Best grounding point for passive loop ?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pedro

Best grounding point for passive loop ?

Post by pedro »

Where are you guys grounding your passive loop jacks - nearby on the chassis, or right back at the PI ground - or somewhere else ?

Just wondered - I get hung up on these kinds of things ( even if it doesnt buzzzz )

My current ODS build is in a large ex PA amp chassis - so I have long wire runs here and there - at moment I am insulating the loop jacks from ground and running an earth wire back to the point where the the PI/presence circuit is grounded on the ground buss.

Any thoughts or better suggestions ?

Rgds
Pete C
JimiB

Re: Best grounding point for passive loop ?

Post by JimiB »

I just used regular switchcraft jacks that groind on the chassis and haven't noticed any adverse effects.
novosibir

Post by novosibir »

pedro wrote: - at moment I am insulating the loop jacks from ground and running an earth wire back to the point where the the PI/presence circuit is grounded on the ground buss.
That's the best point for it IMO!

Larry
Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

novosibir wrote:
pedro wrote: - at moment I am insulating the loop jacks from ground and running an earth wire back to the point where the the PI/presence circuit is grounded on the ground buss.

Larry
Yeah just make sure that point actually is grounded and not virtual - I just finished a Twin Reverb to clone conversion and tied the grounds for the PI and isolated loop jacks together with the filter cap ground for B+3. Had a very interesting scope display at the speaker output 'til I realized that B+3 ground point didn't go to chassis.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
pedro

Post by pedro »

novosibir wrote:

Larry
Cool, so I am learning something !

BTW, I was persuaded by someone of a "canine dispposition" to go back to 6l6's ( TAD short bottle WGC's ) with the BM values, especially now that I have Bassman replacement iron ( 50W ) in my amp. Glad I did - its quiet as a mouse when idle and sounding fantastic.

Rgds
Pete C