Can you US guys help me out with components ?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pedro

Can you US guys help me out with components ?

Post by pedro »

Hi Guys,

having got my amp up and running nicely with a new board, I just wondered if anyone would be willing to send across a "jiffy bag" of the handful of components which are really hard to source in the UK ?

Specifically the RN65s and coupling caps. I can import the RN65 through a wholesale distributor, but for a handful of components its hugely expensive to get them to the UK.

I'd probably need enough for my next 2 builds and would cover all costs.

My current build is in a donor chassis which came from a PA amp so its not cosmetically great ( It was always intended to be the test bed for the tweaking ). Now Ive got a great sounding circuit I want to build a couple more, but would like to use the RN65s and the best caps I can get.

For now Ive used mil spec MFs for the plates and cathodes and good quality CFs everywhere else in the amp but I'd like to get the right components in there.

Anyone willing to help me out ?

if so pm me and I'll get a list together so you can let me know how much it would all cost.
Best regards
Pete C
pedro

Re: Can you US guys help me out with components ?

Post by pedro »

bump ! no takers ?! :cry:

......this is the home of Marshall and Celestion calling the home of Fender and Gibson ??

I did say I'd cover all costs.....
Anyone ?

Rgds
Pete
Sven

Post by Sven »

Greetings,

It is not clear why would you need RN65 resistors, when they are merely precision metal film resistors that GOT TO BE available in the UK, no matter what particular brand you purchse. Draloric, Vishay, ... and many other companies have the same product available. They are 1% tolerance metal film resistors, that's all that is needed.

Also, one cannot get Orange drop PS series in Europe, as it seems, but who really cares, when WIMA and several other manufacturers make excellent caps. If you wish to spend a bit more money, Tube Amp doctor has axial old fashioned polyesther caps in all values needed for guitar amp, at 630V.

OK, everyone can INSIST on this or that particular brand, model, ¨sound¨ (I wander?), ... but overall, if one avoilds the resistors and caps that simply do not perform well in a ckt, one has a wide spectrum of excellent products in Europe, no doubt about it.

I wrote this not to interfere with your intention (which obviously did not succeed), but rather to encourage you to ¨surprize yourself¨ with some excellent parts readily available in your country, I am sure (certainly more than where I live now).

All the best,

Sven
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

pedro wrote:bump ! no takers ?! :cry:

......this is the home of Marshall and Celestion calling the home of Fender and Gibson ??

I did say I'd cover all costs.....
Anyone ?

Rgds
Pete
It's not that no one wants to - It's just that we're all lazy slackers!
Seriously, send me a list and I'll send you what you want.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
pedro

Post by pedro »

thanks heisthl,
your a scholar and a gent !

I'll pull my list together after work tomorrow and drop you a pm.

Thanks for helping me out - really good to read all your posts too - very helpful.

cheers
Pete