Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

WhopperPlate

Re: My take on Eric Johnson's Steel String Singer #005

Post by WhopperPlate »

rootz wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:12 pm
WhopperPlate wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:43 am
rootz wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:36 am What a great sounding amp and what a terrific team effort this whole thread has been. My take on the 005 is a bit different than yours. Nevertheless the 005 is among the best clean amps I know. I’m not that big of a fan of the overdriven sounds the amp has to offer, but it takes drive pedals extremely well.

Here’s some rather quiet playing. Maxon 808, strat, amp and et65 in an oversized 1x12. This amp just makes harmonics jump out like no other amp does.

Hey rootz, what filter caps are you running in that bad boy?
I completely missed this question, sorry bro.

2x220uF series on the anodes, 2x47uF for the -VDC supply, all the other axials 22uF. Can cap 2x32uF.
Thank you ! Brands?
Charlie
rootz

Post by rootz »

beasleybodyshop wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:02 am Looks great! I'm finishing up the headcab for mine as we speak.
Definitely something we wanna see!
rootz

Post by rootz »

WhopperPlate wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:45 pm
rootz wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:12 pm
WhopperPlate wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:43 am

Hey rootz, what filter caps are you running in that bad boy?
I completely missed this question, sorry bro.

2x220uF series on the anodes, 2x47uF for the -VDC supply, all the other axials 22uF. Can cap 2x32uF.
Thank you ! Brands?
I believe this one has TAD's in it. JJ can cap IIRC. The 100 Watter has F&T throughout. Difficult to compare, never had the amps side by side, and one is 4x6L6, the other 4x6V6...
rootz

Post by rootz »

Some more pictures of the amp from the previous clip, now residing with its new owner. Oh and I guess you can tell I like black Vox cloth and brown suede. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

I love all that suede and the Diamond grills. Great job Bas. Congrats!
The look reminds me of the movie American Hustle with all the carpet they had in that movie and that era!
I am just working on a yellow/gold suede 2x12 with matching Signature JM head. Will keep me warm in the winter.

Cheers
Guy
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Those look amazing.
Just plug it in, man.
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

rootz wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:01 am Some more pictures of the amp from the previous clip, now residing with its new owner. Oh and I guess you can tell I like black Vox cloth and brown suede. :D
Stunning!
Ian
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

Finished :D supremely happy with how it all turned out. Definitely worth building.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Man, I bet that sounds just as good as it looks!!!

Did you make that chassis yourself or source it from somewhere?
Matt J.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Beautiful built, great projects. How do you guys find the noise floor on the reverb? I find that I general, having build this circuit twice, if you address the grounding (no hum) the reverb is still a bit hissy. Anyone else noticed the same?
beasleybodyshop

Fwiw I subbed in a 12AU7 for the verb return stages and it still has plenty of verb with much less noise
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

beasleybodyshop wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:49 pm Fwiw I subbed in a 12AU7 for the verb return stages and it still has plenty of verb with much less noise
That is a good call! Will give that a try. It's a shared tube with the dry path, did you go 12DW7 with the reverb return using the 12AU7 side or did you leave both with the lower gain tube.

After going through the entire circuit multiple times I realised that the return recovery was the culprit and the hiss seemed related to tube gain, my solution was reducing the gain at that stage by removing the cathode cap and increasing the resistor value. But that changes the loading on the plate, which is shared with the dry path, therefore changing the dry signal tone a bit too.

The other thing I don't get is why the literature here (from previous people who had access to the amp) points to a 5751 reverb driver which is way way too much verb. Even with the 12AT7 I find a lot of reverb still
beasleybodyshop

As built the verb is just too much. I meant to clarify here and say I actually subbed the 12AU7 for the gain stage before the 12AT7 paralleled driver, brought the noise floor in the verb circuit down considerably.

And this probably goes without saying, but man the variance between verb tanks is significant. I bought 4 tanks and shot them out and subbed in the best sounding one.

I also built a Klienulator to connect to the passive loop jacks...man with rack verb and delay it's just killer. It's my favorite amp for pedal steel with an EVM12 right now.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Great looking build "beasleybodyshop" congrats.
I also had issues with the reverb being too intense on my #005 build.
I ended up changing the pot sizes to much smaller values.

Cheers
G
beasleybodyshop

Matt J wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:37 am Man, I bet that sounds just as good as it looks!!!

Did you make that chassis yourself or source it from somewhere?
Matt J.
I have a guy that fabs the chassis blank out of aluminum and I machine out the holes I need.