Ryan & Erwin's SSS #002 Madness

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rccolgan

Re: Ryan & Erwin's SSS #002 Madness

Post by rccolgan »

New chassis should be arriving this week from FedEx. Once I receive them I'll look them over and publish plans for how the chasiss will be sold. I'm trying to give everyone flexibility and have their own name on the front and back. If you want black chassis with SRV's SSS style font, sure thing. If you want a chassis and you want to handle your own powder coating for a cheaper chassis cost, sure thing. I got a lot of feedback from my last chassis run so I'm going to explore customizations a bit and I think I got it figured out :D Erwin has a few chassis as well for our members in the European market. Soon soon soon!
Ryan
https://www.thetonegeek.com/
Ssrr1977

Post by Ssrr1977 »

I will take set
rccolgan

Post by rccolgan »

I put up more details about chassis availability in the For Sale section.https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33376 I'm waiting on my sign shop to finalize the pricing of artwork with the chassis, but you are more than free to purchase now a brushed finish chassis for your own experimentation. Overall, I was able to figure out how to lower costs and offer more customized options for us. Erwin will post soon as well for our friends in Europe.
Ryan
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I presume the EU chassis will have the regular IEC cutouts for the mains?

Also the cutout hole for the footswitch? I see no relays, what is switchable? and do the EU ones have the regular din cutout or the old style switchcraft XLR?

looking great guys :D

M
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

norburybrook wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:48 am I presume the EU chassis will have the regular IEC cutouts for the mains?

Also the cutout hole for the footswitch? I see no relays, what is switchable? and do the EU ones have the regular din cutout or the old style switchcraft XLR?

M
Hi Marcus,

There is a hole at the bottom of the chassis for a ac mains cable with clamp.

The cutout for the footswitch is a switchcraft XLR. The footswitch can punch in out the reverb by simply grounding the outcoming reverb signal. No relays needed.

Erwin
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

erwin_ve wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:10 am
norburybrook wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:48 am I presume the EU chassis will have the regular IEC cutouts for the mains?

M
Hi Marcus,

There is a hole at the bottom of the chassis for a ac mains cable with clamp.

The cutout for the footswitch is a switchcraft XLR. The footswitch can punch in out the reverb by simply grounding the outcoming reverb signal. No relays needed.

Erwin
Cool :D although I never click reverb in and out though...who does? If I build, then I will make the FET switchable and have the gain pot in the FET input jack. I find this a great /useful feature :D If I'm getting a transformer made I can get an extra tap and I have one of your rectifier/filter boards ready to go :D

I'm talking myself into this aren't I?

M
rccolgan

Post by rccolgan »

Hey Marcus, one cool trick is the Amphenol courtesy outlet cutout allows for an IEC connector to drop right in and the mount holes line up as well. Builder's choice. Anything else we can do to push you over the edge and build one?
:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryan
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

I don't think a lot of pushing should be necessary - it is easily one of the best, if not the best amp I've built :) Definitely unique sounding.
Plus that the boring part like planning and drilling the chassis and the boards has already been kindly completed for you:)

Niki
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

rccolgan wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:39 pm
. Anything else we can do to push you over the edge and build one?
:D

LOL...yes, get the UK government to open the theatres and concert halls so I can work!!!

M
dreric

Post by dreric »

I got my boards this week! Very nice quality. Well done!

Thinking about making a beast with a transformer set from a 1970's Fender PS 160 (2 - 6550s)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440
rccolgan

Post by rccolgan »

Nice, @dreric! That looks fantastic! Plenty of room. Glad the boards arrived safely. Happy building!
Ryan
xtian

Post by xtian »

Eric, something is clearly wrong with the PT. It's larger than my first car.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

dreric wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:44 am I got my boards this week! Very nice quality. Well done!

Thinking about making a beast with a transformer set from a 1970's Fender PS 160 (2 - 6550s)
Hi Dreric,

I built an amp with that set. It sounds as much as it weighs!

Thanks,
Aaron
dreric

Post by dreric »

dreric wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:44 am
I got my boards this week! Very nice quality. Well done!

Hi Dreric,

I built an amp with that set. It sounds as much as it weighs!

Thanks,
Aaron

Hi Aaron,
I remember that build, inspired me to use my set. I can't remember the name of your thread, do you remember?
Eric
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440
Abe5150

Post by Abe5150 »

Thanks Ryan & Erwin just got my chassis and boards they look great the chassis feels solid. I have some questions: 1. By the pics in this thread it looks like 1watt carbon film resistors were used is it okay to use 1/2watt in those places where 1watt were used? 2. Are the front slide switches on-on?