Parallel Loop for a Dumble?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

tictac

Parallel Loop for a Dumble?

Post by tictac »

I think this was brought up ages ago. Does anyone use a parallel loop in their ODS type amps, or is everyone using the Dumbleator series loop?

I didn't see anything in the files section, I'd be grateful for a schematic of what you are using...

TT
Bob-I

Re: Parallel Loop for a Dumble?

Post by Bob-I »

tictac wrote:I think this was brought up ages ago. Does anyone use a parallel loop in their ODS type amps, or is everyone using the Dumbleator series loop?

I didn't see anything in the files section, I'd be grateful for a schematic of what you are using...

TT
I actually breadboarded a parallel loop using a CF as a driver and feedback amp as a mixer. I sounded fairly transparent but I've never built it into an amp. I'll look and see if I can find the schem.
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

Here it is
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

better add a resistor from grid to ground on the second stage :!: :!:
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

heisthl wrote:better add a resistor from grid to ground on the second stage :!: :!:

Actually, the connection between the feedback resistor and the 100k from the return is a pseudo ground. I used this schematic from Aiken amps http://aikenamps.com/FeedbackAmp.htm see finished amp. Mine has some changes for frequency response and gain.
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

Just for grins stick something between 220k and 1meg to ground on the grid - should liven it up a little.
www.RedPlateAmps.com
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

heisthl wrote:Just for grins stick something between 220k and 1meg to ground on the grid - should liven it up a little.
I did, it kills it. With this in place it sounds liek someone threw a blanket over the speakers.
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

Bob-I wrote: I did, it kills it. With this in place it sounds liek someone threw a blanket over the speakers.
That's what you said about Mica caps too....You've got too many blankets at your house :)
www.RedPlateAmps.com
tictac

Post by tictac »

I finally ended up using this, it's a parallel/series loop with bypass but you keep the cathode follower in the circuit at all times. I really like it.

I left the cathode follower in the circuit mainly to keep the leads short and everything on the back panel but you get the noise reduction benefit from the follower as well.

TT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

I don't understand how the return level works in parallel mode. I seems to be after the mixer so it would control both the levels, the effect and the dry.
tictac

Post by tictac »

True. The wet/dry mix would be set by the send control, the return is more like a master volume which is one of the reasons I like it. The return before the mix stage doesnt give you any control unless you have an effect plugged in. This way you have control of the overall level no matter what mode your in. (except bypass of course)