Looking for 102 w reverb layout?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

samrock55

Looking for 102 w reverb layout?

Post by samrock55 »

Hope someone has one? I am looking for a Robben Ford with a reverb layout? 50 or 100watt Thanks
10thTx

Re: Looking for 102 w reverb layout?

Post by 10thTx »

This may not be exactly what you're looking for but may be helpful on your quest

With respect, 10thtx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rootz

Post by rootz »

This also could form the basis of your amp. Not exactly traditional Dumble layout, though the lead dress closely resembles it. Based on a Two Rock CRS v3. Room for numerous tweaks like other output tubes or the configuration of the mixer triodes to name a few. Could be anything from 70ies style to HRM with some reworking of the layout if needed. #124, #102 and #183 all work with this layout.

The schematic is one of the revisions of this amp I used. It sounded great to my ears, though I made a number of small tweaks in reverb send pot and preceding cap value and the global master vol. All can be seen in a thread I started about this amp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rootz on Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rootz

Post by rootz »

Some more recent work evolved around the SSS #005 reverb. This looks more like a Dumble with a Fender reverb, but with some valuable adjustments. In the schematic the top one is an amp I'm probably going to build and has a big part of the $005 reverb section. It is also a bit like a tweaked Two Rock CRS v1. The curve you see is the predicted frequency response compared to an amp without reverb. You lose some high end, around 1 dB at 10 kHz.

The layout now incorporates the trigger pot on the main board like in a genuine Dumble. I'm still working on a more accurate Dumble layout on this one, this layout again resembles TR.
Todd Hepler

Post by Todd Hepler »

rootz -

After recently reworking someones old visio file for my own 124 build, I appreciate the time it took to create such a neat and tidy layout. Kudos to you!

Thanks,
Todd
rootz

Post by rootz »

Yet another one of the ideas I got about adding reverb. This is a bit of a cross between a Wonderland reverb and ODRS #60 mixer/recovery stage. Based on #102 preamp and OD values.

One small error in the layout: there shouldn't be a ground connection on the presence pot.
samrock55

Post by samrock55 »

10thTx wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:23 pm This may not be exactly what you're looking for but may be helpful on your quest

With respect, 10thtx
This first layout did you ever hear it? How hard to make a switchable overdrive for it? Thanks?
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Didn't hear it. It has overdrive in it already. Look at the other layouts and schematics to see how to make it switchable.

10thtx
samrock55

Post by samrock55 »

rootz wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:11 pm Yet another one of the ideas I got about adding reverb. This is a bit of a cross between a Wonderland reverb and ODRS #60 mixer/recovery stage. Based on #102 preamp and OD values.

One small error in the layout: there shouldn't be a ground connection on the presence pot.
I wished I could see all the under board connections abit better? Love this layout!
rootz

Post by rootz »

Don't know if the connections are better visible in this one? Different amp I build last year and it absolutely smokes! Peavey deuce iron, preamp based on ODS #94. The layout contains some deviations from #94, but I build my amp without the 470p over 220k, with HF filter at OD exit, with 500k trigger pot (or was it 1meg?).

No, it is not a clone of a Dumble amp. And I'm pretty sure it won't exactly sound like #94, but it has a damn fine voice. Smooth, expressive, addictive OD, especially with a Les Paul. At least IMHO.

And it should be rather simple to adjust to #102 values in the preamp.

But... If you wan't a Dumble clone with reverb, I'd choose the route of #102 clone (and source period correct parts), add a Dumbleator and put a nice reverb (or delay) in the loop.
samtech60

Post by samtech60 »

10thTx wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:23 pm This may not be exactly what you're looking for but may be helpful on your quest

With respect, 10thtx
The first D Clone layout the first one is there a power supply layout or schematic available or what
Power supply do you recommend?
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

rootz wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:56 pm Some more recent work evolved around the SSS #005 reverb. This looks more like a Dumble with a Fender reverb, but with some valuable adjustments. In the schematic the top one is an amp I'm probably going to build and has a big part of the $005 reverb section. It is also a bit like a tweaked Two Rock CRS v1. The curve you see is the predicted frequency response compared to an amp without reverb. You lose some high end, around 1 dB at 10 kHz.

