Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

stelligan

Re: Using the passive loop

Post by stelligan »

pedro

Godin LGXT!! Ooooooo...

check these out:
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_pag ... EL_NO=AS73

Extremely affordable Chinese production AS. I own a Black one with Gold hardware. Very Nice. swapped out the Pickups and tuners. Under $400 US
pedro

Post by pedro »

Hi Dave,

the LGXT is a strange beast - I have a love/hate thing going on with it - I love the acoustic and synth access stuff - and the seymours give a realy crisp attack, but he thing wont stay in tune on the G after using the trem, and the tone seems a bit too brittle with the ODS. Lovely though with a rather dull "plexi" and my 18watt.

I'll look into the Ibanez' for sure.

Rgds
Pete
pedro

Post by pedro »

Also the Epi, Jimi - sorry I only saw page 2 of the thread, then saw your reply as well.

cheers
Pete
dobbhill

Post by dobbhill »

Pedro- What pickups are in your LGXT?
I love my Godin LGX after putting in new Duncans: JB lead and a Full Shred rhythm pickup...The Full Shred is amazing in the neck position; sounds like a Jazz, but bigger and better matched with the JB at the bridge....My real guitar is a vintage Tele....
D
pedro

Post by pedro »

Hi D,

I'm not sure whats in there - I'll have to check and let you know.
cheers
Pete
pedro

Post by pedro »

Pete wrote:
pedro wrote:I'm using a Boss RV-5 reverb at the input at moment - but not particularly happy with it - especially on the OD channel.
Anyone have success with any specific delay devices using the passive loop ?
Have you tried the RV-5 in the passive loop? Just wondering if it may work O.K.
Hi Pete - yes - I've now tried the RV-5 in the passive loop and it works great - plenty of signal and still very good tone.....just need to try a few delay devices now.

Cheers
Pete ( another one )
snider

Post by snider »

A friend of mine has a few Dumbles and they all have passive loops. He also has a Dumbleator but uses his TC and Lexicon stuff in the passive loop and says it works great. Rarely uses the Dumbleator.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Yeah, I expected some signal loss or lower headroom but seems to be fine.

Still going to build up another dumbleator externally and try again.
My first internal effort was too noisy.

Might try the kleinulator SS as well but doesnt seem completely proven yet from scanning the brownnote discussions.

I've seen a few interpretations of dumbleators here but does anyone have the info on layout and circuit for the "real deal" ??

Rgds
Pete
odourboy

Post by odourboy »

pedro wrote: Might try the kleinulator SS as well but doesnt seem completely proven yet from scanning the brownnote discussions.

Rgds
Pete
I'm interested in a 'kleinulator' type solution also, but my concern is that with that particular design, there is not sufficient voltage swing (maybe 9V P-P?) to drive the output section to full power without clipping. Is this a valid concern? Can the kleinulator be operated with a higher supply voltage (maybe 30V-50V?)
"Let's face it, the non HRMs are easier to play, there, I've said it." - Gil Ayan... AND HE"S IN GOOD COMPANY!

Black chassis' availble: http://cepedals.com/Dumble-Style-Chassis.html
resophonic1

Post by resophonic1 »

I built the Kleinulator and it sounds great with my D'lite. The best thing about the Kleinulator is the ability to use it in series or parallel. It does smooth the amp out somewhat, which is a nice thing to my ears. I adapted the circuit design to a G10 layout. It was designed around a perfboard layout.

[IMG:640:479]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/ ... 0_0851.jpg[/img]

[IMG:640:479]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/ ... 0_0870.jpg[/img]
kleinm

Post by kleinm »

pedro wrote:Yeah, I expected some signal loss or lower headroom but seems to be fine.

Still going to build up another dumbleator externally and try again.
My first internal effort was too noisy.

Might try the kleinulator SS as well but doesnt seem completely proven yet from scanning the brownnote discussions.

I've seen a few interpretations of dumbleators here but does anyone have the info on layout and circuit for the "real deal" ??

Rgds
Pete
Klein-ulator (my design) is verified.
67:1
kleinm

Post by kleinm »

odourboy wrote:
pedro wrote: Might try the kleinulator SS as well but doesnt seem completely proven yet from scanning the brownnote discussions.

Rgds
Pete
I'm interested in a 'kleinulator' type solution also, but my concern is that with that particular design, there is not sufficient voltage swing (maybe 9V P-P?) to drive the output section to full power without clipping. Is this a valid concern? Can the kleinulator be operated with a higher supply voltage (maybe 30V-50V?)
Excellent catch! You're correct, running a JFET like a J201 at 9v will not get you much in the way of dynamic range at the output (about 6v). However, even at 9v the Klein-ulator performs well. That's not to say that running at a higher voltage wouldn't be even better :wink:. Dynamic range can be expressed in terms of = Vcc-(2*Vp), so you can clearly see (as you alluded to) that increasing your voltage supply (Vcc) will get you a great deal more voltage swing. An increased Vcc will also touch other aspects of the JFET behavior

All the answers to any questions you might have are just waiting to be answered in runoffgroove's seminal Fetzer Valve article. It talks about many of the things you're asking about. Its been out there for years and we're still learning from it.

FWIW - When I put out the Klein-ulator, I didn't post my "final" versions. It was more as a template for people on the Brown Note forum to work from for what they need. I've redesigned and tweaked things more to my tastes, and I encourage people to read the Fetzer Valve article and Randall Aiken's information and tweak it to their own needs. What I needed out of it may be totally different than you, so I didn't really feel like my "final" version would be worth much to many others . :lol:

If you, or anyone for that matter, has any questions I'll do my best to get to them. I'm extremely busy these days...but I'll definitely try to help.
67:1
pedro

Post by pedro »

kleinm,

Hi there - I'd still like to try the kleinulator - any recent layouts or tips ?
I'm a little put off by pics of longish wires running from the board to the controls to be honest , but will give it a shot if it colors the dumble clone tone in a similar way to the dumbleator.

Thanks for generating the design and for sharing it here

Rgds
Pete C