HRM, Skyline, bluesmaster for dummies

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Ed Bonatto

Re: HRM, Skyline, bluesmaster for dummies

Post by Ed Bonatto »

I didn't know that!
I guess now it makes more sense, and I supose one can reach a level in which one just don't have to cope with ordinary clients if that's what it takes to brew the good stuff anyway 8)

I just asked this the first time because I remember one very old guitar player magazine that I still have (dunno year, but probably 90's or early 2000s) featuring a "deaf jam" that they tested every 100watter they could get their hands on. Among marshall SLX, Boogie Tremoverb and Fender Tonemaster, the Dumble OD was reviewed too.

At the end of the article there was a very interesting note saying that the Dumble amps took a long time to be built (2 every one year, thus being very exclusive) as it was a thorough one man only op, but at that time, so the magazine states, Dumble was looking for a way of mass producing his stuff, maybe an investor, or a partnership with a large brand.
If anybody's interested I can go look up exact issue and year, but you guys probably read it too...

I guess that never went off. :(

Ed

Edit: at that time, price was US$5300 more or less
pedro

Post by pedro »

interesting,

but thank heavens that didnt happen ! - some bunch of accountants would have ruined the essence of the product through a programme of "Revenue Management"no doubt.

What I really admire about Dumble is his seemingly single-minded self belief and one-man expertise. I'm glad its stayed way it has. You could argue that the limited production has restricted access for so many players to a very unique sound - but I guess thats what Andy and some of the other guys are addressing - emulating and building their own unique voice/products now anyway.....using Dumble as an inspiration to firstly imitate then to innovate.

And at the end of the day "The price is what the market is wiling to pay......"

Rgds
Pete C
novosibir

Post by novosibir »

Ed Bonatto wrote:... featuring a "deaf jam" that they tested every 100watter they could get their hands on. Among marshall SLX, Boogie Tremoverb and Fender Tonemaster, the Dumble OD was reviewed too.
Oh yes, I can remember on this 8)

I think I have to dig in my siller - there anywhere it still must be.

Larry
Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery
Pete

Post by Pete »

That would be Guitar Player Magazine October 1994
Article is on page 99, pic of amp on page 109, text RE that amp is on page 151.
Ed Bonatto wrote:I just asked this the first time because I remember one very old guitar player magazine that I still have (dunno year, but probably 90's or early 2000s) featuring a "deaf jam" that they tested every 100watter they could get their hands on. Among marshall SLX, Boogie Tremoverb and Fender Tonemaster, the Dumble OD was reviewed too.

At the end of the article there was a very interesting note saying that the Dumble amps took a long time to be built (2 every one year, thus being very exclusive) as it was a thorough one man only op, but at that time, so the magazine states, Dumble was looking for a way of mass producing his stuff, maybe an investor, or a partnership with a large brand.
If anybody's interested I can go look up exact issue and year, but you guys probably read it too...
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

Which Amp(s) did they like best?
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
Ed Bonatto

Post by Ed Bonatto »

As far I as can recall they really praised the Tremoverb, the Wizard, Soldano, and specially the Matchless chieftain 100 (looked way cool too) and Dumble.

The Dumble was reviewed as having superb cleans and liquid high gain distortion, metal tones availiable (are they???) but few of the players didn't get confortable with the amp's feel.

ed
Pete

Post by Pete »

heisthl wrote:Which Amp(s) did they like best?
There wasn't really any kind of rating or anything so you have to read through the 11 or so pages of comments regarding thier subjective testing/playing experience. Comments were generally pretty positive overall and progress through each amp in order by price low to high (MIG 100 $429 to D $5,150.). There is also a chart of features like output tube type (ODS=EL34), # knobs, price, FX loop etc.
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

Ed Bonatto wrote:As far I as can recall they really praised the Tremoverb, the Wizard, Soldano, and specially the Matchless chieftain 100 (looked way cool too) and Dumble.

The Dumble was reviewed as having superb cleans and liquid high gain distortion, metal tones availiable (are they???) but few of the players didn't get confortable with the amp's feel.

ed
I just wonder how many amps are commercially available from that selection. Just from the names mentioned only two (Tremoverb and Soldano) are. Or is Wizard up again?

I am also afraid that a shootout like this is rather pointless due to the fact that the amps mentioned are vastly different from each other. A reasonable shootout for our discussion purposes could include (no particular sequence implied) a Two Rock custom reverb, a Fuchs ODS or TDS, a Bruno Super 100, a Glaswerks, a Bludotone, a Brownnote D-Light and a sample of a real thing, maybe also a Mad Professor. We probably need to further divide into HRM and non-HRM amps.

Just my 0.02.
novosibir

Post by novosibir »

Darkbluemurder wrote:A reasonable shootout for our discussion purposes could include (no particular sequence implied) a Two Rock custom reverb, a Fuchs ODS or TDS, a Bruno Super 100, a Glaswerks, a Bludotone, a Brownnote D-Light and a sample of a real thing, maybe also a Mad Professor. We probably need to further divide into HRM and non-HRM amps.
an amp from one of our newest board members :D

http://ampgarage.com/forum/profile.php? ... ile&u=3386

Larry
Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery
Pete

Post by Pete »

Not sure that any of the amps you mentioned for "a reasonable shootout" existed back then (I think most did not), and the overall premise of the article was stated as: "... something inspired us to open the floodgates and examine every 100-watt amp head we could sic our sweaty hands upon."

FYI some of the text RE. Dumble was: "Some of the testers felt that the amp's dynamic responce to picking nuances resulted in tones that lacked sweetness, but the Overdrive sure can deliver aggressive metal tones if you want 'em. Far from a plug-in-and-play amp, the Dumble requires a considerable amount of knob tweaking to get the best sounds. (alexander Dumble replies, "The experiences of encountering tones that lacked 'sweetness' are much opposite of that which is obtained by my clients--quite curious.")".
Darkbluemurder wrote:
Ed Bonatto wrote:As far I as can recall they really praised the Tremoverb, the Wizard, Soldano, and specially the Matchless chieftain 100 (looked way cool too) and Dumble.

ed
I just wonder how many amps are commercially available from that selection. Just from the names mentioned only two (Tremoverb and Soldano) are. Or is Wizard up again?

I am also afraid that a shootout like this is rather pointless due to the fact that the amps mentioned are vastly different from each other. A reasonable shootout for our discussion purposes could include (no particular sequence implied) a Two Rock custom reverb, a Fuchs ODS or TDS, a Bruno Super 100, a Glaswerks, a Bludotone, a Brownnote D-Light and a sample of a real thing, maybe also a Mad Professor. We probably need to further divide into HRM and non-HRM amps.

Just my 0.02.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Too right Alexander........!

sounds like someone in the room struggling to describe the unique qualities of the amp, and then everyone else piggybacking on their opinion, rather than being objective.

Pete C