SSS002 build happiness

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

GAStan

Re: SSS002 build happiness

Post by GAStan »

Resurrecting an old thread...

First, THANK YOU for all of the work you have done on SSS02!!!

I think I see an error on the layout. On the final two 20uF filter caps in the can providing power to V1 and Reverb: B+ is tied to the Negative terminal of the can cap, then the 1k resistors to the the positive terminals. This puts the caps in parallel with the 1k resistors, actually putting a small reverse polarity charge on them.

Correct wiring would have the negative cap can terminal tied to ground.
Glenn
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

GAStan wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:31 pm Resurrecting an old thread...

I think I see an error on the layout. On the final two 20uF filter caps in the can providing power to V1 and Reverb: B+ is tied to the Negative terminal of the can cap, then the 1k resistors to the the positive terminals. This puts the caps in parallel with the 1k resistors, actually putting a small reverse polarity charge on them.

Hi Glenn,

Im not sure what you mean. The can cap middle 4/5 lugs are all positive sides of the can. The negative sides are just outside the middle. I grounded mine through the chassis connection with a screw/bolt. When in doubt see a spec sheet for the can cap you use, They are not all the same.
See pic;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

erwin_ve wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:54 pm
GAStan wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:31 pm Resurrecting an old thread...

Hi Glenn,

Im not sure what you mean. The can cap middle 4/5 lugs are all positive sides of the can. The negative sides are just outside the middle. I grounded mine through the chassis connection with a screw/bolt. When in doubt see a spec sheet for the can cap you use, They are not all the same.
See pic;
I understand what you're saying Erwin. (BTW that's clever putting that first section in parallel with the previous cap).

On the layout it has 5 terminals for a 4 cap can. One must be negative common?

Or maybe HAD wired it as you have it, paralleling the first can cap with the previous cap?
Glenn
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

This is the 4x20uF I have experience with, and think of when I see 5 terminals on a 4 cap can.
Single-Section and Multi-Section Can-Style Electrolytic Capacitors (1).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glenn
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

GAStan wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:52 pm This is the 4x20uF I have experience with, and think of when I see 5 terminals on a 4 cap can.

Single-Section and Multi-Section Can-Style Electrolytic Capacitors (1).pdf
Thats a different can cap. See the BOM for the SS002 project: https://www.cedist.com/products/capacit ... ectrolytic
Here's a screenshot for SSS002 and SSS001 and see how they are grounded.
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

The Layout shows 5 terminals on the can cap. Why?

The gut shot you posted of #002 is very blurry and pixelated, and the two large resistors block all but one terminal. It's impossible to tell how many terminals are on that can. How do we know HAD used a C-EC20X-475 cap? Has someone documented it from the original amp?

Also how many of the 4 cap sections are actually in use? To me it looks like 3 (but its very hard to say for sure), not just 2 as the hand drawn schematic shows. *EDIT: see next post*

Erwin, I understand that you (and others) have put in a great amount of work researching and documenting these amps. I'm VERY grateful. I can see you take great pride in your work. Please understand I'm in no way criticizing this work, but I see things I'm curious about so am asking. I've read much of what has been written but very well may have missed (or read and forgotten) previous conversations and apologize if this is the case. :D
Last edited by GAStan on Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

I'm mistaken, I missed it before. The handrawn schematic does show 3 sections being used after the 4k7.

Rev 7 PDF shows the first section twice, once under the circled B before the triangle arrow, once again after.
Glenn
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

GAStan wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:38 pm The Layout shows 5 terminals on the can cap. Why?

The gut shot you posted of #002 is very blurry and pixelated, and the two large resistors block all but one terminal. It's impossible to tell how many terminals are on that can. How do we know HAD used a C-EC20X-475 cap? Has someone documented it from the original amp?

Also how many of the 4 cap sections are actually in use? To me it looks like 3 (but its very hard to say for sure), not just 2 as the hand drawn schematic shows. *EDIT: see next post*

Erwin, I understand that you (and others) have put in a great amount of work researching and documenting these amps. I'm VERY grateful. I can see you take great pride in your work. Please understand I'm in no way criticizing this work, but I see things I'm curious about so am asking. I've read much of what has been written but very well may have missed (or read and forgotten) previous conversations and apologize if this is the case. :D
Hi Glenn, no worries. I'm responding to your comments in between short breaks at my job so it might look different than meant, sorry for that.
Can cap for Sss002 only using 3 nodes out of 4. The can is overkill but looks and works the same as the original.
I understand the confusion in the layout but the Can negative side is grounded through the mounting screws or the lugs that have a physical connection with the can.
When you have them IRL there is no confusion really.

Erwin
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

Hi Erwin, I understand. Obviously I'm basing what I posted on my own experience with the cap can I posted the spec sheet to earlier. The negative common on it is isolated from the can itself allowing one to easily ground it where they wish.
Glenn