First Dumble Amp Build, Just a Few Questions on this Chasis

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

guitarcollector

First Dumble Amp Build, Just a Few Questions on this Chasis

Post by guitarcollector »

I just recently bought a Chasis and circuit boards (Its on the attachment). What schematic would be best for this amp? If any one could give me information on this it would be greatly appreciated. I'm a newbie, Always dreamed of owning a Dumble one day and a guy on the gearpage sold it. and My amp tech said he would give me a hand on it.

Looks like it would be a 100w amp, looks like 4 6L6's and 3 12AX7's. Would the HRM or Non-HRM schematic be best. From what I have read on hear I think the Non-HRM would be best for me. Would that work in this? And does anyone have a wiring schematic for this? I've got a schematic, I can read it a little, My amp tech can tell me, but I'd like to be able to a lot on my own. But to me a schematic doesnt make much sense at all as to how it goes on a circuit board. Or maybe some pointers on it.

Also who can I get a cabinet for a head for this chasis?

I'm sure as I get going on this I'll have more questions.

Thanks in advance, and thank you all for such a great site and so much great info.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete

Re: First Dumble Amp Build, Just a Few Questions on this Cha

Post by Pete »

- You could do 50W if that is your preference, just choose appropriate transformers.
- HRM or NON HRM, neither is really dictated by the chassis type/style
- schematics are in the files section I think (so I've read)
In general, look over and study any and all pics of insides, original or not. It will start to become a bit clearer. Parts and board layout has become somewhat standardized and you will begin to see similarities. Take your time, it can be difficult for a first timer. You really need the skill of seeing the correlation of schematic to what you are seeing in the chassis. This is where you may need your tech. Also, there are drawings of parts layouts here someplace.
But, it seems to go without saying around here that building amps "from scratch" is not for the novice, we are working in very close proximity to lethal voltage.

I have no tips for cabs, perhaps a friend with woodworking/cabinet skills. Good luck
guitarcollector wrote:Looks like it would be a 100w amp, looks like 4 6L6's and 3 12AX7's. Would the HRM or Non-HRM schematic be best. From what I have read on hear I think the Non-HRM would be best for me. Would that work in this? And does anyone have a wiring schematic for this? I've got a schematic, I can read it a little, My amp tech can tell me, but I'd like to be able to a lot on my own. But to me a schematic doesnt make much sense at all as to how it goes on a circuit board. Or maybe some pointers on it.

Also who can I get a cabinet for a head for this chasis?

I'm sure as I get going on this I'll have more questions.

Thanks in advance, and thank you all for such a great site and so much great info.
Sven

Re: First Dumble Amp Build, Just a Few Questions on this Chasis

Post by Sven »

Greetigns,

Nice looking chassis and boards! Well, if you do not wish to take chances and would like to make a non-HRM amp that is amply documented on this Web page, than you should build a D'Lite, which has precise and highly readable schematics and layout color drawings, as well as bill of materials -- all mega-documented on this and Brown Note web page. All instructions are given to do a step-by-step building for a beginner and expert. There are many useful comments and pictures by dozens of people who already built D'Lite amp.

D'Lite sounds excellent and there are many clips to prove it. It is an amp with two output valves, either 2x 6V6 or 2x 6L6, with minor bias adjustments, howerer, if you need more power, I guess it could easily be built as an amp with four output valves. Your choice (it does not matter if two valve openings remain unused if you build an amp with 2 output valves, anyway).

The good thing about D'Lite is that it essentially focuses on all the good qualities of a D-type amp. Later you could make some modifications, including building with relays (which you need for live playing of any amp). Actually, relays are available from one of the participants of this forum, with populated boards as well. REally nice (I shall get me some soon if he plans to sell one more batch)

Last but not least, you have a 20 page file with all the building instructions and pictures of D'Lite, done by Normster.

All the best,

Sven