270pf vs. 330pf treble cap - which do you prefer and why?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

TimS

270pf vs. 330pf treble cap - which do you prefer and why?

Post by TimS »

Wondering what people's thoughts are regarding those two treble cap values. Is one better for humbuckers and one for single coils, or cleans vs. leads? How big of a difference is there between the two, and is it worth making both options available?
novosibir

Re: 270pf vs. 330pf treble cap - which do you prefer and why?

Post by novosibir »

Try to not only look at a bordered area in your amp, deciding the treble cap's value. Try to see your amp as an entire organism and try to feel, what YOUR amp likes better, based on YOUR playing style!

When you do so, then it takes you only 5-10 minutes, to decide about this concern - and after it's the best solution for YOU :wink:

Just my 2 €

Larry
Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery
PaisleyTube

Post by PaisleyTube »

I fully agree with Larry regarding a small thing in the whole chain but...
in general you'll get more hi-mids using a 330p io. a 270p treble-cap.

Just give it a try and use what you like.
Chris
Love, peace & loudness!
TimS

Post by TimS »

That's all true, and I'm definitely going to experiment. I'm just trying to decide whether I want to start with a three-way switch (between 270pf, 330pf, and something in the vicinity of 470-500pf) or a two-way switch (dropping either 270pf or 330pf).

If the difference between 270pf and 330pf is fairly subtle, I'll go with the two-way and decide which I prefer. If the difference is significant enough to make both of those options worth having, I'll start with the three-way. Either way, I can always change it later; I'm just looking for a good starting point.
novosibir

Post by novosibir »

TimS wrote:If the difference between 270pf and 330pf is fairly subtle, I'll go with the two-way and decide which I prefer. If the difference is significant enough to make...
If you have sensitive ears - or even 'Dogears' :wink: - then you'd hear even 10p steps there! But of course such small steps aren't worth, to put it onto a switch.

I'd not recommend values over 390p - sounds too much booaaarrr there. I'd rather recommend to try the steps 250p, 270p, 300p, 330p, 360p & 390p and find YOUR two personal favourites, which - as I've already mentioned above - also depends on your amp and playing style.

And when you're rather a guitar player than a 'equipment player', then a 2-pos. switch might be enough IMO.

Larry
TimS

Post by TimS »

novosibir wrote:I'd not recommend values over 390p - sounds too much booaaarrr there.
Just curious: what do you mean by "too much booaaarrr"?
novosibir

Post by novosibir »

TimS wrote:Just curious: what do you mean by "too much booaaarrr"?
Too much bawling high-mids instead of the sweet nice highs.

Larry
TimS

Post by TimS »

novosibir wrote:
TimS wrote:Just curious: what do you mean by "too much booaaarrr"?
Too much bawling high-mids instead of the sweet nice highs.
Is it just that it sounds un-Dumblely, or does it simply sound bad period? I actually wouldn't mind being able to get some more high-mids when desired, so long as I can still get the standard Dumble tone as well (hence the switch).

Thanks for all the info. :)
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

By increasing the treble cap you will get more high mids, to a point. Beyond that point (about 1000pf) you will get more mid mids and beyond another point (about 2000pf) more low mids. The effect is most noticeable the more the treble control is turned up. Below 4 (10 o'clock) the difference is not as pronounced.

Larry's approach - try, play and listen - is the best one. I believe it is fair to say that no two people on this forum have the exact same playing technique, touch, guitar, amp parts and speakers so at the end of the day noone will be able to exactly tell what you are going to hear except for rough directions. The only downside to the try and listen approach is that it takes a lot of time, especially if you want/need to test changes in an amp in a band situation.
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Are you using the mid- boost?

Fwiw, I tend to prefer 330pf with a .01 mid cap, and 270pf with a .02 mid cap.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works