Dumble Sound?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jam-mill

Dumble Sound?

Post by jam-mill »

Would appreciate knowing if others think the guitar sound approaches that of the 'Dumble' sound?

All 3 pick-ups of the Strat were used on the track.

Thank-you, in advance, for listening and commenting.

-jack

Mile_High.mp3
Mod Edit: Fixed link to the mp3.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John 15:12-13
10thTx

Re: Dumble Sound?

Post by 10thTx »

I think it sounds excellent! I definitely think it has some of the dumblish vowel tone and nice mid tone considering single coils. I don't hear quite as much sustain or overdrive in the notes as in Dumbles. Lovely tone, I'd be happy with it.

IF I had heard that on a song, my first guess would be some kinda Dumble variation/clone.

How did you get the sound?

with respect, 10thtx
jam-mill

Re: Dumble Sound?

Post by jam-mill »

10thTx wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:24 pm I think it sounds excellent! I definitely think it has some of the dumblish vowel tone and nice mid tone considering single coils. I don't hear quite as much sustain or overdrive in the notes as in Dumbles. Lovely tone, I'd be happy with it.

IF I had heard that on a song, my first guess would be some kinda Dumble variation/clone.

How did you get the sound?

with respect, 10thtx
10thtx,

Thank-You for the kind compliments and providing the feedback describing the details of what you heard or did not hear. The interesting thing about the settings of the 102-based clone is that the bright switch is enabled and OD and PAB are engaged through-out. There is a d-lator in the loop, but no effects except a volume pedal (which is not all of the way up). A Shure SM-57 microphone is used to record the amp and is connected straight in to the D-to-A. Reverb is applied (post) via a DAW plug-in; There is no other alteration of the recorded signal.

Forgot to mention that I did the guitar track in one take (note the late pick-up change from middle to bridge at about 2:20).

Additional notes about the track:
I played my fretless 5-string (panned right) and Fender Jazz 4-string (panned left) to double the bass line. This is similar to the original recording in which the bass part is doubled by a synth bass sound.

I composed and sequenced my own drum part.

Most of the keyboard parts are true to the transcription of the original recording.

Regards,
-jack
John 15:12-13