Overdrive Deluxe amp

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

aab0mb

Re: Overdrive Deluxe amp

Post by aab0mb »

Smokebreak3 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:19 am Yea I aped the original vid eq settings. I put a 1M variable resistor pot inline with the 15K to test. When the master was low, it definitely helped to add resistance and take away harshness, but when the master was cranked it dulled it. But that's the place to smooth it out if you want.
We're definitely chasing some things beyond our control...Guitar, speaker, player, iphone compression from 15 years ago, etc
Yeah we might be at the point where people start to tweak the circuit and compare notes. It’ll be a taste thing in the end which is the beauty of building these amps.

Maybe we’ll get lucky in the future and solve the mystery of the pot values, bypass caps and grid ref values.

I like that you went with 1meg on the low gain input. Seems a wise choice.
Smokebreak3

Post by Smokebreak3 »

Absolutely! I look forward to hearing others' musings and clips ;)
Smokebreak3

Post by Smokebreak3 »

dorrisant wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:48 pm I'm working on a board layout for this... Can anyone verify the DRRI board dimensions including the mounting holes? If so, I will post here for general use in a DRRI or similar.
This should be everything , center to center. Not to scale haha. The 4 outside mounting holes are 3/16" from board edge on each side, for all 4, the others close to the eddge are also 3/16"
Forgot to label the lone mounting hole in the left center of the board that has 1 measurement(5") . the distance from top of board to that hole is 5/8"
drri board.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Smokebreak3 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:17 am Ok I took one for the team and made a couple clips with the amp at volume. It's ridiculously loud, but once I got it there I realized it was doing the thing we're all lookin for....at least very close.
My sloppy playing reflects the fact that I was completely a deer in headlights, as I was shocked it was doing the thing, plus the sheer volume of it all... I only lasted 30 seconds or so
Master on 10, Volume on 10, OD around 5.
It's interesting, with the amp cranked, the OD control really controls the wildness of the amp. On 4, it sounds great, but doesn't feedback at will. Almost polite!
Once you get to 5 or 6 on an alpha audio taper pot, it starts to feedback, and that's as high as I got it. I kinda freaked out and shut er down haha.
I've got some regular old jj preamp tubes in there and some NOS RCA 6V6s I've been saving for something. The power tube distortion is where all of that low mid mojo comes from.
The only difference in the clips is where my iphone was in relation to the alnico cream speaker in the deluxe cab.
Schematic is where this amp was at time of video

OVERDRIVE DELUXE 1.2 (1).png
Nice work! Will update the schematic with those values. I think V1 Ck's are 1uF, you can just see in one of the photo's. The rest are 25uf.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bepone

Post by bepone »

according to the latest schematic i would put,

- 1nF in parralel to the v2b cathode 100k,
- v2b cathode resistor 82k instead of 100k
- voltage divider 220k-100k +1uF and connect this mid part to the heaters to help cathode follower Ukh max ratio
- after first overdrive pot in V1b, from the viper 330k-470k instead 15k used

sound in combo is highly dependant of the speaker , so first i will try to aux box (2x12 or 4x12) then after trimming the tone there, i will start to change speakers to come close to that sound with combo (ofcourse it is must have 5-10 different speakers on stock for every normal person :mrgreen: )
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Smokebreak3 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:38 pm
dorrisant wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:48 pm I'm working on a board layout for this... Can anyone verify the DRRI board dimensions including the mounting holes? If so, I will post here for general use in a DRRI or similar.
This should be everything , center to center. Not to scale haha. The 4 outside mounting holes are 3/16" from board edge on each side, for all 4, the others close to the eddge are also 3/16"
Forgot to label the lone mounting hole in the left center of the board that has 1 measurement(5") . the distance from top of board to that hole is 5/8
Ok. Something isn't adding up. Please take a look and correct what I have here. The 2 1/16" between the corner mounts seems off. Also, the 2 3/8" between the two holes on the bottom right are different when laid out with absolute measurements. What do you think?
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Smokebreak3

Post by Smokebreak3 »

It looks like you have 2 1/16 written out as 2 1/8 . For the other two 2 3/8 measurements on far right, they both should be 2.375, but then then would add up to 16 1/4 I think. Shit. I'll re-measure tomorrow
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Yep... The dimension didn't come out as 2 1/16"... So I posted it as it is. No worries, I can wait.

2 1/16 + 3/16 + 3/16 = 2 7/16

or

2.0625 + 0.1875 + 0.1875 = 2.4375

Add another 1/16 in there and you get the 2 1/2, or so I assumed.

Then there is the other end too... :roll:

Tell me what I screwed up.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Smokebreak3

Post by Smokebreak3 »

My apologies, I had 4 incorrect measurements. I think everything adds up now...

The length is actually 16 1/4
The height is actually 2 7/16
2 other intraboard measurements were off by 1/8
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

How about now?
Smokebreak3

Post by Smokebreak3 »

Should be good enough for rock n roll! Someone else may want to confirm, I don't have the DRRI in my possesion anymore
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Yeah... It is just what I needed for this. The job and holidays are delaying me further. I already have a board layout done. I'll see what I can get posted when I get to work tonight.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Look this over and let me know if you find anything that needs to be adjusted... Parts values may be wrong. Doesn't really matter to make the board though.

As you can see from the files below, part of the board wasn't populated. I cut it short. The pdf file is 1 to 1. Print and use how you'd like.

The rar file is a compressed DIYLC file. So if someone else wants to pick it up and complete the layout, feel free. If you do, please post the original DIYLC file here.

This should be enough to get the solder hot... Happy holidays to all!!
aab0mb

Post by aab0mb »

dorrisant wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:36 pm Look this over and let me know if you find anything that needs to be adjusted... Parts values may be wrong. Doesn't really matter to make the board though.

As you can see from the files below, part of the board wasn't populated. I cut it short. The pdf file is 1 to 1. Print and use how you'd like.

The rar file is a compressed DIYLC file. So if someone else wants to pick it up and complete the layout, feel free. If you do, please post the original DIYLC file here.

This should be enough to get the solder hot... Happy holidays to all!!
So is the intention here that it’s directly bolt in to a DRRI rather than drilling the chassis and using a bone stock ab763 replacement board just as the original used?
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Yes