My take on Eric Johnson's Steel String Singer #005

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

Re: My take on Eric Johnson's Steel String Singer #005

Post by Bombacaototal »

martin manning wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:29 pm It can be, but some brands may not make that connection. I’d just do a multimeter check to find out.
Thanks Martin, Guy and Steve.

I am planning on using a set of old GEs I had, a pair from 1969 and a pair from 1984. How can I measure this tubes with a meter? Red on PIN 1 and black to PIN 8? Set to resistance?

I have my amp wired up as a 6L6 using PIN1 on the other side of the grid stopper (like Guy). The amp is still not finished but I am seriously considering reworking this to free up PIN1. It's probably the safest approach for the future, right?

The Alligator used GE 6550 but pics are not clear enough to see how he wired the grids
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Yes, that’s it. Resistance measurement, or the continuity test will work too. The GE 6550A data sheet says “pin 1 - no connection or base shell,” which is a bit confusing.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Bombacaototal wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:45 am I am planning on using a set of old GEs I had, a pair from 1969 and a pair from 1984. How can I measure this tubes with a meter? Red on PIN 1 and black to PIN 8? Set to resistance?
Put one probe on pin 1 and the other probe on the metal tube base. If meter reads zero ohms then pin 1 is connected to the shell. But to be safe, don't use pin 1 as a tie point. Connect it to ground.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Thanks for the input. I will check later today with the meter and feedback here.

Indeed super confusing Martin. I asked the guys I bought the tube from TubeWorld and they mentioned pin1 is connected to base...I guess I'd better test, but probably will rework the circuit to be on the safe side do that my amp can fit any 6550
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

That's a good plan. I think the wording in the GE data sheet means pin one can either be ignored (n.c.) or used as a connection to the base shell. The only metal base tubes I have here are EH KT88, and their base shells are connected to pin 1.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

So I just measured, one lead at the metal base and one at Pin1.and I do get a reading of 0.2ohms. they are therefore probably connected
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

I swear, someday i will have this amp done lol.
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
rootz

Post by rootz »

Guy! I really like what you did with the preamp tubes all in line. Reminds me what Two Rock did with 004. Their version is 5 in a row, the original in essence is laid out like 002.

Can you share your layout here? Id like to translate that to a PCB. That way you could build a Wonderland, 004 and 005 in the same chassis. Now, wouldnt that be neat?

Btw, i like how you made 005 your own thing, with classic stack and all.

I read somewhere that Brandon stated that the high filter in his HPD is very gradual and subtle. This leads me to believe you and I were right by limiting the filter to small gradual steps.

On that connection of 6550 grid resistors. Do it as Taylor does, not via pin 1. Every 6550 will nog work in your amp, as does any EL34 for that matter (experiment!). You lose nothing, but gain options. A no brainer I think.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

rootz wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:34 am Guy! I really like what you did with the preamp tubes all in line. Reminds me what Two Rock did with 004. Their version is 5 in a row, the original in essence is laid out like 002.

Can you share your layout here? Id like to translate that to a PCB. That way you could build a Wonderland, 004 and 005 in the same chassis. Now, wouldnt that be neat?

I read somewhere that Brandon stated that the high filter in his HPD is very gradual and subtle. This leads me to believe you and I were right by limiting the filter to small gradual steps.

On that connection of 6550 grid resistors. Do it as Taylor does, not via pin 1. Every 6550 will nog work in your amp, as does any EL34 for that matter (experiment!). You lose nothing, but gain options. A no brainer I think.

Hi Bas. A PCB would be nice to have.
Good point about changing the Pin 1 connection, thanks.
I will get you the layout later today.

Cheers
Guy
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

rootz wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:34 am Guy! I really like what you did with the preamp tubes all in line. Reminds me what Two Rock did with 004. Their version is 5 in a row, the original in essence is laid out like 002.

Hi Bas. I found an inside pic I took of the SSS#5 I built. I labeled where certain parts go to. Where it says Reverb Send 2 it means the center wiper on that pot. CF is the Cathode Follower tube (5th preamp tube). This was a prototype build so there was a lot of soldering and re soldering lol.
Let me know what else you need.

Special thanks to beasleybodyshop since I used his first post layout to create this one board design.

Thanks!
Guy

SSS5Layout.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rootz

Post by rootz »

Thanks Guy! This should be enough for me to make a layout.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

rootz wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:30 pm Thanks Guy! This should be enough for me to make a layout.

That's great!
Just so you know. My preamp board is 8.5 x 3in and my power supply board is 7.75 x 3in.
I use stand up transformers on these builds.

Cheers
Guy
rootz

Post by rootz »

There you go, a non standard layout for 5 preamp tubes in a row. The HPD has a very different layout, which is allegedly a clone of the real deal. Nevertheless this should work just fine. Please note I do use the values I posted earlier. These values come from the HPD and Steel String Sultans.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

rootz wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:28 am There you go, a non standard layout for 5 preamp tubes in a row. The HPD has a very different layout, which is allegedly a clone of the real deal. Nevertheless this should work just fine. Please note I do use the values I posted earlier. These values come from the HPD and Steel String Sultans.
Bas, can you post a pic or diagram of the HPD? Even a link to elsewhere would be great. Just curious, so no sweat.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
rootz

Post by rootz »

Short answer: unfortunately I can’t. But… the Steel string sultan and singer from Amplified Nation are based on that amp. At least, I was told so. You can find more than enough pictures of those amps. At least I did.

Taylor does not share as much gut shots of his amps these days. I can understand that. It’s pretty easy to put together a circuit based on pictures and IMHO are fairly accurate. Yes, I couldn’t see the values on the high filter, but with a bit of experimenting it is also easy to find out what works, and what not.