Overdrive reverb variants

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rootz

Overdrive reverb variants

Post by rootz »

Guys, mainly out of curiosity (and maybe for a future build) I'd like to discuss some ORDS derivatives. We all know about #13 and #60 and those are pretty well documented by now.

When working on my latest build, someone posted a gut shot of the Bloomfield Drive from Two Rock. I think this is an interesting amplifier for a couple of reasons. To me it looks like a typical low plate classic, but the reverb is different. Reverb drive is two stages, ala for example the Wonderland (just one triode is transformer loaded, 3k9 in the cathode). What surprised me is that the reverb driver is fed from the output of the clean gain pot, also like the wonderland. So that would be the usual case for a pre OD reverb like in #13, right? One more clue that it's a #13 in disguise: V1 is the clean preamp, V2 is the reverb driver, V3 is the mixing stages and V4 is the OD stage.

Anybody who knows if the reverb is actually pre OD like #13 and Two Rock skimped on the mixing stage?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colossal

Re: Overdrive reverb variants

Post by Colossal »

Rootz,

I am definitely interested in this. The Bloomfield Drive sounds very good. I really like #102 but want to build at least a JM for cleans if not a full ODS reverb variant.
rootz

Post by rootz »

Take a look at this schematic. Essentially it's a Wonderland with added OD stage. To keep the tube count the same, I took the reverb entrance from the output of the relay and can thus ditch the triode in front of the reverb tank driver of the Wonderland. I kept one triode from a 12AT7 to drive the tank, the other triode is used as reverb recovery. The signals involved should be about equal to the Wonderland.

What I can't really account for is the difference in high end when comparing this design to the Wonderland. The first triode of the reverb circuit, the 12AX7 coming of the gain pot, loads the signal down a bit due to Miller capacitance I think. That effect is not present in the design below. No idea how it would sound. Pretty good I'd think, need to try it out soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

InterestingThread. Just out of curiosity regarding the schmatic. I noticed that on the reverb driver tube the 10K grid stopper is insdte the LNFB. Any reason for that? I am asking beause I always had the suspicion SSS number 4 was wired the same
rootz

Post by rootz »

I couldn't notice much difference when simulating the position of the 10k resistor. The Wonderland hasn't got that feedback loop, the 004 does. However, I see both ways being done in the 004. Ceriatone, Two Rock (Sterling), Hartman place the 10k before the loop, but in the Dumbleland and 002 schematics and layouts I have the 10k is in the loop. FWIW, I could use one lug on the tag strip less when placing the 10k in the loop, you'd need two lugs the other way.

Maybe someone else will give more insights on this matter, it's an interesting question!
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

rootz wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:34 pm I couldn't notice much difference when simulating the position of the 10k resistor. The Wonderland hasn't got that feedback loop, the 004 does. However, I see both ways being done in the 004. Ceriatone, Two Rock (Sterling), Hartman place the 10k before the loop, but in the Dumbleland and 002 schematics and layouts I have the 10k is in the loop. FWIW, I could use one lug on the tag strip less when placing the 10k in the loop, you'd need two lugs the other way.

Maybe someone else will give more insights on this matter, it's an interesting question!
Very interesting indeed. The Ceriatone actually does something weird, although the 10K is out of the loop they place the resistor on the plate and the capacitor after the 10K, which is the opposite of what one would expect.

As in Dumbleland, do you mean the Silver Alligator Amp (which technically is a SSS due to the style of PI)? Or is it another model?
rootz

Post by rootz »

This is the possible Dumbleland schematic I mean.
lovetone

Post by lovetone »

Just wondering if anyone has been inside a bloomfield Drive?

Any schematic info
professormudd

Post by professormudd »

I am not sure if this is helpful/useful to you, but the Brown Note Blue Monkey 44 I just finished has reverb. It's a bluesmaster/HRM.
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
lovetone

Post by lovetone »

Thanks for the layout.

I'll take a look, I played a Bloomfield a few weeks ago and really liked the amp.
samrock55

Post by samrock55 »

lovetone wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:58 am Thanks for the layout.

I'll take a look, I played a Bloomfield a few weeks ago and really liked the amp.
What kind of reverb tank and where does the 390pf cap connect to? The layout is abit unclear about where the tie points are?
samrock55

Post by samrock55 »

lovetone wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:58 pm Just wondering if anyone has been inside a bloomfield Drive?

Any schematic info
That inductor looks interesting? Wonder how many henries that is? Resonance smoothing circuit?
samrock55

Post by samrock55 »

professormudd wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:05 pm I am not sure if this is helpful/useful to you, but the Brown Note Blue Monkey 44 I just finished has reverb. It's a bluesmaster/HRM.
What reverb pan and transformer did you use??
professormudd

Post by professormudd »

samrock55 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:48 am
professormudd wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:05 pm I am not sure if this is helpful/useful to you, but the Brown Note Blue Monkey 44 I just finished has reverb. It's a bluesmaster/HRM.
What reverb pan and transformer did you use??
ClassicTone 40-18034 with a Belton 9AB2C1B tank
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
samrock55

Post by samrock55 »

Thank you