My take on Eric Johnson's Steel String Singer #005

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

donvan

Re: My take on Eric Johnson's Steel String Singer #005

Post by donvan »

In the photo 2 posts up there are yellow, blue, and green coiled wires. What is going on there?
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Looks like somebody has been inside a High Plains Drifter.
CW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

In my head coiling the wire like that is to add some length and add some capacitance? No? like Jimi Hendrix' love for the super long coiled cables?

Or am I smoking some crack? :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Maybe a little inductance. It isn't shielded wire so I don't think there is much capacitance. I think Brandon did it because it looks cool. :D
CW
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

Considering Brandon allegedly serviced SSS#005 and was one of the first, if not the first to offer a SSS #005 variant it stands to good reason his layout is pretty close to the real deal.

To be fair, the amps I saw all have the exact same layout - so safe to say they are cloning each other or the source material is fairly correct.

I can't speak to the coily wires. Probably some fun thing Brandon did, maybe saw it that way in the Dumble amp as well? My gut tells me the clones are striving for physical accuracy above all else. The relay supply and all that could have been done way simpler now. Same for the post PI driver.

Someone mentioned voltages - I do have a few voltage charts. I need to reconcile them and I'll post it here.
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Nice work! Time to start building :D

Aaron
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I would have sworn that was one of Taylor(amplified Nations ) amps :D

same board materials, same chassis,same heater wiring/colours/cable :D

is he from the Bludotone school of building? :D

M
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Beasley - On the layout, both of the inputs for V1 are designated for pin 7. Pin 2 needs some love.

I also realize you are using 6V6s for output, but does your layout get that treatment as well? I'm referring to the power tube input grid resistor value.

The power string in the layout... the dropping resistor right after the choke resistor has no value on the label.

Also, no values given to the pots.

I know some of this is obvious by looking at the schematic but the the obsessive compulsive part of me wants to correct the drawing.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
beasleybodyshop

Dorrisant,

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll take your punchlist and post corrections.

Amp should be using 6L6s. I'll double check the layout/schem

Pot values are not listed on layout as to keep it clean. I was trying to prevent from making it too cluttered. I always use the schematic as a primary source and then use the layout as a reference.

Dropping resistors don't have values yet because I'm not sure what values they will be. Typically i'll use several sub boxes and tweak them during final build and then install fixed values.
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

beasleybodyshop wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:56 pm Dorrisant,

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll take your punchlist and post corrections.

Amp should be using 6L6s. I'll double check the layout/schem

Pot values are not listed on layout as to keep it clean. I was trying to prevent from making it too cluttered. I always use the schematic as a primary source and then use the layout as a reference.

Dropping resistors don't have values yet because I'm not sure what values they will be. Typically i'll use several sub boxes and tweak them during final build and then install fixed values.
No worries, I figured as much and do the same with my stuff.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

I know nothing of this particular circuit, but I would expect the coiled wire to be a simple “shielding” technique.

I’ve done this on amps before... the coil being wrapped around the wire or even a resistor, then grounded on one end and unconnected on the other.
beasleybodyshop

brewdude wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:31 pm I know nothing of this particular circuit, but I would expect the coiled wire to be a simple “shielding” technique.

I’ve done this on amps before... the coil being wrapped around the wire or even a resistor, then grounded on one end and unconnected on the other.
It's definitely not shielding anything here. It's the ground connection for the cathodes, or for the connection to the wet signal input for the reverb.
beasleybodyshop

norburybrook wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:46 pm Oh dear......

I thought I'd kicked this building lark.....

Is it different enough from a JM wonderland to warrant building?

I suppose I could mod my JM into this and find out :D

M
I don't recall offhand what the JM Sig amp is...I know it's some kind of Skyliner low plate setup with the 3 tube reverb? It's been ages since I built one....before Taylor shared his nicely done layout 8) I would imagine this amp sounds quite a bit different, due to having a higher NFB resistor. Also having filter stage in there loads the signal down more I imagine.
rdodson

Post by rdodson »

When I heard the original in person at Lightning Music (a music store in Addison TX, it was a clinic of sorts with a mini concert) way back before Tones came out it was:
1. Loud as all get out
2. Super tight in the bass, before that had become a “thing”
3. Without pedals, sounded like a combination of a Twin and a JTM45 had a mutant baby. I had never (at that point in time) been around a JTM45/100, but I have a feeling that is exactly what EJ was going for. It was NOT the ultra clean machine of the other serial numbers.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

dorrisant wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:50 pm On the layout, both of the inputs for V1 are designated for pin 7. Pin 2 needs some love.
I was mistaken about that point.