A new 102

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Aaron

Re: A new 102

Post by Aaron »

norburybrook wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:52 pm interesting. I always thought it was the real thing but it was Jelle Welagen who first told me it was a fake. I don't know how he knew and he never elaborated.
M
Hi Marcus,

Well, guess who told him. There's a thread around here somewhere about it.
But from what I've found;
The serial number of the Doug Doppler amp is #097, which happens to be the same amp #097 Ex Carl Wilson.
The serial number is stamped "97", the amps I've seen have either "00##" or "0###" with zeros in front.
The pilot light is different.
The amp is stamped as a 50w model but is 100w.
And the overall font on the chassis doesn't look like the other chassis from that era.

Thanks,
Aaron
talbany

Post by talbany »

Aaron wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:56 pm
norburybrook wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:52 pm interesting. I always thought it was the real thing but it was Jelle Welagen who first told me it was a fake. I don't know how he knew and he never elaborated.
M
Hi Marcus,

Well, guess who told him. There's a thread around here somewhere about it.
But from what I've found;
The serial number of the Doug Doppler amp is #097, which happens to be the same amp #097 Ex Carl Wilson.
The serial number is stamped "97", the amps I've seen have either "00##" or "0###" with zeros in front.
The pilot light is different.
The amp is stamped as a 50w model but is 100w.
And the overall font on the chassis doesn't look like the other chassis from that era.

Thanks,
Aaron
I've seen 'typos' on real ones as well.
Here is that tread and what Jelle said.
I have seen and played that amp. It sounded very sweet, but I only played it at low volumes.

As to whether it is fake, not sure. Some things look very accurate, others look very much off, or I should say, non-typical.

I have seen another one like it that looked off from the outside. When I opened it, it was pretty obvious it was fake.

According to Gary it's not the real deal.So far it's rumor has it. Need shots :D
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... er#p347174
Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

All I will say about this is that there is a HUGE difference between saying an amp is fake or is a reproduction. I still can't buy that Henry Keiser being a friend of Dumble would own either. Done with that. Tony, if the 270k goes to the middle of the on off on switch, the deep switch will still function in either jazz or rock mode with the switch all the way up or all the way down. You just wont get deep when it is in the middle PAB(off) position. First photo is a Low Plate Classic, next two are High Plate Classics.
CW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:06 am All I will say about this is that there is a HUGE difference between saying an amp is fake or is a reproduction. I still can't buy that Henry Keiser being a friend of Dumble would own either. Done with that. Tony, if the 270k goes to the middle of the on off on switch, the deep switch will still function in either jazz or rock mode with the switch all the way up or all the way down. You just wont get deep when it is in the middle PAB(off) position. First photo is a Low Plate Classic, next two are High Plate Classics.
CW
Perfect! will update my pics. So on some amps Dumble didn't feel the need for the deep switch to work in Jazz mode (I can see that) on the layout of the low plate Classic has it on the bottom conn. I will make a note of that on the layout for those that want it on both :D

Thanks C.W

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:06 am All I will say about this is that there is a HUGE difference between saying an amp is fake or is a reproduction. I still can't buy that Henry Keiser being a friend of Dumble would own either. Done with that. Tony, if the 270k goes to the middle of the on off on switch, the deep switch will still function in either jazz or rock mode with the switch all the way up or all the way down. You just wont get deep when it is in the middle PAB(off) position. First photo is a Low Plate Classic, next two are High Plate Classics.
CW
Hi Charlie,

Also, look at the back of the amps, unless HAD reprinted a new Dumble logo above the serial number.

Thanks,
Aaron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

thanks Aaron , I'm not used to seeing the rear logos as much as the front. So are you saying that the logo/font at the rear of the green amp is one that has never been used before or after?

It does seem strange if you own the real thing and a re a friend you'd have clones.

I must say that clip with Henry Kaiser is quite something!! I'm at a loss for words :D

M
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Aaron wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:58 am
CW
Hi Charlie,

Also, look at the back of the amps, unless HAD reprinted a new Dumble logo above the serial number.

