Ryan & Erwin's SSS #002 Madness

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rccolgan

Ryan & Erwin's SSS #002 Madness

Post by rccolgan »

Erwin and I are working on bringing the Steel String Singer #002 builds up a notch. Combining his expertise in PCB creation and my chassis/#002 build experience, we're independently working on prototype builds with the eventual release of a DIY chassis + PCB offering to us builders. I also revised my eyelet layout design to accommodate a few optimizations. https://github.com/colganr/steel-string ... er/Circuit

I started a photo album for the progress of my build using a scrap chassis to prove out the PCB design. I'm really, really excited about this and the response has been tremendous so far. I'm confident that the circuit is 98% correct (I would be at 100% if someone with knowledge of #002 or Two Rock Oak Cliff Special can confirm the circuit accuracy, hint hint hint)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dtXKkZtkknf7buXC8

For this build, I'm using a https://store.mesaboogie.com/products/i ... 390mh.html inductor instead of the SP-118 for comparisons.

Erwin did a fantastic job with the PCB layout and he's refining it based on our experience. No pricing to share yet for the chassis and/or boards, but Erwin will handle the European market and I'll handle the US market.

Before anyone asks, yes, we are also working on getting a schematic confirmed and I encourage you to check out https://github.com/colganr/LTSpiceCircu ... er%20sn002 for the latest corrections. Your feedback is welcomed :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rccolgan on Mon May 18, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan
https://www.thetonegeek.com/
xtian

Re: Ryan & Erwin's SSS #002 Madness

Post by xtian »

This is very cool. I'm into it.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Oh dear....... looks like my next build is shaping up.....I hope we're out of lockdown before this hits the streets as I've no work/money....LOL

Great project guys. Really cool to see things like this starting to appear from members, it shows things are moving forwards.

M
timrobertson100

Post by timrobertson100 »

I'm in too. Probably going to build out a 2x 6l6 35W model using vibrolux transformers I have on hand.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Looks like fun guys and I certainly will look forward to chassis and boards in future thanks.

Mark
dreric

Post by dreric »

I totally into a board set, when will you make them available?
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

dreric wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:49 am I totally into a board set, when will you make them available?
Hi Eric,

The PCB are available; if you're US based PM Ryan. If you're EU based PM me. That keeps shipping reasonable.
Chassis availability: aprox: 1-3 weeks

Erwin
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

erwin_ve wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:01 am
dreric wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:49 am I totally into a board set, when will you make them available?
Hi Eric,

The PCB are available; if you're US based PM Ryan. If you're EU based PM me. That keeps shipping reasonable.
Chassis availability: aprox: 1-3 weeks

Erwin
oooooohhhh :D

anyone care to hazard a guess as to whether one of these SSS will be significantly different from my Wonderland/JM amp? my wonderland/JM is running 500v on the 6L6 plates and has the switches for all the NFB

M
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Guys these boards look great! The USA + Europe synergy is a great idea too!
I wonder if these boards will fit into a 19 in by 8 in chassis for a 2 x 6L6 version ( with re-drilling of the tube locations)

Cheers
Guy.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Guy77 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:09 pm Guys these boards look great! The USA + Europe synergy is a great idea too!
I wonder if these boards will fit into a 19 in by 8 in chassis for a 2 x 6L6 version ( with re-drilling of the tube locations)

Cheers
Guy.
Hi Guy,

You have to mount the PT outside of the chassis, otherwise no room. And still then very tight; I'm not sure if thats a good idea
Attached a pic of the boards across my latest ODS build..

Erwin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Thanks for the picture of the boards in your ODS chassis Erwin.
Yes it is tight.

Cheers
G
rccolgan

Post by rccolgan »

Well. The PCBs are CONFIRMED. The scrap-chassis amp sounds just as wonderful as my hand point-to-point! :D Great job, Erwin, with your PCB design work!

Few notes about the attached pictures. Scrap chassis. Note the front panel switch location is not center, and the tube layout is not perfect inside.

Erwin & I are both having chassis made that are optimized for the PCBs, as well as compatible with the point-to-point layout. Erwin is a little ahead of me for chassis availability (1-3 weeks he predicts). I'm getting an engineering sample next week of a chassis and then it's figuring out silk screening etc. so the US market will be figured out soon and I'll communicate once I get a handle on availability.

Now that the PCB's are confirmed. I'm selling a full set for $150 USD shipped within the US market and Erwin is the equivalent in local currency for the EU market.

Questions are welcomed. Tone demo coming as well although it's technically the same as point to point.
Ryan
https://www.thetonegeek.com/
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

I’m so happy I already built the SSS :) With no time and no space it would have been pain to watch this great stuff floating around me.
To anyone contemplating - the SSS is DA AMP. With this set it’s easier than ever. Go,go,go
Niki
BarryW

Post by BarryW »

nice work! I really need to give one of these a go. Looking forward to seeing the chassis
Abe5150

Post by Abe5150 »

Put me down for a Chassis and board set.