bluesmaster?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Pete

bluesmaster?

Post by Pete »

I have read a few comments here lately about a Bluesmaster mod (or amp). This is new to me.
Anyone have a definition? Is it a mod to a Fender head thing, or an actual amp model? .. or more of an alteration like HRM?
Any famous players using it? Just wondering. (didn't search the files for schem or anything yet, but I don't think there is any info)
chris_sanford

Re: bluesmaster?

Post by chris_sanford »

Pete wrote:I have read a few comments here lately about a Bluesmaster mod (or amp). This is new to me.
Anyone have a definition? Is it a mod to a Fender head thing, or an actual amp model? .. or more of an alteration like HRM?
Any famous players using it? Just wondering. (didn't search the files for schem or anything yet, but I don't think there is any info)
To summarize what was already stated in the 'HRM or not thread'... here's what I know about the Bluesmaster:

1) It is a variation of the HRM theme, but with a different clean tone stack, and a Marshall PI
2) It is not a mod per se, but an existing HRM amp could easily be modded to this spec
3) The only famous playing using one (that I know about) would be LC, although his amp apprears to have some deviations (no OD input trimmer, switched grid inputs to OD section)... and there could be other changes as well
4) There was a schematic posted briefly in the D-files section, but if was removed by the original poster.

Anyone else?

chris
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

There is a clip of Billy Yates playing one on Youtube, He said that it was "Just an amp" and nowhere near as magical as other D's he's had on his bench. There was also an orange suede one for sale at overland express a few years back, he wanted 24K for it, so I didn't buy it!
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
dogears

Post by dogears »

Yea, but the amp Billy was playing was built for that actor guy. Supposedly built more for rock. I wouldn't create any tone opinions about the bluesmaster based on that particular amp. Especially after hearing how great that PI section sounds (and that Carlton has it). To my ears, Ford has it too.
Funkalicousgroove wrote:There is a clip of Billy Yates playing one on Youtube, He said that it was "Just an amp" and nowhere near as magical as other D's he's had on his bench. There was also an orange suede one for sale at overland express a few years back, he wanted 24K for it, so I didn't buy it!
ayan

Post by ayan »

dogears wrote:Yea, but the amp Billy was playing was built for that actor guy. Supposedly built more for rock. I wouldn't create any tone opinions about the bluesmaster based on that particular amp. Especially after hearing how great that PI section sounds (and that Carlton has it). To my ears, Ford has it too.
Funkalicousgroove wrote:There is a clip of Billy Yates playing one on Youtube, He said that it was "Just an amp" and nowhere near as magical as other D's he's had on his bench. There was also an orange suede one for sale at overland express a few years back, he wanted 24K for it, so I didn't buy it!
I played Scott Whyte's amp for a whole set a few years ago. At the time, Dumble had tweaked it for Scott a few times and they were looking for a good EVM 12L for it. The amp sounded fine, but not "great," to the point that I wasn't even curious to know what was under the hood. For that matter, however, while I am curious to know what's in LC's amp it is because I am a fan and not because of the sound. Having seen LC live many times, I think his best tone was up through 91 or so. After that, either the sound was too muddy and buzzy in lead mode, or he basically wouldn't play the lead channel of the amp all together. Cleans are great, though.

Gil
chris_sanford

Post by chris_sanford »

ayan wrote:Having seen LC live many times, I think his best tone was up through 91 or so. After that, either the sound was too muddy and buzzy in lead mode, or he basically wouldn't play the lead channel of the amp all together. Cleans are great, though.
Gil
Gil,

Having just seen LC w/RF a few weeks ago, I have to say that Larry's amp sounded great.. perhaps better than Robben's, at least on that particular night. He was not getting that buzzy top-end at all... in fact, he had a fat-sounding lead tone that was sort of reminiscent of the old days. Of course, he clean sound was killer the whole way too, as you would expect.

IMO and fwiw...

chris
TimS

Post by TimS »

So what would the definitive examples of Bluesmaster tone be?
Funkalicousgroove

To my ears: Sonny Landreth- Grant Street

Could be wrong though, I know for a fact that his amp has trimmers from his interview in tonequest.
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

Please convince me otherwise - so far I have tried the alternate PI in 5 different amps and taken it back out in all but 1. I think it does improve the richness of the lead tone but at the expense of clean headroom and clean full range tone. I'm thinking that it is especially noticeable on the 50 watt or below combo type amps and if you had 100 watts and/or were supported by sound reinforcement it might be worth the trade offs. Any choir members here or am I singing alone?
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
Funkalicousgroove

I like it in a 100W HRM, Don't like it in an 80's style. That being said, my amps with it are loud enough clean to play ANYWHERE.
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:I like it in a 100W HRM, Don't like it in an 80's style. That being said, my amps with it are loud enough clean to play ANYWHERE.
So are you saying it does limit the clean headroom some and that's why you don't prefer it on your 50 watt HRM amps? What about clean tone differences?
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
dogears

Post by dogears »

I like both circuits with 6L6 tubes. But, if using a Marshall OT and EL34 tubes, the Bluesmaster is a no brainer. Although Dumble #224 sounded great with EL34 tubes and the standard PI.

I have the Bluesmaster in all of my amps, HRM or not. None are 100 watters. It works for me on the lower power amps too.
yeahyeah

Post by yeahyeah »

I'm building the BM PI into my 6L6 HRM, not sure what to expect. What does it do differently?

If I were to take a guess I would say that it lets less NFB into the PI but I don't really know what I'm talking about and I'm sure it's more complex than that.

I don't know much about PIs or power amps...once I leave the pre amp I'm in forign territory.
dogears

Post by dogears »

Did you lower the output grid couplers to .02 in the amps you had it in?? It doesn't sound right with .1uf

I have installed it in about 10 amps and every single person, bar none, really really loved it. No headroom issues and way more harmonics.
heisthl wrote:Please convince me otherwise - so far I have tried the alternate PI in 5 different amps and taken it back out in all but 1. I think it does improve the richness of the lead tone but at the expense of clean headroom and clean full range tone. I'm thinking that it is especially noticeable on the 50 watt or below combo type amps and if you had 100 watts and/or were supported by sound reinforcement it might be worth the trade offs. Any choir members here or am I singing alone?
kleinm

Post by kleinm »

I have the alternate PI and Presence section in my D'Lite with 6L6s and about 440v on the plates. After having the original PI, I stuck with the alternate. The overall tone just seemed more complex. Seems to really shine with PAB and/or OD. I think it sounds killer with the cleans, too. This is all IMHO, YMMV, etc.
67:1