The layout now incorporates the trigger pot on the main board like in a genuine Dumble. I'm still working on a more accurate Dumble layout on this one, this layout again resembles TR.
Hi rootz, I'm looking at replacing the three tube #060 style reverb in my Skyliner and the '124 - 005 compared - 2020-04-13 at 21.57.27' design caught my eye. Long story, I played around with the FX loop and came to the conclusion I need an active loop, tube driven of course. I played around with some miniature designs of a tube driven FX loop but my PT is rated for 6A on the heater supply and with the extra tube. I would be pushing it over the limit. A kind of "Houston, we have (had) a problem" scenario :lol:

Here's a photo of the guts. The current reverb board is between the preamp and PI boards:

1658344620134.jpg

I have made a sketch of the layout, which isn't finished, but I figured that with the size of the reverb circuit, I could fit that on the same size board and a Dumbleator circuit as well. And because I would be moving from a 3 tube reverb to a 2 tube reverb, I can use the spare socket for a Dumbleator without any extra burden on the heater supply of the PT. [Note: RefDes labels are duplicated because I worked on the reverb and Dumbleator circuits separately.]

Here's the sketch of the layout:

Reverb board 21-07-2022.jpg

And here's the schematic I've drawn up from your simulation:

TWO TUBE REVERB 124-005.jpg

I really only have one question to start, which is about the 1R grid stopper on V2a; R10 in my schematic/R243 in your sim. I think I remember reading somewhere this was a leftover from another design. Does this mean we don't need it there? I am inclined to remove it since if its sole purpose is to prevent blocking distortion I can't see a resistor of this size having any real effectiveness.

Stephen
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
rootz

Post by rootz »

Hi Stephen,

You're coming from a reverb much like #60, don't you? I haven't build that one yet, but I guess that it would much sound like the reverb in my #94 and #124: spacious, but not sure at all.

One thing that is very different between the ODS with reverb amps and the clone of #005-clone (the Steel String Sultan from AN is a clone of the HPD of Bludotone, which is a clone of the original #005) I've build: the reverb. The reverb in the #005 is much more like a Fender reverb and consequently sounds like that too. I wouldn't call it sure per se, but it is less spacious, ambient and controllable than the reverb in my ODS reverb amps.

That said, your design would work. Some suggestions:

Drop R13 and R14. No need for an extra voltage divider if you can do that with R16 in conjunction with the pot. That would be more in line with the design of SSS #005. You might want to adjust R16 to something higher in value. Adding a cap-resistor (R15+C10) to retain high end might or might not be needed.

C4 can be 2n2 like in some Fenders and #005. C7 is 470p in #005.

R11-C8 not needed. R10 can be anything from 68k to 220k, depending on the high end content you want and the overdrive characteristics you desire. You can also connect R11-C8 directly to the grid with R10 in front of it, much like on V1b of some ODS'es.

In the next post I'll propose an idea that fits an ODS better and is much more like the #60 reverb. Also I have a proposal for a MOSFET loop that works very well in front of the master volume.

As a last note: I'm currently working on a Dumbleator that will fit a Hammond 1590D enclosure. With 180x120x50 mm that is much more portable than a rack mount unit.
rootz

Post by rootz »

Stephen, here's an idea for a 2 tube reverb that is reminiscent of the one in #60. This frees up a tube for a built in Dumbleator.
rootz

Post by rootz »

This is the loop currently in my #94 reverb. It is a Metroamps Zero loss fx loop. It goes in front of the master volume. I can't remember if your amp has a global master in front of the PI or if the reverb is right after the OD relay and in front of the clean master. This loop does not work well after the clean master. The objective of the driving LND150 of the loop is to attenuate a rather hot preamp signal to guitar fx level (not line level!).

I can vouch for the zero loss in the name. What goes in, comes out of the loop again. So signal strength wise it is transparant. Sound wise it is pretty good too. Adds a bit of 2nd harmonics, but as far as my ageing ears tell me, there is no loss in frequencies/adverse effect on the high end.

The biggest downside? Not the MOSFETS. Your effects in the loop are probably solid state as well. But it does not offer the tone shaping a Dumbleator does, none of it. No CF compression. No intended high end roll off.