Thanks,
Aaron
Aaron, ODS #135 has the same logo, but it has 4 digts on the serial and the title "model" with a 100W description which matches the power tubes. I agree that it doesn’t match the chassis from the same era and that it is weird there is another #97 amp.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Hi Marcus,

The green amp is the Doug Doppler amp, and the black amp is the Carl Wilson amp sold at Overland Express. Both amps are #0097, or is that #97.
Notice the Dumble logo is different between the two, but they're supposed to be the same amp.
Green amp has: OD-50W
Black amp has: model: OD-50W

The overall font, especially on the Bright, Deep and Jazz/Rock don't look right.

Thanks,
Aaron
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Hi Raf,

Check my post above. You posted as I was typing. :D

Thanks,
Aaron
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Aaron wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:40 am Hi Marcus,

The green amp is the Doug Doppler amp, and the black amp is the Carl Wilson amp sold at Overland Express. Both amps are #0097, or is that #97.
Notice the Dumble logo is different between the two, but they're supposed to be the same amp.

The overall font, especially on the Bright, Deep and Jazz/Rock don't look right.

Thanks,
Aaron
Ah, makes sense now!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Aaron wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:40 am Hi Marcus,

Thanks,
Aaron

Ah yes, if they've both got the same serial number then somethings awry :D

thanks Aaron.

M
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

OK, I said I was done but I'm not. :D This is not meant to be argumentative with Aaron who's opinion I absolutely respect. Just another point of view.
The first thing to ask is, Do you believe what Doug said in the video that the amp was on loan from Henry Keiser? If you do, Henry either had the amp built by Dumble or could have verified it as being real by Dumble if he purchased it from another party. The 50w thing. I do not believe that if a customer of Dumble had a 50w amp and wanted it converted to 100w that Dumble would rescreen it. The pilot light. They can burn out. The one in that amp in the video is from Radio Shack. The graphics. Yeah, a little weird but so is Dumble and he does all of his own silk screening. The serial number. Yeah again not consistent with how he typically did it and apparently there is another #97. The Beach Boys amp was purchases by a friend of mine in the late seventies or early eighties. He was in a band touring with the Beach Boys(Honk-Five Summer Stories, a surfer thing :D ) and they sold it to him out of their backline. He told me that the amp did not sound good(he used stronger language) and the OD never worked. He took it to Dumbles #1 guy at the time(yes Dumble has had people working for him in the past) and he said he couldn't fix it. I find that strange. :shock: I really think Dumble just simply wanted the amp back. So for me, #97 is already a bit of an odd ball. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVnXdWgwAY4
CW
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Hi Charlie,

Not trying to be argumentative. Thanks for the insight. I stand corrected . It’s an oddball that’s for sure!
Seems strange that HAD would have sold this amp, or the other #0097 for that matter. The way he focuses on every detail choosing cable, capacitors, resistors etc. Must have been a Friday before a long weekend!
Wonder if the overdrive was ever fixed then?

Thanks,
Aaron
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Aaron, don't get me wrong. You may very well be correct about the amp and I think your concerns are reasonable. I just think it is still in the grey area a bit. If we could see inside the amp or have someone offer some definitive information about the amp and/or owner that might set the record straight but you know how it goes in Dumbleland. :D The guys that did that video seem like good guys and did a very informative series of videos on how a Dumble amp works. I think they went into it in good faith that they where showing the world a real Dumble and it wouldn't be cool to rain on their parade unless we know for sure. Having said that, if it is not a real Dumble, that should be known also. Maybe Carl let Charlie Manson borrow his Dumble and he broke the overdrive. Sorry Colossal for derailing the begeesus out of your thread.
CW
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:11 am Sorry Colossal for derailing the begeesus out of your thread.
CW
No worries, Charlie. Good discussion and some interesting history to be learned! Much appreciated. I often wondered about that green one myself, but don't know enough about the details to suss that out.

That said, and back to the topic, I am gearing up to build another 102 for myself.