Two rock crs v3 clone and v1 vs v3 differences

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

Re: Two rock crs v3 clone and v1 vs v3 differences

Post by norburybrook »

Rootz if your EVM is in a sealed ported cab then that does have it's own sound, and one I really like too :D

Combo's are open back so I find they never sound as good as a head and speaker to me generally and certainly compared to a closed,ported cab.

M
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

rootz wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:41 pm
Next step would be (yes, tweaking) to go to better transformers. I'd like to do a 40/20 version of this amp first. To do that I first need to get clear what I want to Savino, the owner of Inmadout in Italy. I need some clones if the 022814 and 022855 for an amp that can do 40/20 with a quad of 6V6's or 50 with a pair of 6L6's. Now that I'm at it, where can I find specs on the trannies? I can only find specs on replacements from Hammond and Classictone.

The PT should be something like 330-50-0-330 @ 240mA?

A big plus when ordering from Savino: I can add a 6/12 V winding to the transformer for relays and a hefty 5V winding for dual GZ34 rectifiers.
You could also talk to ArieJan from Marble amps in the Netherlands. I'm sure he can come up with the right specs. His transformers are in my latest build and really are top notch sounding imo.

Nice pics on the build btw!
rootz

Post by rootz »

norburybrook wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:36 am Rootz if your EVM is in a sealed ported cab then that does have it's own sound, and one I really like too :D

Combo's are open back so I find they never sound as good as a head and speaker to me generally and certainly compared to a closed,ported cab.

M
Not ported Marcus, but oversized with an oval open back. Opening is roughly as big as the cone area of the EVM12L. Cab sounds much bigger than it looks. I notice a very big difference in low end though when it comes down to placement of the cab. I guess that differences would also exist with a ported cab.

I doubted for a while to build a ported cab, based on the drawings/Thiele parameters of EV. Reports about them being beamy, more difficult to mike than an open back cab and the the fact that they are narrower than the head I build, stopped me from building one. Your best advice would be to just build one and listen for myself, right (really looking for an excuse to start a new project here, haha)?
alkuz1961

Post by alkuz1961 »

rootz wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:34 pm I doubted for a while to build a ported cab, based on the drawings/Thiele parameters of EV. Reports about them being beamy, more difficult to mike than an open back cab and the the fact that they are narrower than the head I build, stopped me from building one. Your best advice would be to just build one and listen for myself, right (really looking for an excuse to start a new project here, haha)?
Rootz, in this post, I showed drawings of a ported cabinet, based on TL806, but with altered proportions.
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 3&start=15
This cab has a width just like a typical ODS. I've built a few and they sound great.
3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rootz

Post by rootz »

Why didn't I think of that! Guess I went the obvious way with an oval back 1x12.

Your work looks impeccable. Now if I could sell some of my cabs down here in The Netherlands, I could start building some more. I have some ideas. The Dumble sized TL806, like yours. Would love to try that one. But how about a TL806 Dumble combo? A whopping 110mm clearance between the chassis and the top of the closed part of the combo. El34's and 6L6's should thus fit. I even have room for a reverb tank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

@Rootz,

just search for Larry Carlton ported cab I've built a couple, just a ported cab same size as the head, simple and sounds great, It's the one Larry Carlton used when he borrowed my Rig.
IMG_20181004_235639.jpg

M
rootz

Post by rootz »

Yeah, I remember seeing that thread. Nice work there Marcus. Super simple to build as it looks.

2X 4" diameter ports, 4.5" long should do the trick. What surprises me is that winisd calculates a 15L box with the parameters from the datasheet. 35L leads to a higher Q-factor of the box I think, giving it a bit of a bump around 100Hz, or better a slight dip around 150 Hz.

And now for some Sunday afternoon guitar torture, a new vid. Not miked up properly, but cam was not clipping or compressing either. Still I think the mids aren't fat enough on the neck. Doesn't really sing when low gain, but might need a lot more volume to achieve that.

norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

sounds great Rootz :D nothing wrong with that especially as it's low volume. I tried a test on my phone with my combo and it sounded awful because the phone couldn't handle the level I was playing at :D You need some level to get any amp to sing. YOu can try mismatching the impedance to get a bit more at a lower level. So if you've an 8 ohm speaker set your amp to 4 ohms , I noticed that's what Larry Carlton did when he used my rig. Also use the mid switch on the front of the amp, subtle but effective too, another tip from Larry :D

Congrats on a great build

M
rootz

Post by rootz »

Thanks Marcus! Gotta do some better recordings with some more volume soon. Well, soon, we'll see about that.

Something stuck me when listening to a recording of Bonamassa with Beth Hart, I'd rather go blind. A #124 comes reasonably close to his guitar sound there. The reverb in my amp, in contrast to the song, stays squeaky clean though. As if I'm not able to overdrive the reverb. So for overdriven reverb sounds: not this amp (a CRS v3 with #124 specs that is).

Good tips about the mis match and mid boost. Mis macht actually helped quite a bit. Mid boost sounds fine when turning the bass low. Otherwise too muddy IMHO. The amp is a different animal in a band setting by the way. When I turn it up, it starts singing with a lot less gain.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

rootz wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:05 pm Thanks Marcus! Gotta do some better recordings with some more volume soon. Well, soon, we'll see about that.

Something stuck me when listening to a recording of Bonamassa with Beth Hart, I'd rather go blind. A #124 comes reasonably close to his guitar sound there. The reverb in my amp, in contrast to the song, stays squeaky clean though. As if I'm not able to overdrive the reverb. So for overdriven reverb sounds: not this amp (a CRS v3 with #124 specs that is).

Good tips about the mis match and mid boost. Mis macht actually helped quite a bit. Mid boost sounds fine when turning the bass low. Otherwise too muddy IMHO. The amp is a different animal in a band setting by the way. When I turn it up, it starts singing with a lot less gain.
ah, your mid boost might be wired as a 'deep' switch. check that :D

yes, quite often dialling in tone by yourself actually is hard as unless you play solo that's not the sound that will serve you in a band situation. Quite often it needs to be brighter than comfortable to work in a band and also sound good 20 feet away in the audience if you're not playing on a large stage mic'd up. I often fall foul of that as I'm mainly a studio player. I'm still messing with my latest build , not sure yet if it's quite right yet......funny as it's the first and most complex ODS I've built that worked 100% from switch on but I've spent more time tweaking than building it now.......LOL

M
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

That sounds really good Rootz. I have to say, I like the Low Plate sound and overdrive. The reverb is nice but not overbearing.
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

Super great sounding amp and great playing too.
mirage_indigo

Post by mirage_indigo »

That sounds amazing!
We build because we must.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

That's an amazingly great sounding amp! Thanks for sharing the sound clip!

With respect, 10thtx
rootz

Post by rootz »

Much thanks for all the kind words here. It surprises me that when I hear this clip again after a while I find this amp sounds much better (and I mean by a big margin) with single child than my more recent preamp. More growl, rawer, bit brighter. Less snarl though and less smooth. Makes me wonder how a low plate HRM would sound. I'd guess more Marshall than a high plate.

Anyway, still need better transformers and better recordings. The journey is not over yet.