistors vs. CF?

Second, while on the subject of passive components: has someone used WIMA MKS4 polyester caps instead of the usual Orange drop PS series? It seems that WIMA MKS4 could be very good parts to use. Also, the price does not really matter in these quantities and intentions to make the best amps, but those WIMA caps are much cheaper than Orange drop PS. Is that due to a substantionally better quality of OD PS caps than WIMA MKS4, or is it something else? WIMA's are readily available in Europe, while OD PS are very hard to find.

All the best,

Sven
dobbhill

Post by dobbhill »

FKS series WIMA might be a closer match. Try some and let us know. I know HAD used WIMA's in his amps (PI), but I don't know what series.
drz400

Post by drz400 »

dobbhill wrote:FKS series WIMA might be a closer match. Try some and let us know. I know HAD used WIMA's in his amps (PI), but I don't know what series.
HAD uses many different caps I just saw a mod with Metalized polyesters everywhere. MKS4 sound excellent. I much prefer them over OD, Every once and a while it is nice to sneak a MKP in there. The drag is they are more of a PCB part