Vht d-50h tweaks

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Shanedawg

Vht d-50h tweaks

Post by Shanedawg »

Hello, I haven’t been on here in a while. I bought a vht d50 on sat. I used it on the gig that night and it sounds very good. I’m running it with an ev .

Vht encourages mods but I haven’t found anything online yet. I’m trying to find a schematic.

I used to have a red plate and my god was it heavenly. I’m wondering where I should start to give the vht that particular growl that the red plate has. I can’t describe that d thing in words but I’m sure you guys know .

I could post a video of me playing the red plate if you want.

If anyone could help out I’d be very grateful!

Thanks!
talbany

Re: Vht d-50h tweaks

Post by talbany »

Why don't you talk to Henry @ Redplate?

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Shanedawg

Post by Shanedawg »

I’ll send him a message. I just didn’t think he’d divulge his magic!

I’m open to other things to try too. Btw. I wanted an x amp on reverb but it didn’t have a foot switch and I didn’t know if it was proprietary.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Shanedawg wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:19 am I’ll send him a message. I just didn’t think he’d divulge his magic!

I’m open to other things to try too. Btw. I wanted an x amp on reverb but it didn’t have a foot switch and I didn’t know if it was proprietary.
Are you talking about the X-Model from VVT Amps?
Tony
Shanedawg

Post by Shanedawg »

Yes, it was a vvt on reverb but the store in md sold it before I could track down a foot switch.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Shanedawg wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:18 pm Yes, it was a vvt on reverb but the store in md sold it before I could track down a foot switch.
They have a website all you had to do was call them and I am sure Jim would have sent you one out :D

https://www.vvtamps.com/

Tony
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

I had a VHT D50 on the bench for mods the other day. Good sounding amp, owner really liked it but said it wasn't quite open enough, always had to hit it with a pedal to get the top end he wanted.
The amp is a 183 to the letter, except for a few things. The OD trimpot was 50K, instead of 100K, but the series resistance was 270K, so it really made no difference, as that thing gets set relatively low anyways(it is mounted on the back of the chassis). There was also some local nfb added arounmd v1 or v2 cant remember.
But the real change was the snubbers on the OD stages, they were a whopping 330p intead of 25p. I changed them to 25p and 50p I think. It was biased really cold too, 20ma or something. I warmed that up to the usual 30something I like for Fenders
Owner happy.
Shanedawg

Post by Shanedawg »

Thank you very much! 183 huh... I didn’t expect that. Mine is biased at 35 ma. Is this a low or high plate?

I’m getting very good tone as is but I like to tweak a bit.

Selling that redplate was the hardest thing to do to survive but I think the vht will be a good amp for now.

If you want here’s the redplate video. Any suggestions on getting closer to this would be much appreciated.
https://youtu.be/HEcr9qsDsC4
neskor

Post by neskor »

I just ordered one, so when it arrive I will post more pictures with resistor and other element values.
Then we can discuss what to change, upgrade and tweak.
neskor

Post by neskor »

some pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
neskor

Post by neskor »

more pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
neskor

Post by neskor »

I tried also to measure some values, it looks like #183 with some changes
Last edited by neskor on Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shanedawg

Post by Shanedawg »

Hi Nestor, thanks for the pics. I’m still playing mine stock thru an evm12l. I’m certainly interested in what you come up with.
Shane
aab0mb

Post by aab0mb »

Are you quite sure about C11? Seems like a lot of low cut along with the .01 they put on the OD entrance. Got any clips? Would love to hear it!
neskor

Post by neskor »

aab0mb wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:47 am Are you quite sure about C11? Seems like a lot of low cut along with the .01 they put on the OD entrance. Got any clips? Would love to hear it!
you are right, it should be 0.01uF