Ceriatone offering a non HRM ODS...

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

blue_lu

Ceriatone offering a non HRM ODS...

Post by blue_lu »

...soon. thats what nick from ceriatone told me.

after i missed the brownnote d-lite kids, this message was quite exciting for me.
That said I would much rather buy a kit from someone with knowledge and quality parts like funk, but I don't think I would manage to gather the correct parts and layouts for his PCB board project - a complete kit would be the way to go for me...

since I have no experience with building amps i'll have a professional build it for me - so I have to keep the work (and therefore the price of the build) for him as low as possible. I'm wondering what you guys think of ceriatone? after searching and reading it seems that the parts aren't exactly top notch but the results (at least in the TW forum) seem to be more than decent. Thanks for your opinions.

Lu
skyboltone

Re: Ceriatone offering a non HRM ODS...

Post by skyboltone »

Well, let's think about this for a minute. You like Funk's act, you need a professional build........ I know! Call Funk and see what you can negotiate by way of a completed amp!

I don't know Nick, and I don't know Funk personally but right quick here I could name half a dozen builders on this forum with outstanding reputations who already have the parts in stock and can build you what you want at a reasonable price. Brandon would be right there at the top of the list. Brown note may have discontinued the kits but he will build the completed amp for you. The thing is, you want a builder who has built a number of these amps, who knows what to expect by way of tone and can knock one out without messing with the layout.

Just a thought
YMMV
Dan H
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

My amp is not a PCB amp, it is a CLONE of a late 80's early 90's amp, so part of it is PCB and part of it is eyelet board. I do sell complete amps, and I will make you a deal as a member of this forum.

The choice of parts is the same either way.

Here is a pic of one of mine completed, the PC boards, and a REAL ODS for comparison.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
candh

Post by candh »

Lu,

Nik is building one for me right now. I'm assuming it is one of his early attempts at an ODS as he is still "tweaking" it and there are no face plates or foot switch included. I have a number of interested customers here that are waiting patiently to hear the amp as well. I've built a lot of different amps but with a busy schedule and other amps on my bench it's a no brainer to have him assemble it for an extra $100 or so. Also, with respect to being in Japan, shipping from Malaysia is pretty reasonable and Nik supplies me with 100v tapped PT's on any of his amps.
I would love to get in on some of the projects like Funk's kit but with the yen the way it is and shipping costs and 100V PT's it's just a "bit much".

As for the quality of his amps.....well, that seems to come up every other day on most of the amp forums....I will just say that I have absolutely no complaints.

I built a D'Lite awhile back and am still very impressed with it. I know it's comparing green apples to red apples but I'm looking forward to seeing how Nik's amp stacks up.
dr. who

funk almost has it...

Post by dr. who »

If funk would just add GOO then he would have a dumble copy, but the layout without the GOO is not showing proper homage to HAD. I have heard that adding the GOO correctly is the hardest part of building an amp, and is the only way to get that true "dumble" sound.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Hey Doc, I look forward to the new line of tone enhancing products - "Who Goo". Perhaps in a variety of colors?
brownnote

Post by brownnote »

And the trombone says Waaaa Waaaa...you beat me to the punchline!
Remember kids...Always adjust for minimum smoke!

D'Lite Kits: http://store.bnamp.com/dlitekits.html
novosibir

Post by novosibir »

Another advantage of a violet goo in the amp is, that it's chasing away werewolves, what a red, blue or other coloured goo wouldn't achieve :wink:

However, the green goo is sounding best IMO 8)

Larry
Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery
LeeMo

Post by LeeMo »

In the words of the immoral John Lennon:
"Who goo'd the screws?" :lol:

LeeMo
I bought a pair of shoes from a drug dealer the other day. I dunno what he laced them with but I’ve been tripping all day,
TimS

Post by TimS »

Real goo is passe. Digitally modeled goo sounds just as good and you don't have to worry about replacing it when it goes bad.
novosibir

Post by novosibir »

TimS wrote:Real goo is passe. Digitally modeled goo sounds just as good and you don't have to worry about replacing it when it goes bad.
And how does it come along with the werewolves?

Larry
Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

will the real moo goo guy pan man please stand up
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

blue_lu wrote:...soon. thats what nick from ceriatone told me.

after i missed the brownnote d-lite kids, this message was quite exciting for me.
That said I would much rather buy a kit from someone with knowledge and quality parts like funk, but I don't think I would manage to gather the correct parts and layouts for his PCB board project - a complete kit would be the way to go for me...

since I have no experience with building amps i'll have a professional build it for me - so I have to keep the work (and therefore the price of the build) for him as low as possible. I'm wondering what you guys think of ceriatone? after searching and reading it seems that the parts aren't exactly top notch but the results (at least in the TW forum) seem to be more than decent. Thanks for your opinions.

Lu
listen to funks clips VERY impressive!
jim@Omegaamps.com
rfgordon

Post by rfgordon »

I want to get some scented goo, so when the amp's warmed up I get some aromatherapy.....
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Stay away from the brown goo... and the baby-diaper-yellow goo too.

Aromatherapy - that's what I get every morning when my one-year old wakes up.