Relay and FET Board Issue

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JammyDodger

Relay and FET Board Issue

Post by JammyDodger »

Hey All,

It's been quite a while since I've checked in here. I had built a 100W ODS style amp using the great information on this board and from Brandon (Bludutone) in 2007.
I haven't played it in many years but I just found (and bought) a combo cabinet complete with an EV speaker. I decided to swap from the head to my next cabinet and see how the amp sounded.
I have found two problems that didn't exist the last time I played the amp and I thought I'd check in and see what wisdom I might fined here on this board.

First off - the Overdrive channel doesn't seem to work. I can switch it from the clean channel using the foot-switch on the manual switches and the sound drops to nearly zero. The lights on the foot-switch come on but the sound drops out.
The clean channel sounds great and the PAB works.

Secondly - The FET channel has stopped working. This is not really a big deal as I never used it. I only noticed this as I was trouble-shooting issue #1. There is a low volume, thin sound unless I strum really hard and then it comes on full blast but is crackly and distorted.

Before I pull the chassis out I thought I'd ask the group for some insight. Thanks for everyone's help today and all those years ago.

Cheers, Mike
The Jammy Dodger
ijedouglas

Re: Relay and FET Board Issue

Post by ijedouglas »

JammyDodger wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:53 pm Hey All,

It's been quite a while since I've checked in here. I had built a 100W ODS style amp using the great information on this board and from Brandon (Bludutone) in 2007.
I haven't played it in many years but I just found (and bought) a combo cabinet complete with an EV speaker. I decided to swap from the head to my next cabinet and see how the amp sounded.
I have found two problems that didn't exist the last time I played the amp and I thought I'd check in and see what wisdom I might fined here on this board.

First off - the Overdrive channel doesn't seem to work. I can switch it from the clean channel using the foot-switch on the manual switches and the sound drops to nearly zero. The lights on the foot-switch come on but the sound drops out.
The clean channel sounds great and the PAB works.

Secondly - The FET channel has stopped working. This is not really a big deal as I never used it. I only noticed this as I was trouble-shooting issue #1. There is a low volume, thin sound unless I strum really hard and then it comes on full blast but is crackly and distorted.

Before I pull the chassis out I thought I'd ask the group for some insight. Thanks for everyone's help today and all those years ago.

Cheers, Mike
Hey Mike,

Check your V2 tube for your first issue. Had the same issue and it was a bad tube. Swap in another and see if it works.

Not sure on the FET. Try cleaning the jack with some deoxit and see if that helps before pulling the chassis
Ian
JammyDodger

Re: Relay and FET Board Issue

Post by JammyDodger »

Ian,

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Best Regards, Mike
The Jammy Dodger