SSS002 build log

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Guy77

Re: SSS002 build log

Post by Guy77 »

I find that bad solder connections are often the culprit with noise in an amp.
After a build, even if the amp is sounding great, I take a chop stick and run it lightly with a bit of pressure across all the Orange caps and electrolytic caps and if I hear the slightest noise I know that there is the possibility for a bad solder connection. It's got to pass the chop stick test LOL.

You must have been so happy when you found it. Congratulations!

Cheers

G
hermannbjorgvin

Post by hermannbjorgvin »

timrobertson100 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:54 pm Took me a while to diagnose this hiss which showed at all positions of the high filter except fully clockwise...

Turned out to be noise on b+. That was suppressed in that high filter position due to the 3000pF-to-ground engaged since it connects through to the plate of V1b.
Reflowing the power board solved the hiss (of course only after I'd tried several other fixes and slightly messed up a clean build. There isn't much room around the filters to solder in situ).

I'm still experimenting with GNFB but will get some sound clips up in a few days.
I have areas in my #002 that I wish I could redo but I think everyone does, Ryan's #002 probably shows the most signs of tinkering since he had to be the first guy to figure everything out

Solution? Another #002.. jk... hmmm not a bad idea though
timrobertson100

Post by timrobertson100 »

Trying my hand at cab making for this one.

I played for a day with a cheapo half-blind dovetail jig but suffered from tear-out in the ply, and after many tests to get the fit of the dovetails OK, discovered it just doesn't clamp perpendicular no matter what I did so it was impossible to get it squared.
Following what others have done here, I went for screwing and gluing a butt joint, waiting a day and then removing the screws, redrilling, and knocking in some long 8mm dowels. I put my dowels in horizontally as the cab mounts to the side panel and I figured this would give better strength when carried by the handle. It seems plenty strong and I can stand on it. It's kinda satisfying building the cabinet - I can recommend it (so far).

I might go for some funky grill cloth like the Couger Mother on this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

you don't even need to remove the screws if you countersink them. I use tight bond wood glue as well. Then use quick drying car body filler to fill the holes, sand it flat then run the router over all the edges. Paint the inside black and you're ready to tolex the next day.

m
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

talbany wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:40 am The only hiss I saw was a little coming off my reverb return amp. Other than that quiet on all settings.
I have mine crammed in an ODS chassis :roll:
Congrats! your pedals will never sound the same again :lol:
Tony
Hi Talbany,

I'm investigating the possibility (near future) of building a SSS #002 in a normal chassis for OD. I'm wondering who builds these chassis and related boards. Can you help me? :D

A hug. Franco
franco mezzalira
VolkerStaub

Post by VolkerStaub »

@timrobertson100

I know you've built this amp like 2 years ago but do you have any good source for those red slide switches?
Can't find them anywhere.
timrobertson100

Post by timrobertson100 »

@VolkerStaub

I bought them from Banzai in Europe if I remember correctly. Perhaps these ones:

https://www.banzaimusic.com/switchcraft ... z-red.html