Different Bypass Caps on CL2 ?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pedro

Different Bypass Caps on CL2 ?

Post by pedro »

Hi

Ive been trying out variations of bypass caps on CL2 after rebuilding my ODS 50 W HRM.

I'm liking the added bottom end smoothness from 10uF and more on CL2 rather than the 5uF from the schematic, and from the advice of some of you.
Not sure its helping the OD sound though.
PS : I'm using a 1994 McCarty.

Has anyone else found this extra capacitance to be helpful on certain amps ?

It may just be that the extra bottom end is smoothing some of the peaks in my 4x12 which has Celestion V30s in it. ( I know V30s are not first choice for this amp, but dont want to shell out just yet on more speakers )

Any thoughts ?
Cheers
Pete C
pedro

Re: Different Bypass Caps on CL2 ?

Post by pedro »

dont seem to be getting much response since I came back to the forum !

getting paranoid - have I been boycotted ? ! :cry:

Rgds
Pete C

PS - making CL2 switchable between the different caps - so who cares !!!!

PPS - I miss getting replies :cry: :oops: :D
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

I actually had to reduce my CL2 cathode bypass to 3.3uF to get some boominess out of the tone - both clean and OD. Did the same on CL1, but I think I went to 2.2uF there. The 4.7-10uF range was just too much bass in my build.
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...
Chris333

Post by Chris333 »

My non-HRM clean was too boomy on neck PU, but OD on bridge PU was pretty good. On CL2 I switched up from 5uf to 10uf on the cathode bypass, but down from .05 to .03 on the coupling cap. The boominess went away in the cleans, but didn't lose thickness in OD. Seems like when the tone is half-way close, changing one CB or coupler by itself often messes things up as much as it helps, at least in the stuff I've built... Anyway, the combination worked pretty well. I wouldn't have thought of changing two components in opposite directions in the same stage. IIRC, the idea came from a Dogears post.
pedro

Post by pedro »

interesting Chris - I'll experiment some with that - I like that "balancing" approach.

Funnily enough it brought back to mind how I used to like my signal path set up when I had my first "real" amp.

I used to have a Tele and used to use an EH treble boost to really push all the top end then I used to roll off the treble and top mids on the amp.
( a truly ugly but sonically beautiful Kitchen-Marshall 100watt PA amp )
The result was a really smooth singing tone which I couldnt achieve just using the amps EQ.

i like to do the same thing with rangemaster clone into an amp with all the top rolled off - some how boosting the treble and then cutting it later in the chain seems to do something special.

I need to experiment with a few different speakers with the varying bypass caps - amazing what a difference a smal change can make - especially when you turn the amp up fairly loud.

Cheers
Pete C