My take on Eric Johnson's Steel String Singer #005

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jazzbass

Re: My take on Eric Johnson's Steel String Singer #005

Post by jazzbass »

beasleybodyshop wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:39 am Put together a demo of this amp With a few guitars. Rock City! So pleased with how it sounds. Great sustain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qchuuosfnVM
I would say that the "birth" went very well, congratulations for the excellent work, the sound heard with headphones is beautiful, very beautiful.

Franco
franco mezzalira
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Great clean jangle . Good body and warmth . Decent balance

The Overdrive from these amps with post pi cathode drivers are really present . The unadulterated midrange is all there . They can seriously sting .

Tailoring the tone via component materials and brands becomes even more apparent to my ears . Those small nuanced differences stand out when you hear all the frequencies hit the output . Put in the wrong part and suddenly my ears are ringing whole playing low volume lol

+1 on too much nfb causing hum and oscillations during different parts of the volume sweep.

Cheers to your success
Charlie
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

Thanks Charlie. I wish i had done more clips after i corrected the NFB. The amp is just so much better now. Maybe here soon
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
beasleybodyshop

Also, for anyone playing along - you might try removing the cathode bypass caps on the reverb return and mixer stage before the filters. Gives you a bit more headroom and helps with reducing the low end in a good way
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
rootz

Post by rootz »

What a great sounding amp and what a terrific team effort this whole thread has been. My take on the 005 is a bit different than yours. Nevertheless the 005 is among the best clean amps I know. I’m not that big of a fan of the overdriven sounds the amp has to offer, but it takes drive pedals extremely well.

Here’s some rather quiet playing. Maxon 808, strat, amp and et65 in an oversized 1x12. This amp just makes harmonics jump out like no other amp does.

dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Nice clip! Quality chops!!
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

rootz wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:36 am What a great sounding amp and what a terrific team effort this whole thread has been. My take on the 005 is a bit different than yours. Nevertheless the 005 is among the best clean amps I know. I’m not that big of a fan of the overdriven sounds the amp has to offer, but it takes drive pedals extremely well.

Here’s some rather quiet playing. Maxon 808, strat, amp and et65 in an oversized 1x12. This amp just makes harmonics jump out like no other amp does.

Sounds really nice Bas! That pedal is a perfect match and you nailed the SRV sound.
Excited to build another one for myself. I will build it similar to yours and @beasley this time to hear the differences.

Congrats!

Cheers
Guy
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

rootz wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:36 am What a great sounding amp and what a terrific team effort this whole thread has been. My take on the 005 is a bit different than yours. Nevertheless the 005 is among the best clean amps I know. I’m not that big of a fan of the overdriven sounds the amp has to offer, but it takes drive pedals extremely well.

Alive and musical at low volume , that’s a real good thing right there
Charlie
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Sounds great! Good job!
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Grande Rootz.....

Franco
franco mezzalira
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Hey rootz, what filter caps are you running in that bad boy?
Charlie
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

This looks like it was a really awesome project, beasleybodyshop!
As a huge Eric Johnson fan, I really dig the tones you got out of it.
Where did you end up getting the chassis and faceplates made?
- Matt J.
rootz

Post by rootz »

WhopperPlate wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:43 am

Hey rootz, what filter caps are you running in that bad boy?
I completely missed this question, sorry bro.

2x220uF series on the anodes, 2x47uF for the -VDC supply, all the other axials 22uF. Can cap 2x32uF.
rootz

Post by rootz »

This one went out to a customer last week. This menace is a 100 Watter. Absolutely incredible amp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
beasleybodyshop

Looks great! I'm finishing up the headcab for mine as we speak.