My hybrid SSS-002 build

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

TroyBoy

My hybrid SSS-002 build

Post by TroyBoy »

Hey All,

I’ve started my build of my #002 hybrid type clone.

It’s built off of a Ceriatone chassis.

I’ve designed a new front panel which incorporates dual foot switchable MVs with front panel switchable/foot switchable reverb defeat on MV2.

It will be running a 12BH7 cathode driver.

Most importantly, all transformers have been custom-wound for the project and are HUGE!!! A part of this is due to wanting to go crazy with lowering the noise floor, so all nine pin tube sockets will be fed 12VDC as a heater supply.

I’ll keep everyone posted as I build, and if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to hit me up....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TroyBoy on Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just an Idiot doing stupid things because I can...
TroyBoy

Re: My hybrid SSS-002 build

Post by TroyBoy »

A few more pics...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dan46n2

Post by dan46n2 »

Can you give us more details about the transformers? Where are you getting them custom wound... and would love to know if you think it really did make a difference in how the amp sounds.
TroyBoy

Post by TroyBoy »

dan46n2 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:59 am Can you give us more details about the transformers? Where are you getting them custom wound... and would love to know if you think it really did make a difference in how the amp sounds.
Hi Dan46n2,

There's a few differences.

In the output TX I've used a combination of output and power laminations and the primary wound to 2K.

The power TX has a VERY big 12V winding to provide current enough to heat 5 12ax7's, a 12bh7, 4 relays and lighting. It also has a 90V winding for bias. 750v (375-0-375) HT at 250mA.

The choke is 5H, 100 ohms.

Most reverb TX's are wound to 8 ohm yet feed a 10 ohm impedance, so to better match my reverb circuit I've had the reverb TX wound 2575 ohm/ 10 ohm.

They're wound by Voller Transformers here in Australia. With postage of typical Hammond type stuff here to Australia its much cheaper, and I get to specify every part of the build, which is nice.

Transformers are such a hot topic, so I'm not getting into the "sound" discussion. I've made a lot of amps for myself, and I know what I like the sound of, so I go after that. One of my main aim with this build is to bring the noise floor down as far as I can, hence the stupidly overcooked 12V supply!!!

Should be a fun build...
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Hi Troy,

I was chatting to a friend a few weeks ago about Voller transformers. He didn’t know if they were still winding them.
I was thinking of getting some made, keen to hear how your build sounds.

Thanks,
Aaron
TroyBoy

Post by TroyBoy »

Aaron wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:00 am Hi Troy,

I was chatting to a friend a few weeks ago about Voller transformers. He didn’t know if they were still winding them.
I was thinking of getting some made, keen to hear how your build sounds.

Thanks,
Aaron
He prefers not to. I’ve known Paul for a while and he always seems happy to help me out on a project or two...
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

TroyBoy wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:26 am He prefers not to. I’ve known Paul for a while and he always seems happy to help me out on a project or two...
Yeah, that's what I was told. I think he's the only one who knows how to wind them, or along those lines?