A new 102

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: A new 102

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Colossal wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:04 pm Thanks Phil and Mark! Alcohol was my friend during cleanup; the cleaning kind, not the drinking kind.
Is that what I've been doing wrong all this time? :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Great looking build Colossal! I just finished up a 102 build recently, (its posted here in forum with Audio). It has become my favorite D style amp!

Did you go highplate skyline? I went low/high skyline after trying all the flavors .

Congrats!

Guy
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Guy77 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:47 pm Great looking build Colossal! I just finished up a 102 build recently, (its posted here in forum with Audio). It has become my favorite D style amp!

Did you go highplate skyline? I went low/high skyline after trying all the flavors .

Congrats!

Guy
Hi Guy, thanks a lot. Yes, high plate and Skyliner tone stack on the 102. What do you like about the low plate sound over the high plate? Do you just prefer the sound with your style of playing or is it something the high plate does that you don't particularly care for? I think about building a Wonderland/JM style reverb amp and that is the 100k/1k5 of course. I will go look up your amp.

Cheers,
Dave
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Hi Dave. I ended up keeping the clean channel lowplate (100k/1.5K) and the overdrive channel highplate. I kept all bypass caps at 5uf.

This way the clean channel reminded me more of the cleans I was getting from the JM/Wonderland amp and those are my favorite cleans. I sacrificed a bit of tightness on the overdrive by doing this but I felt it was a good trade off for me.

Great looking build!

Cheers
Guy
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Guy77 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:50 pm Hi Dave. I ended up keeping the clean channel lowplate (100k/1.5K) and the overdrive channel highplate. I kept all bypass caps at 5uf.
Interesting!
Guy77 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:50 pmThis way the clean channel reminded me more of the cleans I was getting from the JM/Wonderland amp and those are my favorite cleans. I sacrificed a bit of tightness on the overdrive by doing this but I felt it was a good trade off for me.
Ok, that makes sense. I really like the 102 in Clean mode, Volume on 6, TMB all on 5, Rock on and Mid and Bright off, and Presence on 7. It sounds killer right there. I don't think I even really need the overdrive :shock: I really think about building a JM/Wonderland. Everybody that builds one, raves about it.
Guy77 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:50 pmGreat looking build!
Thanks a lot!
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

Let us know if you decide to put a cap on the master and what value you like!
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

amplifiednation wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:41 am Let us know if you decide to put a cap on the master and what value you like!
So far, leaning towards no master cap and if I did, it would be a small value, I think. Maybe I will clip a couple of values in for fun.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Beautiful build!
What’s the extra resistors on the P.I?

Thanks,
Aaron
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Aaron wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:49 pm Beautiful build!
What’s the extra resistors on the P.I?

Thanks,
Aaron
Thanks Aaron! I have long looked at your remarkable builds as well. Good eye, I added a couple of 5k1 grid resistors to the PI, just because!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Quick update!

I've been playing the amp through a '69 slant 4x12 cab, 'detuned' with just a pair of 65W 16R Scumback M75-PVC, wired in parallel for 8R. Whoa, what a great sound! The M75-PVC is a more muscular version of the 20W Heritage Greenback and it really captures the sound quite well. With the 65W speaker though, the lows stay tighter and clearer and there is less blur in the midrange than with the low wattage speaker (at least at moderate volumes). It retains the warm and slightly rounded, piano-like attack with clear, sparkley, bell-like top end. Very woody. Volume is at 6, Rock mode, TMB all about 5 (or thereabouts), Presence on 7, and Master up to comfortably loud. No bright cap needed on the master. Les Paul sounds just amazing with the bubbly, bloopy Hendrixy pop attack and sustain. Plenty of low end on tap. Been using a Hall of Fame 2 reverb for the dry room.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I love 4x12 's Dave :D I just don't like moving them :D I was working at Mark Knopflers place and his tech asked me if I wanted to use the 4x12 EVM 12 L cab :D now that's a 4x12 :D I didn't use it by the way. Actually neither does MK anymore.

I've gone the other way, neo 1x12 ....... I Must be getting old............

keep on rockin'..

M
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

norburybrook wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:16 pm I love 4x12 's Dave :D I just don't like moving them :D I was working at Mark Knopflers place and his tech asked me if I wanted to use the 4x12 EVM 12 L cab :D now that's a 4x12 :D I didn't use it by the way. Actually neither does MK anymore.

I've gone the other way, neo 1x12 ....... I Must be getting old............

keep on rockin'..

M
Hi Marcus,

I am right there with you; I don't even want to own any 4x12s anymore because of the weight. But they do sound great with two speakers removed and it does make them a little more manageable. A little. Wow, that EV loaded 4x12....what a beast! My lower spine is protesting thinking about it. As for the neo speakers, a gentleman I built an 18W combo for wanted to trim a little weight and wanted a little different flavor than a G12H30 and so we tried a 16ohm 65W Jensen Neo. It sounded very, very good and a sound man commented that it was one of the best tones he had heard in the place, so that was cool. I'm wondering how that Celestion 300 would sound in a TL806 cab? I found it interesting that Celestion listed the Small parameters on the spec sheet. Usually you get a frequency plot and that's it! So it seems like they are saying the 300G is suitable for a Thiele cab.

Cheers,
Dave
xtian

Post by xtian »

Choices...choices...

IMG_3299.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

xtian wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:22 pm Choices...choices...
Both in a 2x12?
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Wow!
That is Colossal! :)