A new 102

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Aaron

Re: A new 102

Post by Aaron »

Yes, sorry for the derailment. But it wouldn’t be TAG if it didn’t off topic for a bit :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks,
Aaron
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Aaron wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:46 am Yes, sorry for the derailment. But it wouldn’t be TAG if it didn’t off topic for a bit :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks,
Aaron
Of course! :lol:
martins3325

Post by martins3325 »

Colossal wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:37 am Finished a 102. Thanks to Taylor for the nice chassis and boards, and to Jelle for the Draloric resistor set. Classictone Twin transformers and a Mercury Showman choke. JJ 6L6s running at 480V. It's been burning in and is opening up nicely. Very bouncy and plump cleans.
Reviving this old thread. I saw this amp come up for sale on Reverb --before knew who built it-- and was immediately struck by the OCD level wiring and quality parts selection. It appeared a true labor of love! As someone who really appreciates that level of attention to detail I kinda had to have it ...plus being it was at a phenomenal price didn't hurt! I did some digging around and found this thread and ID'd the builder ...amazing work Colossal!! I just got it today, and unfortunately I currently live in a condo so can only use heavily attenuated...but so far it sounds really good! I have a bunch of Two Rock D-Style amps, and a Louis Cobra 183 as well, so it will be fun comparing/contrasting. I really need to get a head switcher or an identical cab and a good a/b box to apple to apples compare with my other amps... but so far it sounds really cool! Exemplary job Colossal!!! I'm not regretting buying it even for a second!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Wow, very cool! Glad to hear it has a new, happy home. They still sound good even with the master volume on 2 or 3. Thanks for the report.