Do all dumble ODS use relays for the switching?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

riscado

Do all dumble ODS use relays for the switching?

Post by riscado »

I guess I'm looking into building a HRM ODS but without the relay switching or any loops or other unnecessary features (at least for my use), I was thinking about drawing a visio layout of this... but I'm wondering wether you guys could lend me a hand to start.

is the Dlite a good place to start, I'd like to make it more resemblant of a real ODS but without all the features (the hrm post OD tonestack) and using 6l6 tubes...
Allynmey
Site Admin

Re: Do all dumble ODS use relays for the switching?

Post by Allynmey »

The D'lite is a great little amp! I really dig mine. I will however put in the relays on the next ones. A few guys have been messin' with solid state switchers instead of mechanical relays and I'm looking into that. On the other hand, I usually play mine on the OD channel and roll back the volume for great cleans. No relays or trips back to the amp required!
riscado

Post by riscado »

Yeah that's why I asked I'm not a fan of channel switching, and since I'm building a dumble type circuit, I know I'll be doing it for the OD, if I wanted real cleans I'd stay with a blackface (I know, not the same) but you get my point, I too like to roll the volume or control pick attack to get my clean...

maybe checking the hrm ods schematic and removing all the switch (one channel only) is the way to go...
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

One of the real beauties of these amps is the dynamics. I find that I'm on the OD channel about 99% of the time. Only when I was pristine cleans do I switch it off, I.E. Early Beatles tones. Otherwise I roll off the volume to the point where pick attack can make it break up a bit.

Personally I like the footswitching, but it's almost unnecessary.
riscado

Post by riscado »

I'll probably design a single channel (OD) layout in visio and post here when I'm done, so you guys can see what you think...
riscado

Post by riscado »

I suppose something like this will work?

I'll try and follow Bob-i's layout to build a layout of this simplified version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Buschman

Post by Buschman »

I find that it depends on how loud you are playing. My clean channel gets a very nice blues distortion that really resembles the OD channel but cleans up much easier than the OD. I am usually gigging & playing pretty loud. I do stay on the OD most of the time. I don't switch in the middle of a song so although the footswitch would be handy, it isn't so necessary. If I want to play Riveria Paradise I just reach back & flip a switch to cut the OD. I do think a footswitch for the PAB would be great as a lead boost. I think with 6l6s the clean mode would be a bit stiffer. I prefer it with the 6v6s but I am in a 3 piece situation & not playing fusion. Build the D"Lite, just leave room for the relays because you mignt change your mind. I can't believe how mine wails.
Thanks to all the input & free info for this amp!!
I've got blisters on my fingers!
riscado

Post by riscado »

I do have a question about the Dlite, which inevitably is... Does it sound like a dumble?
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

Just put a DPDT switch between the .047 and the top of the master so you don't have to use the second tube if desired.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
odourboy

Post by odourboy »

riscado wrote:I do have a question about the Dlite, which inevitably is... Does it sound like a dumble?
I'll let you be the judge. Here's a couple of SoundClick clips by Chuck D'Aloia that particularly impressed me:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... 82575&q=hi

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... 00367&q=hi
"Let's face it, the non HRMs are easier to play, there, I've said it." - Gil Ayan... AND HE"S IN GOOD COMPANY!

Black chassis' availble: http://cepedals.com/Dumble-Style-Chassis.html
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

riscado wrote:I do have a question about the Dlite, which inevitably is... Does it sound like a dumble?
That's a kinda tuff question. No 2 Dumbles are exactly alike. IMHO the D-Lite sounds great, but not a Dumble. It has some of the charactor of a Dumble.